MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Racer X 05

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 R1

Post Patrick and M.U. are Great but Sometimes....

You just want to get to know your bike and fix things yourself. The classes Patrick holds are great and his willingness to give people advice are a great help. My stator went out and I found this out when a guy off the R1 forum told me how to use a meter and what test to run. Anyway my funds were depleated after buying a rectifier and stator (got an extra for a 02 R1 if anyone needs it) and they way gas prices are it was making it hard to drive my SUV at 20.00 a day! So I decided to do it myself. Let me 1st say if you don't have the right tools your are already in for a long day! If you do then your half way there. I'm thankful for good neighbors and their willingness to help out Dave my neighbor loaned me his impact gun and i was off! Do you know how hard it is to find a 16x1.5 bolt this is what size bolt you will need to remove the flywheel. Dealer was no help hardware store no help and neither was any autopart store. This was my biggest problem but a the owner of Turner Cycles was Awsome when I couldn't find the bolt and called him because he was the down the rode from me about maybe fixing the bike because I wouldn't have made it to M.U. and I have no trailer. So when I call he say come by I may have that bolt you need sure enough he did loaned it to me and didn't know me at all. When home took the cover off and finished the job on my own. The feeling of accomplishment was very rewarding. Just wanted to share Thank for your time......
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Parents Make Great Kids Bevo Off Topic 24 05-01-2014 10:09 AM
Loss of a great racer and great friend Jerran V Taking it to the Track 32 07-30-2009 11:23 AM
Such a great vid (great message) moto187 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 05-29-2009 10:42 PM
Great Shop / Great Service slo_rdr Motorcycles Unlimited 1 02-02-2008 07:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Racer X 05

Bike(s):
2005 R1

Here what the stator looked liked when I pulled it out.
[IMG]burntstatornx5th[/IMG]
Old 06-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
JRxGRUBZx

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X 05 View Post
You just want to get to know your bike and fix things yourself. The classes Patrick holds are great and his willingness to give people advice are a great help. My stator went out and I found this out when a guy off the R1 forum told me how to use a meter and what test to run. Anyway my funds were depleated after buying a rectifier and stator (got an extra for a 02 R1 if anyone needs it) and they way gas prices are it was making it hard to drive my SUV at 20.00 a day! So I decided to do it myself. Let me 1st say if you don't have the right tools your are already in for a long day! If you do then your half way there. I'm thankful for good neighbors and their willingness to help out Dave my neighbor loaned me his impact gun and i was off! Do you know how hard it is to find a 16x1.5 bolt this is what size bolt you will need to remove the flywheel. Dealer was no help hardware store no help and neither was any autopart store. This was my biggest problem but a the owner of Turner Cycles was Awsome when I couldn't find the bolt and called him because he was the down the rode from me about maybe fixing the bike because I wouldn't have made it to M.U. and I have no trailer. So when I call he say come by I may have that bolt you need sure enough he did loaned it to me and didn't know me at all. When home took the cover off and finished the job on my own. The feeling of accomplishment was very rewarding. Just wanted to share Thank for your time......
good job now take the man back his bolt!! lol
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Racer X 05

Bike(s):
2005 R1

Lol! yeah I did. owe him a 12pack for that!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Trackdays: 10+

He was saying they are great, but sometimes you need to LEARN and do it yourself.

at least from what I understand

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
That is a horrible feeling when you start to work on your bike and dont have the right tools!!!!!! Been there before.

But the flipside is when you get it all accomplished and get back on two!! Yesss!!!!!!!!!

I try to do all the maintenance work myself now. But if its something I dont / cant handle I will call my good friend Pat @ Motorcycles Unlimited. He has always been there when I needed help.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

I mostly do maintenance myself, but for convenience of time, I'll take it to the Shop if I must. Many times, especially since I started my own business, I just have not had the time to take care of my baby myself.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

i look at a job from a "can i do it perspective" , if i have the mech. apptitude to do it. also the "what if i get it wrong, will it make me crash" perspective......lol

then i'll spend the $ for proper tools, then i have more tools in the long run.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

I'm in an apartment with no storage, i want to get tools to start doing things myself, but say if I botch up a tire change, or have difficulty in finishing it, there goes by form of transportation.... I just let Patrick take care of it. When I get a garage, house etc, I'll start investing in tools and do 90% of it myself, but I need space and the ability to leave it in parts while I figure it out, not forgetting something then being stuck!
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I agree with what some are talking about in doing things themself, but most people don't realize when they are in over their head and end up costing themselves much more money and the mechanic numerous headaches to fix the F-ups, and almost all of us are guilty of it at some point.

If the typical "do-it-yourself" individual knew when to say when, life would be easier for many different people. Be it home repair, auto, bike, or even yard care.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #13
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

Oh ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X 05 View Post
You just want to get to know your bike, and fix things yourself. The classes Patrick holds are great, and his willingness to give people advice is a great help.
My stator went out, and I found this out when a guy off the R1 forum told me how to use a meter, and what test to run. Anyway, my funds were depleted after buying a rectifier and stator, however I have an extra for a 02 R1 if anyone needs it, and the way gas prices are, it was making it hard to drive my SUV at $20.00 a day! So, I decided to do it myself.

Let me first say that if you don't have the right tools, your are already in for a long day! If you do, then you are half way there. I'm thankful for good neighbors and their willingness to help out. Dave, my neighbor, loaned me his impact gun and I was off! Do you know how hard it is to find a 16mmx1.5 bolt? This is what size bolt you will need to remove the flywheel. The dealer was no help, the hardware store was no help, and neither were any auto parts stores.
My biggest problem was that I couldn't find the bolt, but the owner of Turner Cycles was awesome when I called him (because he was the down the road from me) about maybe fixing the bike, because I wouldn't have made it to M.U., and I have no trailer.

So when I called, he said "Come by, I may have that bolt that you need." Sure enough, he did. He loaned it to me even though he didn't know me at all. When I got home, I took the cover off and finished the job on my own. The feeling of accomplishment was very rewarding. I just wanted to share. Thank for your time.
Fixed!
I was having such a hard time reading, I figured I'd try to help, so others could read it easier.
Also, Did you put lock-tite on those bolts that hold the stator to the case? They have a tendency to rattle loose without any thread locking agent.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
Fixed!
I was having such a hard time reading, I figured I'd try to help, so others could read it easier.
Also, Did you put lock-tite on those bolts that hold the stator to the case? They have a tendency to rattle loose without any thread locking agent.
squanto you should of had your glasses on!
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #15
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxGRUBZx View Post
squanto you should of had your glasses on!
Dang! that's why everybody was honking at me when I went to lunch!! Bastids need to learn how to stay off my side of the road (whichever side that may be )
Old 06-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #16
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

I think that anyone who refers to something that needs to be fixed or has a question about maintenance the defacto answer is to have Patrick look at it. I have been to Motorcycles Unlimited in the past for accessories and such but there are people that prefer to do their own work. I think this was what the original poster was refering to. You can go to many MC forums on the net and get some good solid howto's and writeups on the mechanical side of motorcycling but that type on knowledge isn't shared here as much.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #17
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Good job on fixing it yourself. Pretty awesome that the shop owner by you lent you the tool you needed at no charge, maybe you can make it up to him in the future by taking him some business
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #18
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
You can go to many MC forums on the net and get some good solid howto's and writeups on the mechanical side of motorcycling but that type on knowledge isn't shared here as much.
I think it's because we have a large influx of new riders, a lot of whom don't have a lot of experience.
It's one of the reasons I try to answer as many of the tech and how to questions that I can, to try to help out.

Racer, glad you got it fixed!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #19
Daily Triumph
Ugh gtfo :-/

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2003 Aprilia Mille 1000 (Daily )
2002 Triumph TT600 sold
1992 Honda CBR F2 sold

yeah thats great and all unless the stator you ordered doesnt have enough wire to mate with the grommet

Thanks Patrick
one can only be hypocritcal with regard to ones' OWN statements and opinions, and not those of the others around. great, you can't sweep and you don't own a dictionary. I hope you're better with an iron and starch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
apparently im a offender in Florida
Daily Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #20
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Triumph View Post
yeah thats great and all unless the stator you ordered doesnt have enough wire to mate with the grommet

Thanks Patrick
Welcome to parts from Ebay.

Didn't you also have to wait forever for it to come in?:/:

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote