MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Suspension Tuning - FZ1-type riders

So, I know people complained about the 01 fz1 that the suspension can't be tightened enough... but I'm wondering; how tight do you normally set your suspension when you are NOT on the track?

Mine is set to full-on tight - performance is very predictably stable, but it really does seem harsh. Am I going to endanger myself by softening up the bumps a little on this thing?

Man, if I mis-throttle on a shift, I can really feel it because it's set so stiff. Now, maybe, since I'm not a particularly heavy, it's just not tuned to me.

I softened the front a bit, but Motorcycles Unlimited guys stiffened it back up when they repaired my front end, so I'm thinking maybe I'm crazy for not liking the harshness of it?

So what's the scoop on this? Do you all change your suspension depending on which kind of riding you're going to do?

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension tuning duston98 Performance and Modifications 12 04-01-2012 12:12 AM
Thanks for the suspension tuning GIXXERKELLY Motorcycles Unlimited 1 03-19-2011 08:45 PM
suspension tuning agg2001 Taking it to the Track 15 05-15-2009 09:34 AM
suspension tuning RIP11 Taking it to the Track 9 06-30-2006 12:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

i dont mess with my own suspension. just take to patrick

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Radar

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Suspension set-ups are a begeinning point - the guys @ Motorcycles Unlimited will tell you that. Experiment with it - keep good records - only change one thing at a time and ride it. Be patient - it may take a while to get it where you want it. Record where it is when you start (all the settings) you can always put it back.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
maxgs

Member Garage

Absolutely, particularly since you are a big guy. I am as well at 6'6" and 295. It's keenly important to properly set the sags on the bike. If you ever bottom out the shock or forks, you run the risk of immediately losing traction at that end of the bike.

Additionally, if the rebound/compression ratio is not set properly, the suspension can "jack down" during a series of bumps again causing you to lose traction when it bottoms out or worse, break something.

And one last thing, rebound is particularly important on the bike. If the shock rebound is set too stiff, it can allow the rear to unload and spin the tire.

-Curt
Old 06-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Track setup is too stiff for the roads around here, IMHO. I run mine soft enough to soak up the bumps, but stiff enough not to bottom on the big stuff or high speed.

Suspension is there for a reason, to soak up the bumps and keep the bike stable and the wheels planted; if it is too stiff it isn't working right, and CAN spit you off.

I am not an expert (and did not sleep in a Holiday Inn last night), but if you want some help let me know.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

As Radar said, your best bet may be to let us set it up for you, and then if necessary you can fine tune it a bit.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote