MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
madvette74

Feedback Rating: (0)

missing a tube under gas tank plus more

well, after a bunch of bs from a dealer, I took off the tank, to drain it, added fresh gas.. I noticed there is a tube under the tank with no hose connected (it's a small tube) to it, does anyone know what it is suppose to hookup to?? it's a 89 gsxr-1100

also maybe someone can tell me, what this may be, the bike sputters sometimes, mostley when I come to a stop and accelerate, then it clears it self up, or I just give it a quick rev and it's then fine..

Now, one more thing, on my gas tank fuel valve there are three settings, if you turn it to the right there are 3 letters PRI down is ON to the left is RES..
what should the bike be on during riding, and where should it be when done riding for the day?
[IMG]tube[/IMG]
madvette74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a gas tank garrick General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-18-2014 03:59 PM
Old gas tank aznconquerer How To's and Q & A's 9 06-25-2012 11:32 PM
looking for gas tank ely2000 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 04-22-2010 08:39 PM
Missing tank bag from RideSmart 9/13 event maxgs Ridesmart Motorcycle School 22 09-30-2009 09:07 AM
Gas Tank, need help... RideToDie Performance and Modifications 2 07-30-2006 08:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

YOu should get that fixed...

morefun00800033mr[/IMG][/
!!If it aint its !!
B.S. Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

the nipple you see is an exhaust vent for the tank. usually there is a rubber hose that connects to that and runs down the side fairing.

the fuel on your bike is called a fuel petcock. you should have three settings which are "on, off, reserve". on your bike it may be "on, prime, and reserve" and its ok to leave it on the "on" position the whole time or you can turn it off if your gong to have it stored a long time.

if sometime down the line the bike wont start even though it sounds like it wants to crank up, turn the petcock to the off position and that will stop the carbs from receiving gas, then it will clear the carbs. carb bikes usually flood or have air/fuel mixture problems. maybe thats why you have hesitation.

when you come to a stop are you engaging the clutch all the way in? is the bike properly warmed up when you take it out for a spin?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #4
madvette74

yes, this happens even when the bike if fully warmed, and I am sure I have the clutch fully engauged.. what does prime mean?? there are only 3 settings on the petcock...
Old 10-18-2005, 11:00 PM   #5
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvette74
yes, this happens even when the bike if fully warmed, and I am sure I have the clutch fully engauged.. what does prime mean?? there are only 3 settings on the petcock...

your priming the bike's engine for use. just like when you prime a lawnmower before you crank it up.

you just keep it in the "on" position. if they bike has more than 15k miles i suggest you take the bike in for a carb tune up so they adjust the needles, etc.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

Or just do it your self but ya...

!!If it aint its !!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

sounds like your idle jets are clogged. no big deal to clean them out.
not knowing your bike get a service manual.
just pull your air/fuel mixure screw out on the side of the carbs. screw the jet IN first and make note on how many turns it is out for replacement, 2 and 1/4 turns. be carefull. there will be a jet, spring and an o-ring. you then find the same passage in the intake where your air filter is.
spray carb cleaner thru that passage and out the side. REALLY GOOD then clear with some compressed air.
Your idle jets control air/fuel up to like 3000 rpms i think.
where are u located at?
Michael
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvette74
well, after a bunch of bs from a dealer, I took off the tank, to drain it, added fresh gas.. I noticed there is a tube under the tank with no hose connected (it's a small tube) to it, does anyone know what it is suppose to hookup to?? it's a 89 gsxr-1100

also maybe someone can tell me, what this may be, the bike sputters sometimes, mostley when I come to a stop and accelerate, then it clears it self up, or I just give it a quick rev and it's then fine..

Now, one more thing, on my gas tank fuel valve there are three settings, if you turn it to the right there are 3 letters PRI down is ON to the left is RES..
what should the bike be on during riding, and where should it be when done riding for the day?
[IMG]tube[/IMG]
I had a 88 gsxr 750 come by my place and Ill lend a hand... Im almost an expert on those things now. lol
Old 10-24-2005, 09:37 PM   #9
madvette74

I'LL tell yea, I am pretty good a bodywork painting, and some mild engine building on muscle cars, but I am bit nervous on taking these carbs apart or even doing a valve adjustment.. where can I get a manual?? I would gladlmissing a tube under gas tank plus more[/url][/IMG] y trade some of my experience for someones help with this, anyone near boston ma???
Old 11-02-2005, 12:48 AM   #10
cyclonebuzz

Member Garage

hey u dont have pull the carbs apart to clean them just run a tank of racing gas trew it. it should clean up no prob. also there is a tank vent on that bike but also a over flow 2. i think that bike also have a vacume operated petcock and the prime is on all the time, on is on when the bike is running, res is ur reserve. it should be on on when u r ridding. there should be 2 fuel lines and 1 vacume line.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:37 AM   #11
DuBwEaR
Agent PIMP

Bike(s):
2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX7R

Member Garage

racing gas really works too. i would only do half supreme and half racing gas and then go do the loop a couple of times to run it through
1995 Honda Shadow VLX
2004 Nissan Frontier XE
DuBwEaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:57 AM   #12
PETE
CLUTCH

Bike(s):
Don't have one =(

Send a message via AIM to PETE
u should get that checked
PETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:58 AM   #13
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Clymer and Haynes both make pretty good manuals, you can buy either at most any bike shop. If the carbs are clogged with varnish left over from evaporated gas the best way to clean them is to pull them off and disassemble them. Race gas isn't going to cut it, I can't tell you how many customers that have tried that because they heard it works and still had to clean the carbs.
Pull the bowls and the slides, pull the main and pilot jets and clean all of the passages, don't forget to clean the airjets in the bell mouth.
If you're not comfortable disassembling the carbs, you can pull them off and take them in to a shop there in Boston and they can clean them for you. After you reinstall them they'll need the bike back so they can synch them. You didn't say how many miles were on the bike, but if it's an '89 the valves are probably due for an adjustment. The manual can walk you through it or they can take care of that as well. Hope this helps you out.

Patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:22 AM   #14
madvette74

very good... I was thinking about removing the carbs and hoping some shop would clean them out for me.. since I first put this post up, I removed a valve the was on the vent line, it connected to top of the gas tank, previous owner put it there, once I removed that the bike no longer stalled on me when driving.. I quess this valve had a button it to release air.. I was having a real hard time starting the bike in the morning, even on a full tank. so I started to put the petcock valve on res, no problems at all starting the bike now.. the only issue is that very seldom does the bike sputter, this only happens when I come to STOP AT A RED LIGHT.. the motor has 7000 miles on it... I wonder if the petcock has anything to do with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Clymer and Haynes both make pretty good manuals, you can buy either at most any bike shop. If the carbs are clogged with varnish left over from evaporated gas the best way to clean them is to pull them off and disassemble them. Race gas isn't going to cut it, I can't tell you how many customers that have tried that because they heard it works and still had to clean the carbs.
Pull the bowls and the slides, pull the main and pilot jets and clean all of the passages, don't forget to clean the airjets in the bell mouth.
If you're not comfortable disassembling the carbs, you can pull them off and take them in to a shop there in Boston and they can clean them for you. After you reinstall them they'll need the bike back so they can synch them. You didn't say how many miles were on the bike, but if it's an '89 the valves are probably due for an adjustment. The manual can walk you through it or they can take care of that as well. Hope this helps you out.

Patrick
Old 11-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #15
madvette74

also, curious to know... I took the bike in about a month ago, to dealership in everett ma.. I got to price quotes, one was 225.00 the other from the service manager that was 455.00... is this a bit to much, what can I expect to pay..
Old 11-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #16
madvette74

those prices were to just clean and dial in carbs..
Old 11-02-2005, 11:28 AM   #17
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

$200 - $275.00 for carbs, as long as there's no parts involved. I doubt it needs a carb cleaning based on what you just told me. I'm assuming you've looked at the plugs and wires, and airfilters to make sure they're all in good shape. To check the petcock make sure the vacuum diaphragm isn't allowing gas to leak through it into the vacuum hose.
If you need some further advice please feel free to call me at the shop.

Patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #18
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

Yea just call the master.

!!If it aint its !!
Old 11-08-2005, 12:24 AM   #19
cyclonebuzz

Member Garage

well the pri setting on the petcock is to fill the carbs with fuel. the petcock on on only works when the motor is turning over. reserve u basicly have it flowing freely but from the bottom of the tank. u can pick up trash from the gas tank. also those petcocks have problems with going bad and needing to be rebuilt. i sudjest u take the tank off and see if the petcock is leaking. if so it probly needs 2 be rebuilt.

Last edited by cyclonebuzz; 11-08-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:05 AM   #20
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

yea

!!If it aint its !!

Advertisement