MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

12 Tips for keeping your cool on a hot ride

FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Country ride today 12/19 or Sunday 12/22 Blamdiggity Events, Meets and Rides 12 12-20-2013 02:27 PM
N Northside area ride to Xmas party 12-18-12 Schmidie Events, Meets and Rides 13 12-18-2012 07:53 PM
Later than usual forest ride coming from the the south side. 2/12/12 Cursed Bike. Events, Meets and Rides 14 02-12-2012 11:29 PM
Moon Tonight 12/12! Should be cool!!! Gixxer-Joy Off Topic 13 12-12-2008 06:30 PM
TIPS FOR KEEPING COOL THIS SUMMER FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 06-13-2008 05:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Hydration Hijinx’We hear it all the time – be sure to drink lots of water. And you should, at least a few liters a day while in the saddle. How you choose to do it is up to you. Some like to use a bladder system like a CamelBak, others are content enough just sucking down a few ounces at each stop. However you do it, do it.

But did you know you can over-drink yourself into dehydration? Drinking excessive amounts of water (beyond a gallon a day) will force your body to sweat and/or pee out wanted electrolytes which balance the brain's ability to manage bodily functions. With a shortage of electrolytes, the body starts to malfunction and suddenly the day just isn’t going the way you had hoped. Enter the Electrolyte Add-In...

Electrolyte Add-Ins and Oxymorons
The oxymoron here is that you can get electrolytes by way of those fancy energy drinks, that surprisingly are full of sugar and oftentimes caffeine, both ingredients that lead to dehydration. Gatorade, Red Bull, PowerAde and others do more harm to motorcyclists than good – especially if you’re diabetic.

There is a way to get pure electrolytes into your system without all the junk. Recently a mineral company in Utah, Mineral Resources Incorporated, introduced an Electrolyte add-in to the outdoor market called Elete. While most sport drinks only include two needed electrolytes at best, sodium and potassium, Elete utilizes four with the addition of magnesium and chloride. You won’t find vast amounts of sodium in the product since it’s assumed you’re already getting plenty of that in your next order of fries.

Off the Bike
Once you step off the bike, you’ll still want to beat the heat. A flexible hat with a full brim (not a baseball cap) will insure you keep the sun’s rays off your face and head should you need to fix a flat, take a long break, spend some time at a roadside attraction or dine outdoors. Being flexible, it will slip nicely into your tank bag without being a nuisance.

Wash em’ up
We’ve talked a lot about synthetic fabrics here. It’s critical to launder them properly in warm, not hot water, and by not using everyday laundry detergents. Instead, reach for a product like Dreft (baby soap) or Nikwax’s Base Wash. Normal detergents leave residues behind that clog synthetic pores, reducing their ability to wick heat and moisture. The two above-mentioned cleaners rinse out pure leaving behind no residues. The latter, Nikwax, has anti-microbial properties of its own not found in Dreft. It’s also important not to add fabric softeners in the rinse or use dryer sheets with synthetics.

Teach Others What You Know
Okay, so now you’re an expert about keeping your cool on hot days, but that doesn’t mean the others you’re riding with are and you may have a few fellow riding pals who are still of the mind that they can strip down to a tank top for best results. If you’re planning any rides in the near future, feel free to pass this article along so everyone knows all your tricks, thus reducing the chance that you’ll be dealing with someone else’s sun stroke on the road.

Patrick Thomas/Spring 2008

SR!0805 2x3Cool
Old 06-16-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
skmart2
Stephanie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

Thumbs up

wow! thanks for posting this. there's a lot of good info here I've been dying out there in this houston heat and humidity!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

So if I've made it this far do I let the mesh order come through, or stick with perforated leather on the highway?
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Vandals
Scooter

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
So if I've made it this far do I let the mesh order come through, or stick with perforated leather on the highway?
Leather is always better over mesh..especially at highway speeds. Think of what highway speeds will do to a mesh jacket... It will shread into nothing as soon as it touches pavement. Leather wont.
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals View Post
Leather is always better over mesh..especially at highway speeds. Think of what highway speeds will do to a mesh jacket... It will shread into nothing as soon as it touches pavement. Leather wont.
and it well melt into your skin

thanks for the info flip
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Ogre
Ancient one

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmart2 View Post
wow! thanks for posting this. there's a lot of good info here I've been dying out there in this houston heat and humidity!
High humidity significantly reduces the effectiveness of any evaporative cooling system, because the moisture doesn't evaporate very well. That's why sweating doesn't cool you on humid days. It's also why you don't see swamp coolers in Houston. Evaporative cooling works best in hot/dry climates.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Sounds like wicking long-johns would be good - where are they? And a wicking skull-cap under-helmet. most heat is lost through the head - so it seems to me that's the best place to remove the heat if you're too hot... my helmet gets tremendous air movement through it - as long as I'm moving...

What I'd really like to see is a clothing system with coolant running through it (probably water). Plugging that up to a tiny pump, and radiator could be very cool - pardon the pun! LOL Isn't there something like that?

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMI5W7X9DE_index_0.html

When is that going to be rolled out to us?

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Actually, evaporative cooling does work well in humid climates because during the real heat of the day it is rarely actually 90 percent humidity and usually much less.

This MiraCool Cooling Poncho will stay cool and wet for three days - I have one and have been using it for two years now and IT WORKS.

http://www.tuffrhino.com/MiraCool_Po...t_p/hs1045.htm

Dang - I just noticed its on sale now for less than $20 - the deal of the day!!
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
Ogre
Ancient one

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
Actually, evaporative cooling does work well in humid climates because during the real heat of the day it is rarely actually 90 percent humidity and usually much less.

This MiraCool Cooling Poncho will stay cool and wet for three days - I have one and have been using it for two years now and IT WORKS.

http://www.tuffrhino.com/MiraCool_Po...t_p/hs1045.htm

Dang - I just noticed its on sale now for less than $20 - the deal of the day!!
Didn't mean to imply that they weren't useful in Houston, just not nearly as effective when humididty is high. Lot's of airflow helps to compensate, but when it gets 90 degress and 90%+ you're not going to be cool unless you have an icepack in your shorts.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Those tuffrhino models are the gheyest I have ever seen! LOL even the female models are just wrong... maybe the product works but I hope I don't look that goofy wearing one! LOL

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogenic View Post
Those tuffrhino models are the gheyest I have ever seen! LOL even the female models are just wrong... maybe the product works but I hope I don't look that goofy wearing one! LOL
Dude - check out the merchandise and not the models. You think they can have low prices AND world class models at the same time??

We can't all be ruggedly good looking like you...

The product DOES work.

Even if you just standing around with only the breeze blowing on you it makes a big difference.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
High humidity significantly reduces the effectiveness of any evaporative cooling system, because the moisture doesn't evaporate very well. That's why sweating doesn't cool you on humid days. It's also why you don't see swamp coolers in Houston. Evaporative cooling works best in hot/dry climates.
I've heard the same. I bought a Fieldsheer Ice Vest from Patrick a few weeks ago, but have not had the opportunity to try it, yet. I'll let you guys know when I do.

Regardless, I don't always do my riding in Houston only, and this would definitely be beneficial if I were to take a Hill Country ride... I would think. One thought I had is that if it is pretty humid outside, then the vest would not evaporate as quickly, either; and I think when moving, the airflow would also help, no different than if you had a wet t-shirt on.

Advertisement