Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
06gsxr1000pg

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 Gsxr 1000

Race fairings??

I am hooked on the track and have a couple of questions?

I have an 06 gsxr 1000 and want to purchase race fairings for it.

I was thinking of switching them out for the track and street untill i can spring for a track bike.The wife would leave me for sure if I bought a second bike. Just bought the gsxr in feb. Is this a bad idea or would this work for the time being?

How bad are the $300 race fairings from ebay. yoshimitsu...etc

What fairings come the most recommended?

Thanks for all your help
and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
06gsxr1000pg is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where do you get your race fairings painted? Senna223 Taking it to the Track 5 09-01-2011 07:23 AM
modify race fairings??? greaselightnin Performance and Modifications 3 08-02-2010 12:47 PM
Race fairings Grimace Taking it to the Track 29 07-09-2009 06:27 AM
Race fairings Ricky464 General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 05-06-2009 09:37 AM
Hardware for Race Fairings Jerran V Taking it to the Track 16 05-07-2008 02:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Attack hands down, Sharkskinz second.

The cheap E bay ones are just that, cheap.
You get what you pay for.

Give me a call tomorrow and I'll see what kind of deal I can get you on the Attacks.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
06gsxr1000pg

Bike(s):
2006 Gsxr 1000

thank you for the help...... i will be in touch patrick.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Race Fairings

Pm

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

There may still be some for the '94 out there- not likely, but maybe.

Like Patrick said, don't settle for anything other than the Attack, you'll be sorry.

The cheap brands you may find are just that- cheap, and yes, you get what you pay for.

Go see Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited and get the hookup- there are other brands out there that aren't as expensive as the Attack that he can get you, but there is no comparison with the Attack vs them for fit/ finish/ quality of materials/ backing the product out there- BAR NONE!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mudbug View Post
can you get them for 94 zx7? It will be on the track soon!
yeah u can... but why would u wanna. i raced an endurance race on one of those back in 94. it handled like a wheelbarrow full of bricks
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Well I do exactly what you're saying, although my track setup stays on the bike more then the street. It takes me 1.5 hours to switch from street setup to race fairing taking my time on my GSXR.
I run the E-racing fairing and for $342 to my door, I'm pretty happy. I've heard about the attack being the best and all and I'm pretty sure fitting those up compared to the cheaper stuff is a lot easier. However my e-racing went on with only minor tweaking. I had to trim the draft shield up to fit exactly right with the dremal and the pre-molded indentions for where you are supposed to drill to hold the fairing on at the sides of the bike was slightly off. No big deal really. I was able to attach it fine and still used my stock button head screws and rubber grommets. Oh also I had to trim a notch for the kickstand to come down. My only real complaint was the finish was not as smooth as say the attack stuff. There are some imperfections in it in places and the only way to fix it is to add more resin and then sand it down smooth before painting. It's not a big deal though considering I was not looking for a show bike in track form. Just a bike that photographs well and look good standing next to it without looking to hard for the imperfections. I think I got it coupled with Tony's paint job. If money was not an issue or I was racing and had sponsors I'd get the attack on there dime. Also my buddy has low sided his e-racing with great results. They held together fine for that. Another not is when riding the bike it feels like the stock stuff, meaning I hear no rattling and don't see the fairing moving around any. It doesn't seem as cheap as it is. Anyway just my .02
Here are some picks of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ME @ MSRH 6-7-08.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	12701   Click image for larger version

Name:	ME @ MSRH 6-7-08 (1).JPG
Views:	224
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	12702   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1697-smaller-1.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	12704  

Last edited by gixxerman; 06-12-2008 at 08:18 AM.
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Attack was easy to fit (pretty much just drilled out the dimples) and easy to paint (I'm told... Tony did it).

I left my factory tail on the bike for any daytime rides I might wanna do... that would be my suggestion.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #10
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Good on ya Gixxerman for being happy with your E-racing fairings.

I have worked on plenty of all different brands of bodywork over the years, and painted/ repaired countless sets for friends and fellow racers. Everything ranging from the cheap Ebay brands, Pit-Ek, Hotbodies, Sharkskinz, Godfather, OPP, Beasley, Attack Performance, Airtech-Streamlining, AK, Multi-Tech, etc, etc, etc. Without any doubt the higher end sets are the ones that hold up the best.

Due respect to Gixxerman, a talented painter like Tony can make anything look good with good prep and nice paint. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. That bodywork may survive a simple low-side pretty well, but chances are it will have holes in it with only minor scuffing whereas the Attack wouldn't do that. Additionally, with an impact type of crash, the likelihood of the bodywork actually shattering or breaking in to pieces upon impact are pretty high.

Bodywork is graded on several factors for racing machines. The higher end sets use a very high grade resin that is firm, yet flexible and strong. A combination that is tough to achieve, and qualities that the cheaper body sets don't have with their cheaper resins. Along those same lines, the higher end sets also use a higher quality fiberglass cloth, that is a tight weave with just the right amount of layers in the right places. The cheaper brands will often us fiberglass mat, some use "blown" fiberglass, and then most of them use a loose weave glass that is thick (to compensate) with less layers.

I have years of real-world experience with repairs and with new stuff along all brands of race bodywork regarding paint/ repair. All of my friends and people I deal with that started out with the cheap stuff, usually always gravitate to the Attack or Sharkskinz eventually. In a side-by-side comparison, you can see, feel and definitely tell the difference in the bodywork with regard to Attack and just about anything else on the market.

Not to mention, of the "Best" bodywork on the market, there are few that can compare to Attack for fit/ finish/ quality/ crashability/ repairability, especially for the price! Attack costs less than all the other "top" brands by a couple hundred bucks!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

I forgot to mention, Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited sells all brands of bodywork, so if you want the cheaper stuff, he can get it. It's just that in the long run, like a lot of things, if you spend the money now on the good stuff, you won't have to in the future

Personally, I'd spend the money to get the Attack, and have Tony hook me up with an awesome paint job
Old 06-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #12
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Yoshimitsu...sanded, painted myself. Came together very nicely. Drilled holes in dimples. Ordered DZUS fasteners. I've never done anything like this before. If I can do it, anyone can!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Track Bike.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	12712  
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #13
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

forgot to mention...though it's very do-able...I will be calling Tony next time.
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
Yoshimitsu...sanded, painted myself. Came together very nicely. Drilled holes in dimples. Ordered DZUS fasteners. I've never done anything like this before. If I can do it, anyone can!
I don't think he was asking about "if he can do it", he was asking about the quality of the cheap stuff, and what are the most recommended.

I've not worked on the Yoshimitsu yet, why don't you toss yours so we can have a look at how well they crash? J/K

Nice rattle can job there btw Jerran
Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
I have also worked on countless amount of brands.....and Attack Racebodies is the #1 product in my book. I think Attack Racebodies is even better than Sharkskins. I've used Attack on every track/race bike I have owned and will continue to use them, unless their product takes a trip down south of course. If you decide you want to spend the extra buck and get a product that has been proven to be superior, give Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited a call and he'll get you hooked up.

If you are looking for a cheap way out....that Yoshimitsu stuff is a good bargain basket type deal. It's $299 plus shipping (Shipped to Larry Meyers at MSR-Houston). If you want, PM me, and i'll give you his number and you can order it from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I don't think he was asking about "if he can do it", he was asking about the quality of the cheap stuff, and what are the most recommended.

I've not worked on the Yoshimitsu yet, why don't you toss yours so we can have a look at how well they crash? J/K

Nice rattle can job there btw Jerran
unfortunately, one of my sponsored riders went down a few weeks ago with the Yoshimitsu bodywork. So i'm left here repairing it Thanks a lot Derek

but thankfully, this stuff actually crashed pretty well. No shattered pieces and everything (that wasn't grinded away from sliding on the pavement) is still intact. this crash was around 100-120mph. i'll try and shoot some pics of it, although i've already did some repairs to it.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #16
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

oh yeah, and if you're looking for a nice paintjob at a great price ......i can help with that department. just shoot me a pm.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
06gsxr1000pg

Bike(s):
2006 Gsxr 1000

I really appreciate all the help and look forward to seeing you guys out at the track.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #18
you da man

Experience: 7 years

I've had Air-Tech, Sharkskinz, Hotbodies, and E-racing. I've only crashed once, 2 months ago and still recovering, and the bodywork was destroyed beyond repair (hotbodies). The way I see it is that if you have a "minor" crash with minimal damage...say a crack/tear/burn through here and there and you have "the good stuff" once you repair it, it's going to be alot more brittle in the repaired area. Those who paint and repair have more experience in this department and will probably say that with the better bodywork at least you still have bodywork to repair vs taking a chance with the cheap stuff "exploding" or shattering on you. I'm not a crasher (once in 8 years of riding, racing and trackdays) so I'm not into repairing bodywork and I do my own paint (it's amateur but it's not bad either). I'll just replace it and sell someone the crashed stuff. I do know this, if Attack Performance is better than Sharkskinz then that is some good stuff. With the E-racing I also had to dremel the undertail and the tail a little to get it flush. There was pin holes in the tail but the rest was fine.

Last edited by you da man; 06-12-2008 at 04:47 PM.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by you da man View Post
I've had Air-Tech, Sharkskinz, Hotbodies, and E-racing. I've only crashed once, 2 months ago and still recovering, and the bodywork was destroyed beyond repair (hotbodies). The way I see it is that if you have a "minor" crash with minimal damage...say a crack/tear/burn through here and there and you have "the good stuff" once you repair it, it's going to be alot more brittle in the repaired area. Those who paint and repair have more experience in this department and will probably say that with the better bodywork at least you still have bodywork to repair vs taking a chance with the cheap stuff "exploding" or shattering on you. I'm not a crasher (once in 8 years of riding, racing and trackdays) so I'm not into repairing bodywork and I do my own paint (it's amateur but it's not bad either). I'll just replace it and sell someone the crashed stuff. I do know this, if Attack Performance is better than Sharkskinz then that is some good stuff. With the E-racing I also had to dremel the undertail and the tail a little to get it flush. There was pin holes in the tail but the rest was fine.

it is equivalent to sharkskins in quality and fit. what makes it better is the finish and price.

and wow, 8 years of riding/racing/trackdays and 1 crash......my hats off to you! hopefully my next crash won't be for a long while. i'm still recovering mentally from it

Old 06-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #20
you da man

Experience: 7 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post

it is equivalent to sharkskins in quality and fit. what makes it better is the finish and price.

and wow, 8 years of riding/racing/trackdays and 1 crash......my hats off to you! hopefully my next crash won't be for a long while. i'm still recovering mentally from it
Thanks but I still think I've got room to improve, 1:55-56's at TWS (Texas World Speedway), couple 1:24's at Cresson, and 1:29's at OHR. The price of Attack is very reasonable for those who are interested in them. For those who are doing or thinking about getting race bodywork for your street bike, I used to be in the same boat years ago. To save alot of time I would get the race bodywork and an extra fairing stay and mount it to the race bodywork (the upper). when you are ready for a trackday all you have to do is unplug and remove the gauge cluster from the stock fairing stay and unbolt the stock fairing stay from the neck of the frame (should be two bolts only). The entire front fairing with headlight should come off in one piece. The race upper can then be mounted to the neck of the frame quick and easily if you already have it mounted to the race upper. I could convert my street bike to race trim in under 30min while having a beer or two.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement