MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 02:37 AM   #21
K5GSXR1000

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1000 & 06 636 For Sale

while we are on this topic which one is better in the rain? i know how the pilot power does but how does the bt002 Ride Smart do in the rain?
K5GSXR1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pilot Power 2ct vs. The New Dunlop Q2 Conroe_gsxrboy General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 01-30-2010 12:01 AM
pilot power vs pilot power 2ct setup Chubby Racer Taking it to the Track 18 07-01-2009 10:59 AM
pilot power 2ct recall letter gixr1012 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-10-2007 11:26 PM
Michelin Pilot Power OR Pilot Power 2ct AggieCBR Performance and Modifications 31 05-04-2007 10:01 PM
Pilot Power 2CT Info jetcycles General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 10-27-2006 08:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #22
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5GSXR1000 View Post
while we are on this topic which one is better in the rain? i know how the pilot power does but how does the bt002 Ride Smart do in the rain?
Most any tire will be about the same. A tire in the rain is only as good as your throttle hand is smooth.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #23
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

I would probably give the nod to PP in the rain based soley on the fact that it has more tread all the way to the edges allowing for more water displacement. Jut my $.02

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #24
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Wet grip is mostly influenced by two factors (outside of rider input). Silica content & land-to-sea ratio. The PP has a higher land-to-sea ratio, but the BT002 Ride Smart has a higher silica compound. The tread patter is exactly as the BT002 Pro was, and I have had many racers running in the rain on the Pro's with great success. I'd have to say it will come down to rider preference. I doubt one is better than the other....now in the dry, BT002 Ride Smart pnwns all of the street tires.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #25
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
Wet grip is mostly influenced by two factors (outside of rider input). Silica content & land-to-sea ratio. The PP has a higher land-to-sea ratio, but the BT002 Ride Smart has a higher silica compound. The tread patter is exactly as the BT002 Pro was, and I have had many racers running in the rain on the Pro's with great success. I'd have to say it will come down to rider preference. I doubt one is better than the other....now in the dry, BT002 Ride Smart pnwns all of the street tires.
+1 Been running Corsa 3's on my RC51 for a few trackdays, but just ran the 002 Ride Smart on my CBR600rr and they rail...
(I like them better than the Corsa 3s )

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #26
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Tire wear almost always is dictated by the rider and suspension in regard to being "even". The Michelin (over the past 3 years for me) has worn faster, but not necessarily more or less "evenly".

Does that answer your question, or did I go off to left field?
I found that the 002 Ride Smart on the rear of my track bike wore the sides out much faster than the center.
Wouldn't that be expected since the edges are softer compound and the bike is leaned more than on the street?
Or do you think I have suspesion setup issues?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #27
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Trackbikes will always wear the edges much faster....on any tire. The rear BT002 Ride Smart is a single compound rear, the front is a dual compound. Without looking at the tire, suspension issues are hard to diagnose.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement