MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
BT002 Ride Smart vs Pilot Power 2CT..........

I hope this isn't a repost.......I can't remember seeing this across the board. It might have been debated and beaten to death in another thread, but we'll see what we can get out of this one.

Go ahead track junkies/racers.........weigh in and tell me what you think.

Hearing from someone who has ran both would be preferred.......but if you feel the need to add to the conversation, please do so. Any insight would be grealty appreciated!

-Adam
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pilot Power 2ct vs. The New Dunlop Q2 Conroe_gsxrboy General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 01-30-2010 12:01 AM
pilot power vs pilot power 2ct setup Chubby Racer Taking it to the Track 18 07-01-2009 10:59 AM
pilot power 2ct recall letter gixr1012 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-10-2007 11:26 PM
Michelin Pilot Power OR Pilot Power 2ct AggieCBR Performance and Modifications 31 05-04-2007 10:01 PM
Pilot Power 2CT Info jetcycles General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 10-27-2006 08:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
level5
moving chicane

On the track, it's hard to tell the difference but on the street I preffered the 2ct.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I have gotten several T/Ds on my BToo2 Race/Streets. Looking to get another rear now.
The only small trouble I see with using this type of tire (regardless of mfr) is that the sides wear out faster than the middle, leaving you with a pronounced "V" shaped tire that has plenty of center tread.
Maybe the BT002 Pro Race would wear more evenly.
The upside is that I intend on putting the takeoff on my street bike since I don't use the sides so much on the road.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

2CT aren't so good when the pace picks up, and tend to get greasy by days end
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Hm....

I know this much about the two just from researching myself.

The 2CT's turn in a lot quicker and have decent feedback when at full lean but can be a little sketchy when all the way over. And the BT002RS give a little more confidence that there is actual tire under you when cornering, with decent if not great feedback from the front, but doesn't turn in quite as fast as the PP2CT.

-Adam
Old 06-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I don't apply all the way here, but going from the Pilot Powers, to the BT-002 Ride Smart' I am much happier with the Ride Smart' for the little bit of trackday riding I have done so far.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

With track compounds, my experience is much more positive with the Bridgestones than the Michelins.

The Michelins, like the Pirelli, have a carcass that is too soft and the tires get greasy as the day goes on. The Bridgestones, in my experience, have traction all the way past the wear bars, are very consistent as they wear, and last much, much longer than any other brand I've used no matter what compound I am using.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
With track compounds, my experience is much more positive with the Bridgestones than the Michelins.

The Michelins, like the Pirelli, have a carcass that is too soft and the tires get greasy as the day goes on. The Bridgestones, in my experience, have traction all the way past the wear bars, are very consistent as they wear, and last much, much longer than any other brand I've used no matter what compound I am using.
Tom...we agree on most topics......hmmmm you should be my ! I'll let you ride on back of my Gixxer too

Go make me a sammich please, and bring me a beer while you're at it!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Good feedback guys, thanks! Keep it coming.......

It seems the Bt002RS run cheaper then the 2CT. I just hope that they last long enough to be as cost effective as I hope they are. But then again, I'm not exactly "eating" through rubber just yet. I can get a few t/d wearing the single compound Pilot Powers. Which for some of you, I'm sure, would be a blessing to just get two good/hot trackdays out of them.

Heres a question though about the 002s. Why would they run a dual compound on the front, but not the rear. I would think that you would want the same compound on the walls of both tires. Although, it might not be that big of deal.......I wouldn't know......which is exactly why I'm asking.

-Adam
Old 06-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Bubby and I get about 4 TD out of our Ride Smart! But that if instructing novice and riding 3 or sessions in the intermediate/advanced! But the middles look almost new while the sides are wore out!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #11
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

For the same reason why people complain about the 2CT getting greasy after a while. A "softer" edge compound on the rear tends to get too much heat to maintain consistent grip. The fronts, on the other hand, do not generate as much heat thus lending themselves good canidates for a dual compound construction. You get the great feedback and grip of the dual compound front without the greasy feeling from a dual compound rear. The single compound rear is the best solution. You can drop the forks a small amout, 2mm, to quicken the steering a bit. It is not required, I didn't do it on my bike, but I have had some people try it and it worked well.

John

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Do the 2ct's wear out a little more evenly then the 002's?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
For the same reason why people complain about the 2CT getting greasy after a while. A "softer" edge compound on the rear tends to get too much heat to maintain consistent grip. The fronts, on the other hand, do not generate as much heat thus lending themselves good canidates for a dual compound construction. You get the great feedback and grip of the dual compound front without the greasy feeling from a dual compound rear. The single compound rear is the best solution. You can drop the forks a small amout, 2mm, to quicken the steering a bit. It is not required, I didn't do it on my bike, but I have had some people try it and it worked well.

John

John
Thanks John! Very knowledgeable as always......

Makes sense to me.

-Adam
Old 06-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
Do the 2ct's wear out a little more evenly then the 002's?
Tire wear almost always is dictated by the rider and suspension in regard to being "even". The Michelin (over the past 3 years for me) has worn faster, but not necessarily more or less "evenly".

Does that answer your question, or did I go off to left field?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #15
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Tire wear almost always is dictated by the rider and suspension in regard to being "even". The Michelin (over the past 3 years for me) has worn faster, but not necessarily more or less "evenly".

Does that answer your question, or did I go off to left field?
No that answers the question, and makes sense to me. I knew that riding style/suspension would play a part, but I didn't know if there was a clear choice between the two for "even wear" from the majorities point of view.

-Adam
Old 06-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
No that answers the question, and makes sense to me. I knew that riding style/suspension would play a part, but I didn't know if there was a clear choice between the two for "even wear" from the majorities point of view.

-Adam
Nah, other than most bikes will wear the rear faster than the front, they all pretty well wear "evenly" as long as there are no suspension issues or the like.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #17
mojo
Platinum Member

Bike(s):
2006 R6

From my experience with both tires.

With the Michelins 2ct's the grip became unpredictable and extremely greasy when the pace picked up. The biggest deal for me is when the tires got warm would be the tires letting go without warning and being unpredictable when sliding once the tires were getting warm. They do however work well for some wet trackdays. When I ran these tires at TWS (Texas World Speedway) I was running about

From my experience with the Bt002 Ride Smart these tires felt similar to a full set of race tires on the bike. They stuck like glue from initial break in of the tire till well past the wear bars and provided good feedback and were precdictable. I managed to get 2 trackdays out of them and 1500-2000 miles of street use after I was done with them at the track. These tires felt planted in the corners and were very predictable in a wide variety of operating temperature ranges.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #18
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

I think I see where this is going.......

Looking pretty good that I'll be sporting the BT002RS on the new bike at my next track session.

I appreciate your help ladies and germs.......

This just confirms what I've heard from John in the past about the Bt002RS, good starting point on switching to full race rubber.

-Adam
Old 06-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #19
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I run BT002 RSs on my trackwhore. 120/70 front and a 190/55 rear. I love the combo. I'm not exactly fast, but I have no fear for grip whatsoever. I've run Regular PP's and seen 2CT's after a track day. My thoughts are that a 2CT will last longer, but a BT002 has much better grip.

Oh, I don't use tire warmers with my BT002's.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #20
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I used to run a 2ct frt and power rear w/o any traction issues. Wear was great and turn in was quick and easy.

Currently running 002's med frt and hrd rear and loving it but these are on a different level of grip compared to street/track day tires being disccussed.

Advertisement