MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Bigger brakes.

Ok i got a wheel for my 600 and I got a 6" not a 5.5" The brake rotor on it was alot bigger than the on off my 600. Do the 750's have bigger brakes in the rear or just the 1000's? Can I just get the brake bracket and caliper a the bigger bike or is the swing arm different? Would it be worth the effort or would it be negligible since it's on the rear..

And imo this bike doesn't stop for , but i'm sure it needs new rotors pads fluid ect. So if i was going to do all of that is it worth it to do a junkyard upgrade? I would want to do the front's as well as long as it is a pretty straight forward swap, No building brackets ect.

And yes I know Brembo's ect would be better but I'm on a Salvage type budget on this project.

My mustang stops better and that just won't fly with me lol
90 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bigger emojicons MACK Forum Updates & Feedback 29 04-18-2010 10:53 AM
Are you WILLING to see the bigger picture? FKNA Off Topic 34 06-09-2009 11:17 PM
so who's the bigger a-hole? didimao0072000 General Discussion (Moto Related) 66 05-08-2009 06:38 PM
Bigger Bike? Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 07-27-2008 09:57 AM
everything is bigger in TEXAS SPYDER BITE Off Topic 15 09-06-2007 10:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
camaroz2866

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

u probably just need new/petter pads, and a flush/bleed, my shrad stopped awesome!!!

but yes it should work just fine as long as everything lines up and all call Motorcycles Unlimited, or pm patrick and ask him for sure.

Last edited by camaroz2866; 06-14-2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: forgot
camaroz2866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

You could probably change out the bracket for the caliper, but I'm not sure on the axle size and what year bike the wheel you bought goes to.

You may just check and see if the rotor off your old wheel will fit (that's what I'd do first).

Chances are pretty good that the axles are the same if you got a wheel that's close to the year of your bike. GSXRs don't change much from year to year. IIRC, 1k and 750s did have bigger rear rotors of that generation bike.

Regarding using the rear brake, I gotta ask, MSF? If you're gaging stopping distance by how well your rear brake stops you, you need to re-evaluate your riding skills.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
You could probably change out the bracket for the caliper, but I'm not sure on the axle size and what year bike the wheel you bought goes to.

You may just check and see if the rotor off your old wheel will fit (that's what I'd do first).

Chances are pretty good that the axles are the same if you got a wheel that's close to the year of your bike. GSXRs don't change much from year to year. IIRC, 1k and 750s did have bigger rear rotors of that generation bike.

Regarding using the rear brake, I gotta ask, MSF? If you're gaging stopping distance by how well your rear brake stops you, you need to re-evaluate your riding skills.
I appreciate the info on the brakes, but I must ask why people always ask if you have taken a msf and assume you are a beginner rider because of a low post count.

Yes, I already put the old rotor from my other wheel on how on earth do you think I used the rear brake. If you think I used the rear brake to stop the bike with a rotor 2" larger than was on there before maybe you need to re-evaluate your experiance with bikes

It took about 150ft to stop the bike from 50 or so with both brakes, I was more or less joking about how bad it stops. I already mentioned it needed, pads,rotors and new fluid which I plan to do the pads have about 1/8" of meat.

Since I was going to be buying new pads and rotors anyway the conversion to Newer larger brakes wouldn't be much more if I can get the necessary brakets and calipers used.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:08 AM   #5
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
I appreciate the info on the brakes, but I must ask why people always ask if you have taken a msf and assume you are a beginner rider because of a low post count.

Yes, I already put the old rotor from my other wheel on how on earth do you think I used the rear brake. If you think I used the rear brake to stop the bike with a rotor 2" larger than was on there before maybe you need to re-evaluate your experiance with bikes

It took about 150ft to stop the bike from 50 or so with both brakes, I was more or less joking about how bad it stops. I already mentioned it needed, pads,rotors and new fluid which I plan to do the pads have about 1/8" of meat.

Since I was going to be buying new pads and rotors anyway the conversion to Newer larger brakes wouldn't be much more if I can get the necessary brakets and calipers used.
there's nothing wrong with the '98 GSXR600 SRAD brake set up if it's maintained and working correctly. They use the same size rotors as the 750.
Remember that these things were raced extensively just a few years back with standard calipers and discs/rotors.
Get someone like Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited to check it over.
I'm sure if the calipers are functioning as intended and the rotors are true then a new set of HH spec pads, a set of braided lines and new correctly bled brake fluid will transform your bike.
Don't take chances with your brakes PERIOD.

The 600/750 SRAD rear rotor is the same size!
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
there's nothing wrong with the '98 GSXR600 SRAD brake set up if it's maintained and working correctly. They use the same size rotors as the 750.
Remember that these things were raced extensively just a few years back with standard calipers and discs/rotors.
Get someone like Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited to check it over.
I'm sure if the calipers are functioning as intended and the rotors are true then a new set of HH spec pads, a set of braided lines and new correctly bled brake fluid will transform your bike.
Don't take chances with your brakes PERIOD.

The 600/750 SRAD rear rotor is the same size!

So is the 00-up rear rotor larger for those or just on the 1000's? How much better braking would I get out off the 1000 brakes on my bike or does no one do upgrades like this? I would have though it would have been fairly common if it was an easy upgrade.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Is it complicated like needing 1000 forks and swingarm or is it not worth the effort?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
It's just a question, don't get defensive. Besides, you didn't answer the question, have you taken it?

Quote:
Really? Do I?

I took for granted (since you didn't specify) that you were comparing the braking distance before you put the new wheel on since you eluded to the fact that you couldn't put the new wheel on due to the rotor being the wrong size.

Quote:

"Upgrading" the rear brake is a waste of money. I don't even bother putting stainless lines on the rear brake of my race bike, nor do I run anything other than stock pads. On the front (where 99.9% of my braking is done) I have a Brembo radial master (though the '01-'03 master is a very good one), stainless lines, and Vesrah RJL pads with stock calipers. Stopping is definitely not an issue for me. , I can't remember the last time I touched the rear brake, even during a "panic" braking situation.

If you got a radial master cylinder (front, not rear), stainless lines, and some good pads, your braking would be significantly improved, and wouldn't even cost much from the salvage yard. Likely, the newer ('01-'03) GSXR master cylinders have bigger pistons than the one on your SRAD- although we used an SRAD master on our old race bike for a few years and it worked great too.

Leave the rear alone, it's a waste of money, spend a little cabbage on the front and you'll have much better performance. , just getting the ss lines and fresh fluid/ pads would make a helluva difference.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
I tend to agree with the rear brake situation...

I use mine alot on the street until I hit twisties; mainly for flashing when coming to a stop or if Im resting my right hand and stopping. Regardless if you can stab the rear brake and lock of the rear wheel, you have all the power you need out of that rear brake. All the weight is shifted to the front during braking; as mentioned above I wouldn't mess with a braking system since it was already designed for the bike; if there are known good upgrades then more power to it(pads,lines etc.)
Old 06-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Quote:

I took for granted (since you didn't specify) that you were comparing the braking distance before you put the new wheel on since you eluded to the fact that you couldn't put the new wheel on due to the rotor being the wrong size.
I never said I couldn't put the wheel on or that I didn't swap my rotor onto it.

I appreciate the info on the braking system, but I must say the Msf comment has absolutely no bearing or relevance to the thread. I am a big supporter of the classes and I even suggested to a friend of mine that wants to buy a bike to take it first he is enrolled to take the class tomorrow. If anything the constant harassment and throwing it around (which is done on here a lot) when it is completely irrelevant if anything deters people from taking it.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
I never said I couldn't put the wheel on or that I didn't swap my rotor onto it.
Regardless of what you think you wrote, it didn't come across that way. It sounded like you bought a wheel that wouldn't fit because the rotors were different sizes.
Quote:
I appreciate the info on the braking system, but I must say the Msf comment has absolutely no bearing or relevance to the thread. I am a big supporter of the classes and I even suggested to a friend of mine that wants to buy a bike to take it first he is enrolled to take the class tomorrow. If anything the constant harassment and throwing it around (which is done on here a lot) when it is completely irrelevant if anything deters people from taking it.
Why do you take such offense to it? It's just a question. Why would you care what anyone thinks anyway? If you didn't take it, and you're proud of that, why not just say, "nah, I never took it and I don't think I need to" instead of getting all insulted?

Based on your comments posted, it sounded like you may not have had a grasp on good braking techniques. Hence the question- it's not an attack and I'm sorry if that's the way it came across.

It is more important to understand proper braking techniques and application than to "get a bigger rear rotor" which honestly smacks of inexperience. As most experienced riders will tell you, along with the MSF course, braking with the rear brake is used in emergency braking situations, especially with these new sport bikes. A larger rotor, will give more braking power, which translates to being easier to lock up too, not to mention it will lock up sooner. Braking is done with the front brakes, the rear is a supplemental brake, it's not there to provide even a small majority of the braking power.

So anyway, I didn't mean to insult you. For the record, I believe that most folks (like I did) are asking about MSF because they care about the people we know and the people that share our sport/ passion/ hobby, and don't want to see folks get hurt. MSF is a great tool and training to help prevent accidents and incidents.

Sorry if that insults you. It is what it is.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
camaroz2866

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

this thread is rediculous and pointless, you asked for advise and you got it, dont talk anyone if there giving you advice, and if you were refering to me as i dont know what im talking about i think you need to figure out who your talking to before you start doing that on this forum!!!!!!! i guarante you i have years of experience on you!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #13
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz2866 View Post
this thread is rediculous and pointless, you asked for advise and you got it, dont talk anyone if there giving you advice, and if you were refering to me as i dont know what im talking about i think you need to figure out who your talking to before you start doing that on this forum!!!!!!! i guarante you i have years of experience on you!!!!!!!!
i dont think is talking, he is right the MSF it has been thrown here for any reason

ok lemme give you a good advice

MSF?

THANK ME LATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #14
camaroz2866

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

thanks..... u just made ahole lot of sence..... not
Old 06-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #15
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz2866 View Post
thanks..... u just made ahole lot of sence..... not

LOL dont take it wrong dude ok let me put it this way

you start a thread about a question about a bike

and the first answer is MSF?

either way if you took it or not , what in the does that got to do with the question

he had a brake question, not a leanning question, dont wanna answer great you dont have to

but if you do cmon, the msf have absolutely no relevance

now you are right no one should be offended, yup

but he wasnt he just point it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #16
camaroz2866

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

i agree but it was just a question at the end of toms response... cause the msf teaches about breaking and this is a question to deal with breaks
Old 06-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Is it complicated like needing 1000 forks and swingarm or is it not worth the effort?
You're over complicating things
keep it simple,
read my post again and get it done
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
you start a thread about a question about a bike

and the first answer is MSF?

either way if you took it or not , what in the does that got to do with the question
Apparently, you didn't understand my post either. Let me explain it again because I don't want to come off like the MSF or something. I think I pointed out quite well why I asked and to what the reference was in the first post I made; but maybe not.

One point is that I first tried to answer his question and offered advice I didn't just jump up with "MSF?".

After offering advice, I asked my own question, because it seemed odd that he was gaging his braking distance on how well his rear brake performed (or that's the way it reads anyway). That's all. I didn't even look at the post count like he eluded to, I based it off the comments and deciphered his post as best I could.

It's concerning that someone would want to have a better ability to stop by increasing the rear brake's ability on a sport bike like an SRAD GSXR.

Hopefully, he won't proceed with that idea, and will focus on improving the front brakes to increase braking ability, and won't end up sliding down the pavement because of a monster rear brake that locks up whenever a foot gets near the pedal (yes, I'm exaggerating)
Old 06-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #19
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Quote:
Hopefully, he won't proceed with that idea, and will focus on improving the front brakes to increase braking ability, and won't end up sliding down the pavement because of a monster rear brake that locks up whenever a foot gets near the pedal (yes, I'm exaggerating)

I thought I had made it clear that If I did it I was going to upgrade the fronts as well, that makes more since if you thought that I was judging by the rear brake. And like I said earlier I thought that the point that the stopping power was insufficient as of right now was because the current factory brakes are worn out.

I noticed that the rotors were interchangeable on the back and was curious as if the rest of the system was a easy bolt on upgrade since the only out of pocket expense difference would be calipers and brackets.

It feals like I am beating a dead horse here and I cannot get anyone to comprehend what I am asking.

And Camaro Guy
Quote:
You don't know me from Adam either, I said I appreciated the usable advice I don't think I talked just poised my opinion on the MSF always being the root of the problem.

I am still baffled about how anyone got the idea that I was trying to stop the bike with the rear only by what I have posted or that I only wanted to do the rear because in the very first post I said I wanted to do the front as well.

I never quoted you or commented on anything you said so you should grow up and not jump the gun.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #20
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
I thought I had made it clear that If I did it I was going to upgrade the fronts as well, that makes more since if you thought that I was judging by the rear brake. And like I said earlier I thought that the point that the stopping power was insufficient as of right now was because the current factory brakes are worn out.
Calm yourself, my last post addressing you was the last post I had to yours and my dialog; I have no beef with you.

I was answering "pester's" post, not trying to re-visit your quandary.

Advertisement