MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 04:25 AM   #1
SFT2

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
95 Buell S2 Thunderbolt SS #678/1399

Member Garage

Rearset features

I'm not sure if this is against any rules, but I'll beg forgiveness later.

I have access to some pretty cool machinery at work, including a CNC mill. SO I'm going to make some rearsets for whatever bike I buy in the next couple of weeks. The only bike I've owned with aftermarket rearsets was my ZX7R with CFMs. They weren't bad at all, but if I'm designing the parts, might as well make 'em perfect

So, the question is, what design features would you want in a set of custom rearsets?

I'm gonna be making all kinda neat billet stuff in the next few months. Rearsets, clip-ons, upper triple clamp, muffler bracket, levers, maybe clutch and stator covers, etc. Should be a fun project
SFT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helmet trims and features LRD Gear Talk 7 08-17-2011 06:43 PM
5 Leaked Photos of New Facebook Features Pyrofallout Off Topic 12 12-08-2009 11:41 PM
New Features Added jesterkjh Forum Updates & Feedback 19 01-26-2006 03:13 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Great range of adjustability. Very durable (crash worthy). If they look cool, that's a plus. Function should be your #1 priority.

Good luck.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

You gotta walk the line between too strong and too weak. Too weak and they wont hold up even in a mild 'down.'
Too strong and they will stand up in a crash, but maybe be so strong that they break at the attachment point to the frame...then youre screwed.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
most stock shift arms will bend in when damaged but still have clearance to continue riding...Id make sure there are plenty of movement allowed in the mounting grommets(which will also minimize vibrations while riding.) Adjustability and even a quick gp shift set up is a nice feature.

As for the stator covers, have you heard about the lexan and LED covers? People cut out the center of the clutch covers and install a lexan glass, some put leds in it to make the lexan glow a light blue etc... then paint the outside ring where the allen bolts are installed. there are complete step by step write ups w pics on busa web sites if interested.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
SFT2

Bike(s):
95 Buell S2 Thunderbolt SS #678/1399

Member Garage

How much adjustability? The 3d models I've thrown together as a starting point have about 2" front to back and 3" vertically on one design, about 5" on another. The weak point in the design is at the tabs where they attach to the frame. 1/4" thick, about 3/8" wide aluminum. That should break before anything on the frame does. One good thing is that all of the parts are easily replacable, so I'll just make a few spares just in case.

LED covers? Yup, gotta see that

I'm heading out of town for most of a week in an hour or two, so no work will get done, but at least I'll be destressed when I get back
SFT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Clutch cover mod(completed) and the second is one of the Led Mods. Other Led mods make the whole lense one color
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch cover mod.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	12590   Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch cover mod led.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	12591  
Old 06-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT2 View Post
I'm not sure if this is against any rules, but I'll beg forgiveness later.

I have access to some pretty cool machinery at work, including a CNC mill. SO I'm going to make some rearsets for whatever bike I buy in the next couple of weeks. The only bike I've owned with aftermarket rearsets was my ZX7R with CFMs. They weren't bad at all, but if I'm designing the parts, might as well make 'em perfect

So, the question is, what design features would you want in a set of custom rearsets?

I'm gonna be making all kinda neat billet stuff in the next few months. Rearsets, clip-ons, upper triple clamp, muffler bracket, levers, maybe clutch and stator covers, etc. Should be a fun project
roller bearings besides the other stuff already mentioned
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement