MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #21
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

I just depends on people's gearing. 6th gear redline on a typical -1 and +2 600 is ALOT slower than a 1000 w/ stock gearing. But I guess you know that...
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
going through a divorce, and have no clue what to do with myself loosenoose Off Topic 94 06-04-2013 08:11 AM
they have no clue Badzx14r The Circus 10 02-09-2011 07:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #22
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
I just depends on people's gearing. 6th gear redline on a typical -1 and +2 600 is ALOT slower than a 1000 w/ stock gearing. But I guess you know that...
im not talkin about when it hits the rev limiter... im talkin about when they actually let off the throttle !
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #23
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
dude... are u saying down 1 tooth in the front and up 2 on the rear ? thats fukin retarded ! thats like oak hill gearing
Old 06-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #24
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Jody will be there on the 22nd, we'll both go down to the end of the front straight and hear his chickenshid azz roll off at the start/finish!

J/K, I've been on that track plenty of times with Jodine, and he holds on to the throttle a lot longer than I do at TWS (Texas World Speedway)!

John, are you going to have your new bike by the 22nd?
I run stock gearing at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and usally take 1 of 2 lines either drop in late or come in early under the yellow line. Im going to try and have the new bike by the 22nd, so maybe ill see you two out there. Nah im just giving Jody i know hes fast. Larry M was the one who showed me the lines coming into turn 1 and gave me some confidence to keep it pinned longer.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #25
Wormgear

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Quote:
After riding GSS and the Angleton track, you won't think that TWS (Texas World Speedway) is "technical" at all. It's a different kind of track than the previous two you've ridden, I've done a write-up in the LSTD section on several of the Texas tracks if you're interested, it may help, and also has an embedded video too. Here's the link:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=49455

Hit me up if you want some more info, it's one of my favorite tracks, definitely the coolest and best of the "local" to Houston tracks
Hey Tom this was very cool. I put the track diagram on half my screen and the video on the other. Once I figured out where the bike was I just kept moving my pointer around the map along with the video.
Except for the ďfeelĒ it seems like I already have about 10 laps around the track.
A great way to get familiar with a track youíve never ridden.
Wormgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #26
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

So, what is the main line for bikes at TWS (Texas World Speedway) for turn 1?

I will learn firsthand soon regardless, but my only reference for this turn is with a car. If I remember correctly, been a few years, we let off slightly (or turned in) at the beginning of the fence on the wall while running about 3' from the wall. Went through the transition and out to the yellow box on the outside of the turn and then made our turn into the apex.

Is this somewhat similar, or way the off for the bike line?
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #27
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
So, what is the main line for bikes at TWS (Texas World Speedway) for turn 1?

I will learn firsthand soon regardless, but my only reference for this turn is with a car. If I remember correctly, been a few years, we let off slightly (or turned in) at the beginning of the fence on the wall while running about 3' from the wall. Went through the transition and out to the yellow box on the outside of the turn and then made our turn into the apex.

Is this somewhat similar, or way the off for the bike line?
There's a few different lines thru turn 1. There is the fastest race line which has you dropping in right over the pit out line right up close to the edge of the track. I prefer not to run this line during trackdays because of the people coming into the track. I run a wider line thru turn 1 on trackdays. I usually run between right edge and the yellow pit line until I reach the yellow box on the right edge and then turn in for turn 2. You also have to find your way around some bumps too. Just take it slow and find a line that works for you.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #28
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

On my SV I can hold it to the transition... past it. I've also wrecked in T1 getting to that point. I now know how far not to hold it
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #29
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
On my SV I can hold it to the transition... past it. I've also wrecked in T1 getting to that point. I now know how far not to hold it
thats because ur a badass !
Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #30
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Don't worry about turn 1, or any of the turns to tell you the truth. This track is so wide and forgiving that most of the folks that screw up do it by target fixation and standing the bike up and running off.

Turn 1 has so many different ways to get through it, I've raced with and run track days with so many folks that are so much faster than me come through turn 1 with several different lines.

When you get out there yourself, and run your pace, don't worry about who's line is best or their opinion- go through for yourself and see what works for you.

No matter if folks are going to TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Saturday with Ride Smart, Sunday with LSTD, or both, if you're getting instruction, stick with the program, listen to the instructors, work with the drills, and concentrate on having a good time!

If you're not getting instruction but are still relatively new, work on the drills you were taught in the past and work your way up to a pace that you're comfortable with. You've got all day to ride! Some folks have 2 whole days to ride!

Like Martin mentioned earlier- now is a good time to start hydrating for this weekend. Drinking water the day of the event(s) is not good enough. It's necessary, but it's not going to help you NOT get dehydrated.

Stay away from caffeinated/ carbonated beverages, drink plenty of water, stay away from sugary drinks, and if you drink gatoraide or other sports drinks, try to drink them 1:1 with water (1 sports drink : 1 equal amount of water).
Old 06-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #31
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
i think that is why i like it so much gives a sucker like me a chance to have some fun w/ out really up
Well, I wouldn't go that far...

It's just that the track is very wide and there is still room if you "over cook" a corner, you can still bend it in and finish the turn most of the time without incident.

Most of the people who crash there, either run off because they panic, or low-side from making mistakes coming in to corners (speaking of noobs, obviously more experienced or fast folks there crash for lots of different reasons).

You'll all be fine, just make sure you hydrate, listen to your instructors, stick with the instruction curriculum, and lastly, have fun!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #32
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
WTF ever... aint none of u novices holdin it on til the transition.
That's what I am talking about. I'm always hearing people say you can hold the throttle until the transition. Maybe, my aint big enough.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #33
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

I was reading your post and was woundering about T10 and T11 so I vdo search... Im by no means one to give advice but ride at your own pace like the one guy does and dont worry about being the first to finish. Good Luck and keep us info. on how it goes. I hope one day soon I will be able to do a track day(ride smart class)

gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #34
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjai View Post
I was reading your post and was woundering about T10 and T11 so I vdo search...
What were you wondering about?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #35
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

Quote:
What were you wondering about?
Some where saying those turns were going to be the one to look out for... I was just woundering why was that. No biggie
gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #36
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjai View Post
Some where saying those turns were going to be the one to look out for... I was just woundering why was that. No biggie
If you're talking about the left as you come out of the horseshoe, yeah, it's a good place to spin up and low-side. It's all about the rider though. Smooth throttle and a good body position will get you through the corner well enough

Just remember, most folks will little or no track experience will crash due to some common issues like target fixation and poor braking/ throttle techniques. You'll find those same folks blaming their crashes on other things that are "out of my control" too
Old 06-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #37
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):

Member Garage

That turn can be a little tricky, demanding you to be smooth or you will end up on your . I remember last race i was doing at TWS (Texas World Speedway) i was spinning a little coming out of the turn. Give it time and you will start to feel the tires sliding and spinning and be able to control it rather than chopping the throttle off.

Quote:
If you're talking about the left as you come out of the horseshoe, yeah, it's a good place to spin up and low-side. It's all about the rider though. Smooth throttle and a good body position will get you through the corner well enough

Just remember, most folks will little or no track experience will crash due to some common issues like target fixation and poor braking/ throttle techniques. You'll find those same folks blaming their crashes on other things that are "out of my control" too
Old 06-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #38
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

is it the weekend yet?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #39
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody1010 View Post
That turn can be a little tricky, demanding you to be smooth or you will end up on your . I remember last race i was doing at TWS (Texas World Speedway) i was spinning a little coming out of the turn. Give it time and you will start to feel the tires sliding and spinning and be able to control it rather than chopping the throttle off.
spin that ho slidewayz !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #40
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
spin that ho slidewayz !!!!!!!!!!!!
I spun it sideways at OHR and ended up going a little bit too sideways . Im sorry I dont have the skill you have Jody.

Advertisement