Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #21
dainese poster boy
Feedback Rating: (0)

06 ZX6R

+1 to the thank yous to the instructors. Consistency is the key. being smooth and at ease, then the speed comes. Also knowing where you are on the track at all times will help with your speed too because you don't have to think about which turn is next, you just know it. I've read the "code" way and done a track day with his organization and he preaches that a lot. Smoothness and knowing where you are with your reference points. If you can do a lap with your eyes shut (while off the bike of course) and your time is close to your actual time, then you know that track!
Originally Posted by Whorenet View Post
i think theres about 137 mexicans left in mexico.....the rest of em are living in that house down the street
strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question. Killerjoe123 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 08-18-2011 04:46 PM
question fiddyrider Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 9 06-16-2009 12:48 PM
question Harveyjl2 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 17 10-25-2008 10:50 PM
Question? koskesh Off Topic 23 04-17-2006 09:01 PM
got a question need your help on GSXR question Racer X 05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 08-05-2005 01:11 PM
Old 06-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
LSTD Mob Cappo
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

First, thanks for all the kind words

Second, I believe Candie has a valid question that gets discussed off and on here from time to time, but in a round about way. Some people place too much importance on the wrong things (IMHO), and Candie (as I have gotten to know her), isn't that type of person. She and Tim are good folks with good hearts, and seem to have their priorities in place

Third, the comments and feedback from folks like you, that come to our track days and others, are what drive us to have a constant improvement program.

I wouldn't even be here to discuss this in any type of informed way if there weren't folks like Ronnie Hay, Steve MacNamara, Connie (RIP) & Charles Brothers, and countless others who devote their time and energy to things like club racing and track days, as well as overall promotion of our sport! In so many ways, none of us would.
Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
I give a lotta praise to all the coaches/instructors/CRs of all orgs. It's grueling to be out there watching guys/gals that don't ride at your pace, know where they're blowing lines, remember the things that need to be improved upon, and be able to convey all of that a whole range of folks of different experience, skill, and backgrounds.
True! Personally, I really enjoy it, but it is tough. Often, I'll stick around for the "A" group after getting off working with students in the "C" group, just so I can remind myself that I am capable of picking up the pace!

The really cool thing is when you work with folks who end the day running a really respectable pace and say something like "man, something you said in the classroom made such a difference with ". If I hear that once from a student, it makes the whole day worthwhile!

Having folks around like SBK Pilot helps immensely though, because he brings in the video that allows us to remember what we may have forgotten while on the track to critique. H-Man does an incredible job of working with that program for us

Originally Posted by [poser] View Post
there's an old saying, "those who can't do, teach"
it's been my experience, not in racing or track time as I have done neither, but the best at something is seldomly the best to teach someone else how to be greater than them
I was trying NOT to say that because I don't really buy in to it. There are two things that I have been successful in that I like to teach, one is at the race track, one has to do with my work.

I think there are exceptions to this "rule", because I know a lot of people that I respect immensely that are successful at "doing" and "teaching".

I know where you're coming from on this, but it's not always true.
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #23
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I think a good track rider is very similar to a good track driver. When we were instructing we looked for consistent lines; being smooth particularly at turn in, braking, and with the throttle; driving/riding in a very predictable manner; overtaking and being overtaken safely and driving reasonably fast. I've had several people say sub 1:50's is a decent time at MSR-H, and sub 2:00's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on a bike.

Speed around the track is definitely a factor.
Thank i am sub 50's I am now a decent rider.
Big Comfy thinks Hillary Clinton is a Hottie and wants to plow in her field more than anything in life. Big Comfy you might consider yourself to be a warped very warped individual.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #24

Member Garage

Unfortunately, I'm over 1:50's right now....