Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #21
Elistan

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Here's an example of my form:
http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...ewImage=455522

Knee down (or just about) but my toe is still fairly close to the ground. You can just see the little hero blob (hehe, hadn't heard that term before) under my toe, so it's obvious I'm not hanging my foot off, I think. I feel I'm a good bit off the bike ( half off the seat) and the leg is pointed out there.

Another example of my form:
http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...ewImage=455068

I have several thoughts on what's possibly going on:

1) I'm just not off the bike enough. The '07 600RR seat is quite narrow, so having my half off it could be a lot less off the bike than with other models of bikes.

2) I'm not rotating my leg out far enough. It's hard for me to judge this one, since I never get to look at my inside leg while in the corner, so I don't get good feedback on my positioning.

3) My relatively short leg length simply means my knee doesn't get out there very far. Perhaps I simply need to adjust my body positioning. Perhaps aftermarket rearsets would help as well, by raising my foot position and therefore increasing the angle of the bend of my knee.

Here's somebody in a different corner, with a VERY different geometry between tire, toe and knee.

http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...ewImage=455470
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texas Harley Racers Reunion "Gathering & Drags" tripler Events, Meets and Rides 0 08-26-2013 03:33 PM
Final ride for a dear brother GBNF "Sputnik" 7-10-10 Austin Tx Ironhead Events, Meets and Rides 0 07-06-2010 03:16 PM
Question for the Racers yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-10-2009 04:49 PM
Question about adjustable rearset positioning cdill35 Taking it to the Track 10 02-02-2009 01:17 PM
Question to all of you racers Swift E Taking it to the Track 37 02-11-2006 03:37 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #22
Skid

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

You look pretty good. Most all Honda's have low pegs. Here is a picture of me about a year ago. I have aftermarket pegs that are at least 1.5 inchs higher than factory and you can see how close they are. I am off line in this pic (probably due to it being my first race), but it does aid is seeing the peg and foot.

252001432 fzUUY L

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #23
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Having trouble getting that hart photography site to load. I don't have great pics of my body position. The photographer at the last trackday I went to seemed to have a bad habit of catching me on the exit.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #24
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

I have found it depends on the bike. I used stock pegs on the 600rr and absolutely had to use aftermarket pegs on the GSXR600. Of course I like to sit on the tank so to each there own I guess.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #25
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
I'll have to agree with you here dik head
oh ur sooooo gonna visit the weeds on sunday
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #26
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Guys, yall are thinking way too much about this. Not to be an azz, but trying to diagnose riding form in pictures is not going to really help much at all.

The reason I say this is that you have really no idea what lap it was (was it the end of the session, the beginning.. etc), what was going on with that corner (was that one that you just happen to screw up on that lap), what traffic was really like (the photogs are really good these days and will make it look like you're the only one there), and any number of other things.

Even video sometimes doesn't tell the whole story.

Something else to consider is that riding "form" is so varied and subjective. What works for someone else, may not work for you at all. Conversely, what works well for you, may not work for someone else.

Instruction can give you a platform to start from. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do things (within reason, obviously keeping in context of the technique), there is a recommended way that works as a starting point though.

A good case in point is a rider like Troy Bayliss. He has a funky kind of riding style, but I think he's plenty fast... works for him

I've ridden BC's 600RR with adjustable rearsets, and while I wasn't setting the world on fire, I wasn't put-puttin either. I never once drug a toe or scraped a peg, and it wasn't set any higher or lower than my GSXR feels like it's set. The kicker is that I have a habit of turning my toes out when I ride too... works for me
Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #27
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Guys, yall are thinking way too much about this. Not to be an azz, but trying to diagnose riding form in pictures is not going to really help much at all.
Eh. Dragging toes is bad, and it's nice to discuss the issue with other riders, what they've found to be issues and solutions, and what problems if any folks with shorter legs have. You gotta make your riding style your own, but I think it's valid to ask what other people do. After that, it's just practice, practice, practice...
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #28
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elistan View Post
Eh. Dragging toes is bad, and it's nice to discuss the issue with other riders, what they've found to be issues and solutions, and what problems if any folks with shorter legs have. You gotta make your riding style your own, but I think it's valid to ask what other people do. After that, it's just practice, practice, practice...
Don't mis-understand me, I hear you on that, I'm more referring to trying to diagnose the problems and critiquing pictures for riding form. I think the dialog is good and trying to help yourself be a better rider is a good thing, but trying to critique a riding style from a picture is not going to help IMHO.

For the record, dragging toes is not bad. Personally, when I'm racing, if I drag a knee and then touch a toe, I know I've reached my lean angle limits. Now, dragging toes before you ever get to your knee, well, that is something to explore.

I agree that dialog between racers/ riders is a good thing, my post was more to illustrate that there is no concrete right or wrong, black and white answer to riding styles. Just because Keith Code says that a certain thing is right, doesn't make it so for instance.

Regarding looking for answers to riding your bike with stock pegs and not dragging your toes, I think that's been covered. I am over 6' and I didn't have a problem dragging my toes on BC's 600RR, yet several others have :shrugs:

My main point to my post was to illustrate that you can't "teach" a riding style based on a couple of pictures and "so and so says this is wrong" and such (which is where this thread is going).

'Tis all good, I didn't want to stop the dialog, certainly it's a decent discussion, I was just throwin' my $.02 in there
Old 06-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #29
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
oh ur sooooo gonna visit the weeds on sunday
I'm not gonna smoke that $hit on Sunday.
At least not untill the day's over!
Old 06-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #30
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Well my problem isn't dragging toes, my problem is dragging pegs, but not knees. Whatever I'm doing with my body is not allowing me to get my knee stuck out very far, and the peg touches down before my knee does. I was wondering if part of the problem is that I have too long of a reach to the pegs and if moving them up or back (my current trackwhore is an '07 gixxer with some ability to move the pegs around stock) will help at all?

In case you're wondering, I've gone ahead and move my pegs up and back as far as they'll go, but won't get a chance to put the bike through its paces until sunday at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I'm just wondering if i should have even bothered.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 06-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #31
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
I'm not gonna smoke that $hit on Sunday.
At least not untill the day's over!
wrong kinda weed cowboy
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #32
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Well my problem isn't dragging toes, my problem is dragging pegs, but not knees. Whatever I'm doing with my body is not allowing me to get my knee stuck out very far, and the peg touches down before my knee does. I was wondering if part of the problem is that I have too long of a reach to the pegs and if moving them up or back (my current trackwhore is an '07 gixxer with some ability to move the pegs around stock) will help at all?

In case you're wondering, I've gone ahead and move my pegs up and back as far as they'll go, but won't get a chance to put the bike through its paces until sunday at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I'm just wondering if i should have even bothered.
Man, I don't know what to tell you without seeing you ride. Sounds to me like it's going to be a body position issue and that you're not getting off the seat enough maybe...

Dragging pegs on a GSXR with them set back and up? Yeah, there's something going on there.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #33
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:

Dragging pegs on a GSXR with them set back and up? Yeah, there's something going on there.
I rode Hallett last weekend with the pegs set up and forward as this is how it came stock. In the bus stop, a low-speed, tight, ~160° left hander I was tapping the peg down. I moved the pegs back yesterday in preperation for TWS (Texas World Speedway) this weekend to see if it might help.

CMRA #302
Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #34
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I rode Hallett last weekend with the pegs set up and forward as this is how it came stock. In the bus stop, a low-speed, tight, ~160° left hander I was tapping the peg down. I moved the pegs back yesterday in preperation for TWS (Texas World Speedway) this weekend to see if it might help.
I'm confused, the pegs were up and forward from stock? That's weird. I can't see dragging stock pegs in the stock position, so there's got to be something going on.

Are you at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Sunday? If so, look me up and I'll see if I can help or get you to someone who can.

Your best bet might be to hit up Patrick before you ever go to the track and see if he can help.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #35
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
no... im just an
Hey, I'M THE !!!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #36
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
I'm confused, the pegs were up and forward from stock? That's weird. I can't see dragging stock pegs in the stock position, so there's got to be something going on.

Are you at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Sunday? If so, look me up and I'll see if I can help or get you to someone who can.

Your best bet might be to hit up Patrick before you ever go to the track and see if he can help.
Yup they were up and forward stock. I moved them back (still up) yesterday.

Yes I'll be at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on sunday. I PM'ed Patrck about having him set the sag on my bike on saturday so if that happens, I guess I can BS with him then.

CMRA #302

Advertisement