MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #41
Waerloga

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
how does one outgrow a bike? do you get taller? does your skill level exceed a bikes potential?
When you can do the loop in 15 minutes! Thats when!

Ok I'm done.

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ninja 250r sloshedmrbones Performance and Modifications 9 08-31-2008 05:25 PM
"GSX-R 600 or Ninja 250r?" Thread Closed Due to Petty Bickering chrisd Off Topic 19 06-19-2008 08:29 PM
ninja 250r Twitch General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 04-01-2008 10:55 AM
While I'm still waiting on the Ninja 250r to come in... AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 02-12-2008 05:39 AM
Ninja 250R First Bike? AhmadHasib General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 01-07-2008 09:28 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #42
Brena23
Mothernugget

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ* View Post
Nah, if you wanna just learn you can pick up a used 250 real cheap and then sell it for near what you paid...if you wanna keep it, get a new one. Just be patient and shop around
Very good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
yep your not going to find a minty gxsr for that price.

250 if your serious about learning

600 if you just want to pose

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Here's my take ... no mater how controlled you think you can be ... when you're a noob you don't have a lot of experience and muscle memory, so when that day comes when you get caught unawares and you have to stomp on those brakes, or when you make that noob mistake of getting on the gas just a little too much because you've stalled at a stop light and want to get away fast so no one laughs at you ... you'll wish you had a more forgiving bike.

so what if you only own the 250 for 4-6 months ... you'll make your money back selling it and would have probably learned a lot in the mean time.
the 250s sell for pretty much what you bought them for. Its a GREAT option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxergirloh2 View Post
is this a trick question???? gsxr600 or 250???? go with the REAL bike...gsxr600 ooooohhhh yeeeeaaauhhhh..... =) i took the class and had absolutely no experience with bikes...i started with my 600...now im ready to upgrade in the next yr or two....
Unless you are doing it to pose you dont NEED to upgrade.. maybe you should take tht 600 of yorus out to the track to see its real potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Figure the new guy could use the info to help in regards to who he's listening too.

It'd be interesting to see age, years etc from who's recommending what. :-)
Kind of a resume of sorts.

I am 25 been riding dirtbikes since I was 8 street bikes for 7 years, did my first track day 2 years ago.

I would go with the 250 unless you are a very large guy.
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/ninja-250r.php

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget
Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #43
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
He stated... "But I have no experience with motorcycles whatsoever other than taking MSF course. I did well on both the skills and written test. "

So precisely, what basis or point of reference does he have to gone on?
(Particularly that makes you feel 'safe' in recommending a 600sb?)
i feel "safe" in recommending it because him and i had the same experience level starting out...I...like him....had no experience whatsoever other than the class...i also did well on both tests.... i think a 600 is a great starter bike...and he may never go bigger after the 6 cuz its just that great...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #44
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

what makes a 6 a great starter bike?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #45
Abbas_Raza

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CBR 600RR

I started on a600 but i also fell a couple of times (once on the street and the rest is a parking lot ) but i still say get a 250. practice like crazy in a parking lot and make sure u get really good at making u turn and regular turn. get use to the leaning and breaking. its a lil harder to learn on a 600 cuz of the power it has and weight. My 600 was really heavy compared to most ss bikes.
Dude if u can sell the 250 after u learn for almost the same amount then y not do it ?? it not like ur going to be losing a lot of money. also ur not going to find a 2006 gsxr for 3000 lol the thing i tell every one is dont let ur first bike be a pretty one cuz when u fall its gonna hurt ur felling more then ur scars..
AH BE CAREFUL AND DONT GO BEYOND UR LIMITS NO MATTER WHAT U GET
Old 06-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #46
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Unless you are doing it to pose you dont NEED to upgrade.. maybe you should take tht 600 of yorus out to the track to see its real potential.

uhhhh.....do i know you???? i dont believe you know what i NEED... and i do know the potentials of my bike....thanks for caring though....
Old 06-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #47
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
what makes a 6 a great starter bike?
Sad to say this but...

cheap parts for us later :/:

where is mckee?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #48
Abbas_Raza

Bike(s):
06 CBR 600RR

Quote:
i feel "safe" in recommending it because him and i had the same experience level starting out...I...like him....had no experience whatsoever other than the class...i also did well on both tests.... i think a 600 is a great starter bike...and he may never go bigger after the 6 cuz its just that great...
did u ever fall or drop ur bike ???
Old 06-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #49
dudewhrsmybike

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Thumbs up

Different people learn at different levels. My first bike was a carb'd 06 Kawasaki ZZR600 same as 98-02 ZX-6R which is an ex supersport. I put about 12kish miles on that hoe. I respected it most of the time and I still managed to stay on two wheels. Didn't have any close calls other than trying to cut a u-turn in a driveway and dropped it, confidence inspiring MSF

Honestly, if you have enough respect for the bike and take it slow, you should be able stay on 2 wheels with the 600.

Get a Ninja

(Swear I'm not biased, I've only owned 3 )

But like said, different people learn at different levels, you can learn A LOT through time and road miles (AND TRACK DAYS)

TAKE IT SLOW AND SHOW THE BIKE SOME RESPECT

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #50
Brena23
Mothernugget

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:

uhhhh.....do i know you???? i dont believe you know what i NEED... and i do know the potentials of my bike....thanks for caring though....
haha nope you dont know me but by saying you are needing to upgrade i am over here... what 160 MPH isnt fast eough for u to fly around 610 or wherever?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #51
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
how does one outgrow a bike? do you get taller? does your skill level exceed a bikes potential?
yes racer, most of us r still young and have alot of growing to do! We cant all be old skool!!!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #52
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:

BS, you know your own potential, the bikes way out there, and unless your nicky or matt M, you have no clue to the potential of your bike, ESP if all you do is street ride, "fast " or slow.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #53
b18c1ej8
semi-n00b

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2001 CBR 600 F4I

gixxergirl you should just give up on your arguement racer among many will not hear it and will continue to make you feel like an idiot or defend yourself been down this road with him before it goes straight to no where. everyone wants everyones opinion and they recieve everyones opinion of everyone elses opinion which isnt what was asked for so i will just shrug along and say oh yeah get a 250 they the best ever im soooooooo mad i didnt go with one first i hate my 600

(i agree with you though)
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 10-6:30 Sat. 9-6
281 444 0545
patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com

Motorcycles Unlimited Sig1
Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #54
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brena23 View Post
haha nope you dont know me but by saying you are needing to upgrade i am over here... what 160 MPH isnt fast eough for u to fly around 610 or wherever?
so then brena....explain to me why your street bike is a 1000 and your track bike is a 600 (just goin off ur profile of bikes)......why did you feel the need to upgrade???? what 160 isnt fast enough for you on the streets or wherever you ride???
Old 06-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #55
Abbas_Raza

Bike(s):
06 CBR 600RR

1k rules
Old 06-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #56
Brena23
Mothernugget

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
so then brena....explain to me why your street bike is a 1000 and your track bike is a 600 (just goin off ur profile of bikes)......why did you feel the need to upgrade???? what 160 isnt fast enough for you on the streets or wherever you ride???
HAHA funny you should say that... ACTUALLY since I have been riding since i was 8 years old i went ahead and got the 1000rr first never upgraded from a 600.. I bought the 600 AFTER the 1000. i bought the 1000 from a friend for ALOT LESS than i would have bought a new 600 for my bike didnt even have 200 miles on when i bought it from my friend... I no longer have that bike because 1 WAY more than i would ever need and 2 dont ride streets anymore...

But nice try!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #57
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
You're 33 and he's what age?
You've got... 3 years and 15000.. avg 5k a year.

Myself... 38, got my class M in 85, I've put 4k+ on
my current ride since feb 9th of '08. 15k on the Fz6
before it was totaled out on Jan 9 of 08.
or compare yours to Racers X who I'm failry sure trumps myne in spades
and is a MSf instructor to boot, or maybe Patrick and some of the 'old' folx will chime in.

Why do i ride a 1k?
It was cheaper and had less miles than any available FZ6's and I don't like the position of the full SB's, and 5.1 gal tank. Giving me an approximate range of 200+ miles on the interstate between fill ups.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #58
dudewhrsmybike

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
"Unless you are doing it to pose you dont NEED to upgrade.. maybe you should take tht 600 of yorus out to the track to see its real potential. "

She never stated she NEEDED to upgrade, she said shes ready to upgrade. And by saying ready, she never said she could outride her 600, she just wants something bigger and better, nothing wrong with that. I upgraded and I don't regret my decision one bit. Could I outride my 636? NO! But my ZX-10R makes me happy and I enjoy the out of riding it (and enjoy riding the out of it LOL) and thats what I care about.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
Old 06-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #59
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

ah the ol ego. excellant excuse.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 06-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #60
Brena23
Mothernugget

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
When you can do the loop in 15 minutes! Thats when!

Ok I'm done.

thats exactly right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper15 View Post
I need to resist temptation and stick with a small novice bike like the 250. But those seem to never be available, and it costs over 4 g's out the door brand new. Yesterday on craigslist, I saw a good-looking 06 GSX-R 600 that has never been dropped or raced for sale at $3000. It'd be nice to get that Suzuki.
But I have no experience with motorcycles whatsoever other than taking MSF course. I did well on both the skills and written test.

What do you guys think?
Back on subject.. If the older model 250 can do 110 with a 275 ish lbs man on it then it should be more than enough to LEARN on. Unless you are buying it to be one of the people we read RIP threads on all the time for going to the wall around 610 after posing at PP1

Closed Thread

Advertisement