MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Racers 5'10" and under: rearset question

Do any average-short racers out there use the stock rearsets on your bikes? I'm having a little trouble with my body position, and I'm wondering if part of it is my stubby legs, and a long reach to the pegs. HALP!
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texas Harley Racers Reunion "Gathering & Drags" tripler Events, Meets and Rides 0 08-26-2013 03:33 PM
Final ride for a dear brother GBNF "Sputnik" 7-10-10 Austin Tx Ironhead Events, Meets and Rides 0 07-06-2010 03:16 PM
Question for the Racers yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-10-2009 04:49 PM
Question about adjustable rearset positioning cdill35 Taking it to the Track 10 02-02-2009 01:17 PM
Question to all of you racers Swift E Taking it to the Track 37 02-11-2006 03:37 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Do any average-short racers out there use the stock rearsets on your bikes? I'm having a little trouble with my body position, and I'm wondering if part of it is my stubby legs, and a long reach to the pegs. HALP!
i use the stock rearsets on my 06 1000rr. i like them better than aftermarket ones... way more comfortable on the knees. although i do drag the outta the pegs
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
i use the stock rearsets on my 06 1000rr. i like them better than aftermarket ones... way more comfortable on the knees. although i do drag the outta the pegs

Dragging pegs on a Honda is easy. My ex-roommate has an '05 repsol, and that thing has the longest "hero blobs" of any bike I've seen! He actually ripped one off in the carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on his very first track day. Almost crashed it scared him so bad.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
jodyhudson

Quote:
Dragging pegs on a Honda is easy. My ex-roommate has an '05 repsol, and that thing has the longest "hero blobs" of any bike I've seen! He actually ripped one off in the carousel at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on his very first track day. Almost crashed it scared him so bad.
what the is a "hero blob" ?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
what the is a "hero blob" ?
The little screw-in that sticks out of the bottom of the peg.

CMRA #302
Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
jodyhudson

Quote:
The little screw-in that sticks out of the bottom of the peg.
why the would you even still have that stupid on your bike ? i wasnt talkin about that . i was talkin about the actual peg. not that queer curb feeler that comes bolted on the peg from the factory.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
NASAGeek
Bye, Ford! Hello, GM!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
FZ1
R6S (sold)

Somebody missed nap time.
NASAGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASAGeek View Post
Somebody missed nap time.
no... im just an
Old 06-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Quote:
I have a 30" inseam and find that if my body position isn't spot-on, my toes will drag before anything else. (2007 CBR600RR.) I haven't experimented with any aftermarket rearsets though.
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
I like the stock because it could fold back when I am tippy toe walking it. The only dislike about it is sometimes I felt my foot could slip off. Now, I have the vortex that thing is sharp and just the thought of getting my leg caught in front of the peg when going down scared me. Other than that, it's all the same as body position is concern.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
I like the stock because it could fold back when I am tippy toe walking it. The only dislike about it is sometimes I felt my foot could slip off. Now, I have the vortex that thing is sharp and just the thought of getting my leg caught in front of the peg when going down scared me. Other than that, it's all the same as body position is concern.

There was a day not too long ago I wish my pegs folded back in and I have a scar to show for it now. Even with it being sharp, aftermarket pegs don't keep your feet planted down and I was unlucky enough to find my leg in front of the peg when it came back down...
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elistan View Post
I have a 30" inseam and find that if my body position isn't spot-on, my toes will drag before anything else. (2007 CBR600RR.) I haven't experimented with any aftermarket rearsets though.
If you're dragging your toes, you need to rotate your foot more and open your hips to the turn, then you won't have that problem

Quote:
I use the stock ones. I love em!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #13
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Even with correct foot positioning, dragging your toes on a 600rr isn't that hard. I have rearsets up about 1.5" and I still drag my toes.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

My problem is that I'm not getting my knee out far enough. At my last TD I was able to tap the peg down, but still have clean knee pucks. I know my body position still needs some work I'm just wondering if having pegs that were higher and further back might help.

CMRA #302
Old 06-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Get off the bike more and lean that thing over. Putting your knee on the ground is only used as an indicator to how much more available lean you have left. Don't search for it.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #16
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
My problem is that I'm not getting my knee out far enough. At my last TD I was able to tap the peg down, but still have clean knee pucks. I know my body position still needs some work I'm just wondering if having pegs that were higher and further back might help.
IMO, the reason for rearset is to have leverage to turn in the bike and clearance if that is the problem. If you want to drag you knee, you have to position your body right.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #17
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Get off the bike more and lean that thing over. Putting your knee on the ground is only used as an indicator to how much more available lean you have left. Don't search for it.
pay attention to the road ! quit playin on that blackberry while u drive
Old 06-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #18
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
pay attention to the road ! quit playin on that blackberry while u drive
A-Hole! I can use my blackberry whenver th fudge I feel like it!!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #19
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
A-Hole! I can use my blackberry whenver th fudge I feel like it!!!!
i figured youd be gettin a hummer right about now...
Old 06-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #20
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
no... im just an
I'll have to agree with you here dik head