MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #21
AiJay
AJ... that's the name.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Huffy 10sp

Send a message via AIM to AiJay Send a message via MSN to AiJay
Patience and respect is something that I basically inherited after almost 15yrs of martial arts. I've always eased into things and fully grasped the concept before trying new things. I know that I would respect even a 1k+, it's just when you have "OMG get a fu@king 250 to start on" basically shoved down your face, it almost feels like your failing the people who said it. I mean it's not the hassle of buying a 250, riding then reselling... it's the fact I believe that I my fun factor would be extremely limited after getting used to the bike. Like everyone else has said if you ride like a moron you're going to get injured or even die regardless of engine size.
AiJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike you most regret selling? wh!plash General Discussion (Moto Related) 45 06-16-2015 02:31 PM
Do you REGRET your divorce? Squoddybody Off Topic 223 03-14-2013 08:18 AM
Modifications you regret ? AYEELE General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 06-25-2011 11:13 AM
Musharraf: U.S. would 'regret' crossing into Pakistan CaJuNsOuLjA Off Topic 14 01-11-2008 02:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #22
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blends View Post
I expected a lot of yes's when I saw the thread title but not 100%!

This is the consensus, yet most of you will probably tell someone with zero miles to start on a 250. Intresting.

you wont catch me telling anyone what size bike they should get.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #23
KeeBee
Old man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
12 HD Street Glide
11 HD Softail Deluxe
SOLD 08 Liquid Silver R6
STOLEN 93 GSXR 750

Send a message via AIM to KeeBee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aijay View Post
Searched around and didn't find a thread like this one.

If you went against what everyone said and started out on a 600cc+ bike instead of a 250 do you regret it?

I was talking to my buddy who started out on a 99 CBR f4 (the bike I learned on before the MSF) and to this day says he regrets not learning on a 250.

Granted I have never owned my own bike (hopefully to change by the end of the week) but I learned on a 600, took the MSF, and feel confident that getting a 600 for my own would fine.

-evolutionsentra
I started on a GSXR 750 years ago. Never had any problems. Just picked up a 600 2 weeks ago. Loving it. Don't think I would be happy with a 250. But to each their own.
KeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #24
AiJay
AJ... that's the name.

Bike(s):
Huffy 10sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeBee View Post
I started on a GSXR 750 years ago. Never had any problems. Just picked up a 600 2 weeks ago. Loving it. Don't think I would be happy with a 250. But to each their own.
I mean, I had a blast riding the ninja 250 at the MSF in the parking lot. Basically power limited to the space I was given. If I was going for commuting it would definitely be a 250, but this will be my weekend toy.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #25
TrevorC

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

I started on a stretched R1 as my first bike....lowsided it 3 months later after I got it...couldn't afford another R1 so I went with a R6. Sticking to the Yamahas. I don't regret starting on a 1 either....

R6 is alot slower in the straights, but its still plenty quick for cornering.
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #26
AiJay
AJ... that's the name.

Bike(s):
Huffy 10sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorC View Post
I started on a stretched R1 as my first bike....lowsided it 3 months later after I got it...couldn't afford another R1 so I went with a R6. Sticking to the Yamahas.

R6 is alot slower in the straights, but its still plenty quick for cornering.
I'm going to look at a 2002 r6 tomorrow for my own. I'm a twisties man myself. If I want to go fast i'll jump on my buddies 99 busa.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #27
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
you wont catch me telling anyone what size bike they should get.
I'm not saying you specifically, or anyone else really, but when someone posts up that they are looking for a first bike and asks advice on the size of the bike there are a LOT of replies saying 250. The rest of them are people saying they started on a 600 and did fine but with the standard disclaimers.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #28
AiJay
AJ... that's the name.

Bike(s):
Huffy 10sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by blends View Post
I'm not saying you specifically, or anyone else really, but when someone posts up that they are looking for a first bike and asks advice on the size of the bike there are a LOT of replies saying 250. The rest of them are people saying they started on a 600 and did fine but with the standard disclaimers.
+1. to me it all depends on your riding skill and your level headedness. I honestly believe you could start out on a 200whp+ busa/R1/etc and be just fine as long as you respected the machine your is strapped too.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #29
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

I've ridden for about a year now. Started out on a 600. All other riding other than that was several occasions on 125cc dirt bikes at my grandpa's house in Cali. I do not regret starting on a 600 as my first street bike, but I feel that I had a very level head about it all. I took MSF and never left my neighborhood (Rodeo Palms on 288) for the first 300 miles or so.
Since then, I have ridden about 6000 miles and done one noob TD. I think doing the TD is what improved my riding more than anything else...hands down.
Would I be a better rider had I started out on a 250 or 500, the world will never know.

Last edited by matemike; 06-03-2008 at 08:52 PM.
matemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #30
Htownz

Member Garage

Yeah I regret it now. Should of got a 1000.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #31
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

When I bought my first bike I thought along time about buying a small displacement scoot.
I realized that, for me, I would out grow it in probably less than a year and then want something bigger.
So, I bought a big bike (850 cc) and told myself that it won't go any faster than I make it go. I took it easy, realizing I didn't know what I was doing, I rode only around the local area. After a while I slowly developed enough skill
to be able to branch out to faster more congested roads until I felt like I knew what was up.
Then I crashed and knew I had more to learn. Took it easy for a while, then crashed again.
I still havent learned it all, at least I crash less often now.
Wear your gear, take it easy and remember the immortal words of Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations".
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #32
AiJay
AJ... that's the name.

Bike(s):
Huffy 10sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
When I bought my first bike I thought along time about buying a small displacement scoot.
I realized that, for me, I would out grow it in probably less than a year and then want something bigger.
So, I bought a big bike (850 cc) and told myself that it won't go any faster than I make it go. I took it easy, realizing I didn't know what I was doing, I rode only around the local area. After a while I slowly developed enough skill
to be able to branch out to faster more congested roads until I felt like I knew what was up.
Then I crashed and knew I had more to learn. Took it easy for a while, then crashed again.
I still havent learned it all, at least I crash less often now.
Wear your gear, take it easy and remember the immortal words of Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations".
As the saying goes, "it's not if you crash, it's when you crash." I don't care if I'm just riding it around the block, my is going to be geared head to toe.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #33
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #34
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

my sv650 is my first bike, and i have been on it since sept of last year. no problems so far.
i do want to ride a 250 to see what it's like, and i almost sold my bike so i could get an rs50. i will be taking my msf soon, and really hope that they have a ninja 250 i can ride. i want one of the new ones, but i would much rather have one of their 6's
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #35
logan5

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Is it possible that the reason why you are getting 100% no regrets ... is because they are the 20% (yeah, pulled that one out of my a$$) that survived or are still riding ... the other 80% probably would still be riding if they had started on something smaller.

All i know, is that I started on a 250. Commuted for a year on it and now ride an SV650 as my commuter. I don't regret a thing. Bought it cheap will probably get most if not all of it back when I sell it. 60-70mpg and cost almost nothing to maintain ... it's a beginners dream.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #36
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

which, the 250 or the sv?
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #37
strat1701
dainese poster boy

Bike(s):
06 ZX6R

My first bike was an 883 sportster. Put on 596 miles on it, learned how to ride a motorcycle on that. It was too heavy for my tastes and I sold it and got a 95 ninja. In hindsight, that 95 ninja, unbeknownst to me at the time was running on 3 cylinders which taught me great throttle control because I didn't want to bin it, I was purposely timid. Then I had the carbs cleaned and resynced and it was a different bike. I still practiced self control, never wheeling the thing at all, ever. Honed my skills and rode that for a year and a half. then I got my new 636 which I have now. I've only ridden a liter bike once, last year at the IMS, a 10r. I will move to a liter later this year, but I'm going to keep my 636 as a track only bike as I like it. The more comfortable I get on my 636 the better control I think I'll have with the liter because I know I've got something even more powerful. Because of my timid throttle experience on my first "real sportbike" (my 95) I think some of that throttle timidness still carries over, which is why I'm the slowpoke on the track! But that's why I'm comitted to doing more trackdays so I can get over some of those things that are standing in my way. I still consider myself learning but I do not consider myself a noob rider. I'd love a 250 or something smaller sized to refine some stuff without the fear of dropping my 636 which is why I was toying with the idea of getting a small mini bike or something like a 50 but with street tyres.
strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #38
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
don't regret it, but I do think I would have learned more at a faster pace with a smaller bike, although I would have outgrown it fairly quickly. I did start on a katana 600 which is almost like a 250. Never took MSF a day in my life...haven't read twist of the wrist or whatever it is either. Just gotta learn the bike and how to operate efficiently and smoothly, while all the while keeping your safety in mind and in check.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #39
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Is it possible that the reason why you are getting 100% no regrets ... is because they are the 20% (yeah, pulled that one out of my a$$) that survived or are still riding ... the other 80% probably would still be riding if they had started on something smaller.

All i know, is that I started on a 250. Commuted for a year on it and now ride an SV650 as my commuter. I don't regret a thing. Bought it cheap will probably get most if not all of it back when I sell it. 60-70mpg and cost almost nothing to maintain ... it's a beginners dream.
I think everyone has no regrets about what size bike they started on becuase they have no regrets that they started riding on a BIKE. Everyone is just plain thankful to be riding!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #40
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

My brother started out on a 600 and now that he wants to start riding again (it's been 4 years) he wants to buy my 250 off me when i decide to move up. Gas mileage and such.

About regretting starting on a bigger bike, one acquaintance i spoke to before I started riding told me 'you always see stories of people talking about going against many other peoples advice and starting on a 600cc or bigger bike and how much they loved it. what you don't see is the stories of people who started on a bike that was more than they could handle, cause most of them don't have a chance to get online and tell everyone their stories, they're dead or stuck up in a coma in some hospital'. That was one of the things that hit home for me and made me decide on taking a 250.

I'd suggest asking some people you know if they think you're responsible enough for a bigger bike, not just a best friend, maybe not even someone who supports you getting a bike. Somebody against the idea will probably be able to dig up more evidence from the past of when you've gotten carried away and it may make you mad, but is probably the advice you could take. If not to start on a smaller bike, then at least to be cautious and not repeat your old mistakes.

Advertisement