MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

helmet law gone, deaths and head injuries up

imagine that!

Study: Since Pa. Motorcycle Helmet Law Repeal, Deaths Up

POSTED: 1:04 pm EDT June 12, 2008
UPDATED: 6:00 pm EDT June 12, 2008

PITTSBURGH -- In the five years since Pennsylvania repealed its motorcycle helmet law, the number of riders has gone up and so has the number of head injuries resulting in death.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's motorcycle crash in June 2006 was the most publicized motorcycle accident in recent memory.

Doctors said Roethlisberger is lucky to be alive after slamming his head off a car and the pavement.

A new study by the University of Pittsburgh shows many other riders involved in crashes without a helmet have not been so lucky.

Video: Watch Jake Ploeger's Report

"We found that after the repeal, motorcycle helmet use went down, and the death rate from head injuries from motorcycle crashes went up about 32 percent," said lead study author Dr. Kristen Mertz.

Mertz compiled data from the year before the helmet law was repealed in 2003 and the year after. Her findings not only indicate the death rate rose 32 percent, but the number of riders hospitalized for head injuries also increased by 42 percent.

That also translates into an increase in health care costs. Mertz estimates the average hospital bill, not including doctors' charges and after-care, is $88,000 to treat a head injury.

"So all these excess hospitalizations from head injuries are costing millions of dollars," she said.

Mertz said she would like to see the helmet law reinstated, saying the facts speak for themselves.

"Helmets reduce risk of death by about 37 percent, so they're not perfect," she said. "They don't prevent the non-head injuries, and they don't prevent all head injuries, but one out of every three people who die could be saved if they have a helmet on."

State Rep. Dan Frankel, D-Allegheny, has introduced legislation that would reinstate a mandatory helmet law for all Pennsylvania motorcyclists. He called the study's findings "stunningly dramatic" and said the cost to taxpayers alone is reason to make a change.

"Here you have a low-tech answer to saving money in the health care system and all we have to do is vote to reinstate the helmet law for Pennsylvania," Frankel said.

And with the price of gas continuing to rise, the number of motorcycle riders is also expected to rise, which could cause even more motorcycle fatalities.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Regarding Helmet Law & Gear Law specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 124 06-30-2008 09:09 AM
track day injuries/deaths? NorthHoustonGSXR Taking it to the Track 49 01-13-2008 07:50 PM
Florida Repeals Helmet Law - MC Deaths Skyrocket MadseasoN General Discussion (Moto Related) 45 06-22-2006 09:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

something else i just read

""The fact is, motorcycle crashes spread pain far beyond their victims. In 2005, according to the National Transportation Safety Board, bikers without helmets figured in 36% of motorcycle crashes but accounted for 70% of their $12.2 billion cost.""
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 06-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
WTF were they thinking when they repealed the helmet law??
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Yup...

We have a "protective headgear" ordinance in Pearville... regardless of whether or not you have the 'lil green sticker of $10K in insurance... FWIW
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
WTF were they thinking when they repealed the helmet law??
peoples right to choose if they want to wear one.

I do cause I choose to, I don't need the government telling me to wear one.

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

I say .... repeal all helmet laws just make it so that all who chose to not wear their helmets automatically are removed from medical insurance or something like that.

It's their choice ... but here's the consiquence ... and we're not going to foot the bill for it.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post

thats fine, but as the reports show, WE foot the bill. now it's my and your problem.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 06-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

llmckee - the point is that though you obviously have the intelligence to know that it's a valuable inconvenience to wear a helmet , so many people don't have the same common sense to know how obviously dramatic hitting your head can be. Probably the same people who don't wear seatbelts...

But even with the law - the government is really not forcing you to wear a helmet, they're just going to occasionally charge you ride without it.

But my totally friendly argument would be: laws say you have to have insurance, a license plate, a license, not ride intoxicated.... so what's the worry about the safety requirement extending to forcing the public to understand that it's important to protect the most valuable part of the human body?

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
R6Spartan
1000 Killer

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
50th aniv R6 and

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post

fawking right
Old 06-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Numerous healthcare studies have shown that prevention is far more cost effective than treatment. Examples include: traumatic brain injuries from bike/motorcycle accidents, diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and hip/lower limb osteoarthritis. Prevention of each of these is MUCH LESS expensive than the treatment.

I personally think that the government should be minimal and personal freedoms only restricted when the rights of others are adversly affected. The problem with no helmet law and the other preventable (mostly) conditions listed above is that by not limiting one person's right (i.e. no helmet law, freedom to eat yourself to obesity, diabetes, etc) your are infringing on the rights of others...those who because of the irresponsible actions of a few, must now bear the burden of higher taxes, and ever-increasing healthcare costs.

Limitations MUST/SHOULD be placed on the few to protect the majority.
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Old 06-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
striker
Zip Tie Guy

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2003 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badzx14r View Post
so whats your point...if you don't foot the bill for this....you be footing the bill for tree frog mating practices ....just cause somebody puts on a helmet you think the goverment is gonna give your money back ....
+1

Lee Harvey Oswald: Where are you when we need you?
striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

the ignorance of some people... WTF should I help pay your extra health care costs because you wreck without a helmet?

Standard accident claims are (usually) unavoidable, so I don't mind paying my share of the costs. Deliberately choosing not to wear a helmet and increasing MY health-care costs is just down-right of you.

Please, take offense...
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #15
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Last edited by Badzx14r; 06-13-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #16
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #17
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
My opinion is just because it's not required by law to wear a brain bucket does not make it OK.

That said, it's still your choice. fk with your life if you want to but you won't catch me backing out of the driveway without a lid on.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #18
lorin70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
something else i just read

""The fact is, motorcycle crashes spread pain far beyond their victims. In 2005, according to the National Transportation Safety Board, bikers without helmets figured in 36% of motorcycle crashes but accounted for 70% of their $12.2 billion cost.""
I prefer the freedom to choose to wear my helmet.

We live in a country that spends over $2.4 Trillion on health care each year. Potentially saving $12.2 billion amounts to about 0.5 percent. I can already feel that extra $14 per year coming back into my pocket. If you want to reduce health care costs make laws that limit food intake and prevent the US from consistently being the most overweight country in the world. Far more health care costs are the result of obesity than motorcycle accidents. Obesity is preventable too.

If helmets could save 37% more lives then there may be 37% more people who live after a traumatic brain injury and thus require expensive ongoing medical care. If those 37% die then their health care costs are pretty short term, so by saving more people it would again increase health care cost.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #19
Myrdok
Dude No Longer With a POS

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
02 Suz Katana 750 (Sold)
09 CBR600rr

u may be able to limit food intake in restaurants nut not at home. they can still eat 2 bags of chips and fried chicken. what about the people who are obese because of genetics. you cant put a regulation on that. putting a regualtion on helets is alot more realistic than food. i eat pretty good. mayby chicken wing or a double every now and then and i play sports with my buds for recreation. i still have extra pounds. i dont go out and gorge myself. this is a mix of genetics. my pops has the same build i do
Myrdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #20
Ogre
Ancient one

Bike(s):
Blackbird

States are very inconsistent with these laws. How many states require all passengers in a car to wear seat belts but don't require helmets on motorcyclists. I would argue that either both should be mandatory or both optional. Since driving and riding are considered privileges rather than rights, I would argue that both should be mandatory (one of few areas where I am willing to let government dictate).

Comment on the stats in the article. Says injury and death rates have gone up, but also says ridership has gone up. Article implied increase in injury and death is related to no helmet laws but makes no mention of adjustment factors for increased ridership. Poor reporting IMO so you can't rely on their stats to tell you anything meaningful about the helmet debate or the real impact that helmets have on mortality and morbidity rates.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement