MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: which option?
option 1 12 34.29%
option 2 8 22.86%
option 3 15 42.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
what would you do?

So here's my dilemma: I have an '01 aprilia RSV 1000 sitting in my garage. The bike runs like a champ, but looks like . A buddy of mine and I painted it, and used an apparently non-gas resistant clear so as soon as I dribbled a little gas on the tank it ate the paint right off. I'm trying to decide what I should do with it.

Should I...

1. turn it into my trackwhore

2. sell it with the paint and buy a gixxer 600 trackwhore

3. pay to have it repainted and restickered, and buy a gixxer 600 trackwhore (and maybe pay off a few bills)

If this were a "normal" japanese I4 bike the decision would be easy, but seeing as its a slightly more rare bike....I'm having trouble making the call.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Sell it to me for hella cheap.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
Sell it to me for hella cheap.
what do you consider hella cheap?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 06-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
what do you consider hella cheap?
PMd
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

don't buy a gsxr

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

'01 Mille's are not selling very well at all. You can pick one up cheap unfortunately (unfortunate for the people that had to buy it new), even the "R" models with the Ohlins and in GREAT shape are cheap- like at the most $5k- maybe.

They're great bikes to ride, very forgiving and fun. A little heavy for the track and unless you have the "R" model, you have to do some suspension work. The engine is not too bad and pretty reliable, but you have to consider with a track bike that you'll want ease of maintenance and a good availability of parts- which doesn't fit in to the equation with the Mille.

Personally, I would re-paint it (the right way) and keep it for the street or try to sell it. If you try to sell it, get ready to wait for a long time for the right buyer to come along because there is just no demand for that kind of bike.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
So, just the gas tank paint got ate up? just repaint the tank and keep it.. Such a nice bike....
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
So, just the gas tank paint got ate up? just repaint the tank and keep it.. Such a nice bike....
If he's got the plastic tank, that's easier said than done. It has a flat black paint that almost impossible to match.

If it's the gloss black metal tank, it's much easier to work with.

Po-Po, if you like the bike, keep it. I wouldn't put it on the track though. Parts and upkeep are way too much for a Mille of that vintage. Take it from someone who has first hand experience.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
If he's got the plastic tank, that's easier said than done. It has a flat black paint that almost impossible to match.

If it's the gloss black metal tank, it's much easier to work with.

Po-Po, if you like the bike, keep it. I wouldn't put it on the track though. Parts and upkeep are way too much for a Mille of that vintage. Take it from someone who has first hand experience.

I've had the bike for a few years, and it really hasn't required more money than any other bike I've owned. However, I also have an '07 gixxer thou. I've been using it as a track day bike, but I'm still making payments on it so I'd rather not. So its either the aprilia or whatever (completely paid for) bike that replaces it thats going to be the track .

CMRA #302
Old 06-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
I've had the bike for a few years, and it really hasn't required more money than any other bike I've owned.
Wait until you take it to the track... or toss it down at the track. A big twin at the track will have unique things that occur with it, aside from if it gets tossed.

You can fix a GSXR for half what it would cost to fix that Mille.

Just sayin'.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun bike to ride at the track; not a fun bike to fix though...
Old 06-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

Popo 5.0 do you have any pics of the tank's damage??
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
Old 06-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

I spilled gas on it, and then tried to wipe it off.....which promptly ate even MORE paint.what would you do?

CMRA #302
Old 06-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
I spilled gas on it, and then tried to wipe it off.....which promptly ate even MORE paint.what would you do?
I've got the code and matte clearcoat for that paint. It's not too bad- the materials are the biggest cost (the matte clearcoat is expensive).
Old 06-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #14
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):

Right ^^^
Its not as bad as I thought .. Materials for the job are the biggest cost factor IMHO.
Is that the plastic or metal tank??

I would just repaint it and trade/sell it for a track bike that doesnt have payments...
Like was stated before- most people prefer a Inline 4 because they are so much easier to deal with and availability of parts than your Italian steed.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
Right ^^^
Its not as bad as I thought .. Materials for the job are the biggest cost factor IMHO.
Is that the plastic or metal tank??

I would just repaint it and trade/sell it for a track bike that doesnt have payments...
Like was stated before- most people prefer a Inline 4 because they are so much easier to deal with and availability of parts than your Italian steed.
That's the plastic tank. The metal ones were gloss.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #16
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Definetly a plastic tank. They were all plastic starting in '01.

CMRA #302
Old 06-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Definetly a plastic tank. They were all plastic starting in '01.
They had metal tanks too, the metal tanks came on the bikes with gloss paint.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #18
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
don't buy a gsxr
Check my sig, its too late. Thats not my first one either.

CMRA #302
Old 06-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #19
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

more bikes the better! yeah!
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement