MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 05:42 AM   #21
maxgs

Member Garage

Just because the racers and fellow track rats run race tires on the street does not mean a noob or average street rider should follow suit. There is a dramatic difference in the riding and experience levels between the two camps. Lord knows I run stickies on the street.

Two my two cents.

-Curt
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone interested in trading dirt tires for my street tires? Faithfulfather Super Motards 4 07-07-2015 03:36 AM
Tires for track/street dj77 Taking it to the Track 10 07-09-2013 12:35 AM
Track tires (street tires exempt) Slovy Taking it to the Track 30 03-11-2013 03:37 PM
Tires after a track day, Then Street cbrwayne General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 06-21-2011 07:29 AM
Track/street tires! Candie Taking it to the Track 40 05-09-2007 07:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #22
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
ive been runnin my own take offs on the street for 15 yrs and have never been able to tell the difference them or street rubber. ... i even run full slicks on the street tard. this thread is full of bullshit... you people act like yall go out on the street and ride like ur Rossi or sumthin.
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #23
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
ive been runnin my own take offs on the street for 15 yrs and have never been able to tell the difference them or street rubber. ... i even run full slicks on the street tard. this thread is full of bullshit... you people act like yall go out on the street and ride like ur Rossi or sumthin.

I ran take off for years on my bikes, going all the way back to my first one when I couldn't afford anything else.

Granted, they don't work great in the rain, and yes, they do wear out quickly, but if you need a tire and don't have enough for a new one, take offs will get you by.

In the end it's kind of a false economy though.
A take off lasts less than a qurter of what a new street tire does.
By the time you've changed the tire 3-4 times you could have bought a new tire, changed it once and had some money left over.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #24
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

My biggest issue with them, and the reason I won't sell them to someone who plans on using them on the street, is because of the way the rubber will degrade and harden vs street rubber. Not to mention, they're usually so wasted on the edges that it makes the tire triangular shape.

That's just me though, I will try not to preach to anyone else about it... I'll try...
Old 06-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #25
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

I ran take off for years on my bikes, going all the way back to my first one when I couldn't afford anything else.

Granted, they don't work great in the rain, and yes, they do wear out quickly, but if you need a tire and don't have enough for a new one, take offs will get you by.

In the end it's kind of a false economy though.
A take off lasts less than a qurter of what a new street tire does.
By the time you've changed the tire 3-4 times you could have bought a new tire, changed it once and had some money left over.
With all do respect Patrick, wasn't it you that insisted that I not buy BT002 pros for TWS (Texas World Speedway) if I was ever planning to ride with them on the street. They work in a narrow heat range, bad in the rain, etc.... u suggested the BT002 Ride Smart's instead.

So new race tires are no good for me on the street, but takeoffs would be? , I must REALLY BE A NOOB.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #26
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

This is more about when to change tires but it shows a few used tires track and street...

gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #27
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
all of you think to much.

the tires cold will out perform most street tires. and when they are hot they definitly will out perform all street tires. i dont care how many heat cycles are on the tires.

by having a tire that is more worn out on the side on your street bike, by the time you get some wear in the middle the tire is still going to fairly round. UNLIKE street tires, once the middle starts to get worn on them you have a big flrat spot that gives the tire another edge. and when transitioning over that edge you are going to loose grib.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
My biggest issue with them, and the reason I won't sell them to someone who plans on using them on the street, is because of the way the rubber will degrade and harden vs street rubber. Not to mention, they're usually so wasted on the edges that it makes the tire triangular shape.

That's just me though, I will try not to preach to anyone else about it... I'll try...
i would rather have a tire that is trianguler shaped than a tire with a flat spot. atleast with a triangular tire you'll have more grip leaned over than you will riding on a tire with a flat spot

SAY YES TO RACE TIRES
Romeo36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #28
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

I ran the 10 around with my old 002's... never had any issues with 'em. I would let 'em get good and warm before any aggressive riding, but other than that, you should be good...
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #29
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
With all do respect Patrick, wasn't it you that insisted that I not buy BT002 pros for TWS (Texas World Speedway) if I was ever planning to ride with them on the street. They work in a narrow heat range, bad in the rain, etc.... u suggested the BT002 Ride Smart's instead.

So new race tires are no good for me on the street, but takeoffs would be? , I must REALLY BE A NOOB.
I THINK he meant that full-price, brand-new race tires would not be optimal for your mostly-street-situation. But if you can buy take-offs for $50-$75, the cost/wear issues are negated/eliminated.

As far as rain riding, how often does anyone do that?? Sometimes, you may get caught out, and if you do you would be wise to be very cautious no matter what tire you're on.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #30
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

You can definitely use it for the street. Try it and form your own opinion.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #31
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post

It's a waste to ride new race tires on the street, take offs are better unless you ride the street like you do at the track.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #32
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
I THINK he meant that full-price, brand-new race tires would not be optimal for your mostly-street-situation. But if you can buy take-offs for $50-$75, the cost/wear issues are negated/eliminated.

As far as rain riding, how often does anyone do that?? Sometimes, you may get caught out, and if you do you would be wise to be very cautious no matter what tire you're on.
Curt,
In my post I stated that take offs "don't work great in the rain."

To me take offs are an alternative for people who can't afford new tires and needs something TODAY.

They are not a substitute for someone looking for maximum traction / wear life, so the advice I gave you still holds.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #33
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:

I rarely ride on the street - perhaps 4 times since I bought the bike. Anyway, I understand Patrick's point.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #34
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Curt,
In my post I stated that take offs "don't work great in the rain."

To me take offs are an alternative for people who can't afford new tires and needs something TODAY.

They are not a substitute for someone looking for maximum traction / wear life, so the advice I gave you still holds.
Patrick, it's all good. Just giving you a friendly ribbing.... I know I'll always be a Noob to you guys that have been riding since Kennedy was president.

-Curt
Old 06-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #35
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
...would not be optimal for your mostly-street-situation...
That is really funny.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #36
jodyhudson

that ! i run cheng shins on my yo !
Old 06-14-2008, 10:19 PM   #37
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
that ! i run cheng shins on my yo !
Don't bag on the Cheng Shins dawg!

Back in '86 (iirc), that was my first "race" tire! No lie, I was going to order them from Dennis Kirk, they were their "race" tire which looked like a slick that had tear drop sipes punched in a pattern to conform to DOT regs. The week before I was going to order them, someone had a brand new set at Oak Hill that were the right size for my FT500, and they gave them to me.

That set of tires lasted me the whole season!

Don't ask me how they performed though, I wasn't fast enough to know, and besides, the FT didn't have enough hp to make any tire work...

Man, I haven't thought about that shyt in years.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #38
jodyhudson

Quote:
Don't bag on the Cheng Shins dawg!

Back in '86 (iirc), that was my first "race" tire! No lie, I was going to order them from Dennis Kirk, they were their "race" tire which looked like a slick that had tear drop sipes punched in a pattern to conform to DOT regs. The week before I was going to order them, someone had a brand new set at Oak Hill that were the right size for my FT500, and they gave them to me.

That set of tires lasted me the whole season!

Don't ask me how they performed though, I wasn't fast enough to know, and besides, the FT didn't have enough hp to make any tire work...

Man, I haven't thought about that shyt in years.
honky ! i aint raggin on the shins homie ! i use to race cheng shin endouro tires at the TMGP races on the xr100. won a couple gumball machine trophies on them hos ! fukin it up old skool
Old 06-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #39
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
honky ! i aint raggin on the shins homie ! i use to race cheng shin endouro tires at the TMGP races on the xr100. won a couple gumball machine trophies on them hos ! fukin it up old skool
That's awesome, I thought I was the only one on this earth who was brave enough or cheap enough to run those biatches at the track!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:57 AM   #40
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
That's awesome, I thought I was the only one on this earth who was brave enough or cheap enough to run those biatches at the track!
here's to all you guys that road race with cheng shin. Y'all have a lot of heart, don't know about the head but a lot of heart.

Advertisement