MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
B'Stones Bt-003 initial impressions

I mounted up my first set of the new Bridgestone Bt-003 race tire I got from South Central Race Center (med compound front and rear). I didn't get as much time in on these tires as I would have liked, but my initial impression is that they are very good! I know there aren't many threads or reviews on this tire yet so I figured I'd throw up something simple. These are just my opinions.

My subjective observations:

- I didn't measure the 003's diameter or make any geometry changes (I'm switching from the 002's), still, the new 003's worked well with my old settings. There were no unwanted handling characteristics.

- The tires seemed to absorb more of the impact from bumps better than the older model. Track felt smoother. This is something I personally liked the most.

- Very stable on front tire on corner entry. No feelings of washing out the front or overloading it on corner entry. Obviously, I liked that. Turn in seemed a little smoother to me, but I need more time on them to really evaluate that.

- When really pouring on the gas, this tire was much quicker to stand the bike up and put the power down. It held mid corner lines just fine, but it seemed easier to get on the meat of the tire quickly on the exit by using the throttle. I didn't have to physically pick the bike up as much it seemed. Maybe a profile difference here? I'm not sure. Anyone?

- It seemed I could feel more of what the tire and bike was doing. These tires seem to move around a little more than the 002's, but there was no slipping/sliding, just some welcomed feedback if you will.

-Next time out I plan to play with front pressures a little more. I had a lot of confidence in the front for trail braking. Now I would like to see how good I can get the front to feel with a few changes of psi. I ran the tires at 27fr/25r psi COLD. Rear felt great at that psi. I'll bump up the front a little and see how it likes that.

-Time will tell how it holds up to repeated use, but so far so good.

Anyone else try this tire yet? What are your opinions?
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BT-003 B.T.R. General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 08-10-2012 10:20 AM
Reebok Realflex initial review Chubby Racer Health and Fitness 9 12-19-2011 11:16 AM
Pilot EVO Custom Suit - Initial Thoughts cdill35 Gear Talk 9 08-13-2011 02:31 PM
BT-003 lasting & pressures gixxerman Taking it to the Track 40 09-25-2008 04:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
Fight The Chaos

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 cbr 600
'06 zx6r
'03 250r
'05 R1

I've been told these tires hold the ground very well. I'm unfortunately biased since i've been using Corsa 3's since i got the 636 and i thought nothing could top these tires...I'll have to check these out...

I also heard Pirelli recently came with Rosso tires...an upgrade of corsa 3's i presume.

Is Rossi running bridgestones?
Fight The Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight The Chaos View Post
I've been told these tires hold the ground very well. I'm unfortunately biased since i've been using Corsa 3's since i got the 636 and i thought nothing could top these tires...I'll have to check these out...

I also heard Pirelli recently came with Rosso tires...an upgrade of corsa 3's i presume.
The Rosso's are a replacement for the orginal Diablo's not the Corsa 3's.

BTW, I just got a set of 003's and can't wait to get them on the bike and try them out.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Bike(s):

Quote:

Yeah try these tires out if you're riding on the track (I don't know what kind of riding you do so forgive me if you only ride track already). These tires are not in the same category as the Corsa III's though. Corsa III's are street/track tires, 003's are track tires.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
GsxrStar
drama patrol

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 750

Send a message via AIM to GsxrStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Steptoe View Post
Yeah try these tires out if you're riding on the track (I don't know what kind of riding you do so forgive me if you only ride track already). These tires are not in the same category as the Corsa III's though. Corsa III's are street/track tires, 003's are race tires.

fix
Old 06-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

The LSTD boys tested the 003's at Cresson and had nothing but rave reviews and dropped lap times to impart to me about them. They loved the softer carcass too. They're testing them today too.

I plan on trying them as soon as my current tires are done (which should be after TWS (Texas World Speedway) on the 22nd).
Old 06-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

What track did you test these on and what were the lap times?
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whoopie View Post
What track did you test these on and what were the lap times?
I didn't test them, the LSTD Team tested them, that's why I said I was going to try them after I get done with this set of 002's- Gabe posted a thread on it here about a week ago.

I think I posted that they tested at Cresson.... yup
Old 06-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...highlight=gabe

I don't recall them saying as much as Derek has above, I'll see if I can get Mark or Gabe to write something up when they get done today.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Fight The Chaos

Bike(s):
04 cbr 600
'06 zx6r
'03 250r
'05 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Steptoe View Post
Yeah try these tires out if you're riding on the track (I don't know what kind of riding you do so forgive me if you only ride track already). These tires are not in the same category as the Corsa III's though. Corsa III's are street/track tires, 003's are track tires.
i do both street and track. 5th trackday. Time to get some 003's for the track
1of669
Old 06-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Track rubber is the shiznit, it's a whole new level of grip
Old 06-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Track rubber is the shiznit, it's a whole new level of grip

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #13
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:
i do both street and track. 5th trackday. Time to get some 003's for the track
1of669
Chaos these are race tires that they are talking about. They are not DOT tires. You may not pass state inspection if you put them on your bike, and if you do put them on your street bike, and they are not going to last very long on the street. That's why they make a tire like the Cora III's, they have a harder center and a soft shoulder so the center doesn't wear out to fast and the shoulders still stick in corners. But they still don't stick as well as a race tire.
XRCajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #14
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
Chaos these are race tires that they are talking about. They are not DOT tires. You may not pass state inspection if you put them on your bike, and if you do put them on your street bike, and they are not going to last very long on the street. That's why they make a tire like the Cora III's, they have a harder center and a soft shoulder so the center doesn't wear out to fast and the shoulders still stick in corners. But they still don't stick as well as a race tire.
The BT003 is a DOT approved race tire. With that said I don't recommend using them on the street. I usually suggest the BT002 Ride Smart for street & trackday duty. Obviously there are performance differences, but the BT002 Ride Smart is a very capable tire. It will not compare to the grip of the BT003's though.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #15
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
The BT003 is a DOT approved race tire. With that said I don't recommend using them on the street. I usually suggest the BT002 Ride Smart for street & trackday duty. Obviously there are performance differences, but the BT002 Ride Smart is a very capable tire. It will not compare to the grip of the BT003's though.

John
Whoops stand corrected. I didn't know it was a DOT, I'm surprised they got this tire DOT approved when it seems to be so soft.
XRCajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #16
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post

John
By the way, thanks John for the same day shipping on the tires since I didn't want to drive up there to get them.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Whoops stand corrected. I didn't know it was a DOT, I'm surprised they got this tire DOT approved when it seems to be so soft.
DOT doesn't approve on the compound, just on the fact that they meet a certain criteria for the tread.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #18
Fight The Chaos

Bike(s):
04 cbr 600
'06 zx6r
'03 250r
'05 R1

Quote:
cool, thanks for the heads up. I plan on buying another set of rims for track only anyway. These corsa 3's don't get as much milage as other street tires so i'm aware buying 003's on the street is a waste of $$$.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #19
you da man

Quote:
Chaos these are race tires that they are talking about. They are not DOT tires. You may not pass state inspection if you put them on your bike.
You guys get your street bikes inspected...really?
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #20
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by you da man View Post
You guys get your street bikes inspected...really?

Most of us, myself included. It's just over $1/month, and one less reason to be hassled by the cops. I don't see a reason not to.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement