MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

Wanna save money on gas?

lately there has been a lot of threads about riding bikes to save gas money. I have a suggestion that will ultimately save you money on gas. It has been brought up many times before but many refused to such a system. Are you ready? Share rides and mass transit system.

Neighborhood pick ups and drive to the parking lot of trolley/trains/bus. If you have to stay late at work then you have to hitch a ride home or have your family member come pick you up. If you wake up late, you are on your own. If it's your turn to drive and you are late, you better move to a different neighborhood.

It's just a suggestion.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
...Another way to save money... Vividkid Off Topic 14 05-03-2011 02:21 AM
Ways to Save Money Kodak Off Topic 33 05-19-2009 09:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

My car was down last week so I rode METRO for 3 days. My 37 mile commute took 90 minutes instead of the usual 45. It wasn't all that bad though. I got to catch up on some reading and the Park & Ride busses are pretty nice. Total cost=$19.50/3 days.

If you plan on riding make sure you call them to confirm your route. The maps on their website are not up to date.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Ain't no mass transit coming out to my neck of the woods there homies!

I bought a '88 Honda Prelude. It gets 30mpg, has a bunch of cool (for '88) options, but no working A/C. Obviously, A/C is first on my list of priorities for this car.

The truck just sits now unless I need it.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I commute in my tank and bar hop on my feet.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Gringo3825

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg

I drive back and forth to work for 6 days and costs me $27.00. Madseason did three for $20. Don't see that being very pocket book friendly. I bought my bike for the sole purpose to save money on gas. I get 42 mpg on my 600. With the bike payment and cost of gas and insurance i still save almost 300 a month than if I drove my truck.
Gringo3825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

try costing to every light you can in neutral and let the car slow you down, and when you accelerate out of a red light remember to go slowly, the more you press the gas petal the more you dump gas into your engine. those two tips added 15MPG to my car.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Drive like there is an egg on the throttle... easy on, easy off.
Make sure your tire air pressure is correct, and the alignment is right.
Keep the air filter clean, change the oil at regular intervals, add a bottle of fuel treatment every 3 or 4 tanks.
Don't lug the engine.

Ask the company if you can work flex hours, and drive when there is less traffic

car pool
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
Ogre
Ancient one

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
lately there has been a lot of threads about riding bikes to save gas money. I have a suggestion that will ultimately save you money on gas. It has been brought up many times before but many refused to such a system. Are you ready? Share rides and mass transit system.

Neighborhood pick ups and drive to the parking lot of trolley/trains/bus. If you have to stay late at work then you have to hitch a ride home or have your family member come pick you up. If you wake up late, you are on your own. If it's your turn to drive and you are late, you better move to a different neighborhood.

It's just a suggestion.
Lived in Philly area (commuted from NJ Pine Barens) for 20 years and they had a great public transportation system there (parking is probably about $30/day in center city now so there's good incentive). Train ride from the last stop out to the last stop in was about 15-20 minutes with no grade level crossings to conflict with traffic. Trains ran 24/7 with the longest wait between trains being 20 minutes. During rush hour the wait was 3 minutes or less, so you never had to worry about catching a particular train. Plenty of time to relax, read, do email etc. faster trip, easier commute, less expensive and they didn't make you feel like cattle. That's the way to make mass transit successful http://www.ridepatco.org/

Not sure if it could work in Houston (aside from the cultural and political issues involved). While Philly has a compact center city area with a fairly extensive set of underground walkways, so you could get most anywhere by walking just a few blocks from one of the stations, Houston's downtown seems to be pretty spread out and no very amenable to pedestrians.

I think that lack of a viable public transporation system or the desire to even plan for it will prove to be a great drawback to Houston's future.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Downtown Houston has quite a network of underground tunnels....
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

I TRIED to ride Park-N-Ride buses. When I swapped to Sun-Mon-Tues shift the buses became a mess! Problem 1 - They don't run on weekends so Sun in, Monday out is a no go. On Monday night the 5:22pm is remarkable unreliable and by 5:30pm I have to drive in or I'm going to be late to work - By Tuesday night, I'm not going to waste my time. I have my bike and a gas sipping 2000 Ford Focus - It could be worse...
Old 06-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Commuted to NYC from Jersey during my college years, and sometimes just to go visit the big city. I basicly used the commuting time as my homework time, and it worked out pretty well!! It beat being stuck in traffic driving the cage for 3hrs roundtrip, and it was actually quite relaxing. On the return trip, I just took a nap and by instinct woke up in time when we got to my stop.

The Mass Transit system here in Houston is not the greatest or most efficient, so I can understand why some prefer not to use it. But I still find it ridiculous when I look into just about every vehicle during rush hour traffic, and all I see is 1 person in each cage.

What's more stupid is the solution the City comes up with. Which is to add more lanes to the highways... so we can have MORE cages with single occupants jamming up the lanes, only to have them funnel into single lane exits creating deadlock. But that's the way it is when everybody wants to drive their own cars, and votes against Rail or other Mass Transit Proposals year after year.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaner-n-u View Post
I TRIED to ride Park-N-Ride buses. When I swapped to Sun-Mon-Tues shift the buses became a mess! Problem 1 - They don't run on weekends so Sun in, Monday out is a no go. On Monday night the 5:22pm is remarkable unreliable and by 5:30pm I have to drive in or I'm going to be late to work - By Tuesday night, I'm not going to waste my time. I have my bike and a gas sipping 2000 Ford Focus - It could be worse...
Suburban sprawl is another problem METRO faces is implementing an efficient Mass Transit system. Houston was designed around the Highway, and each year it continues to grow without any consideration to mass transit planning, it'll become more and more difficult, if at all possible, for METRO to ever come up with a good system.

20 years ago, and ever since then, METRO has been pushing for a rail system, only to get shut down. It was a miracle that they even got to doing one downtown and through the Med Center. But it was too little too late, but moreso for the reasons staed above. Alot of progress could have happened in those last 20+ years, but as stated before, year after year the taxpayers shoot the plans down.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #13
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
i am still amazed at the people who buy a SS bike and come up to me and ask "dude, i was almost empty, i put four gallons in, and i set my tripmeter, and i only got about 100 miles...whats wrong with my bike?"

i say "ummm...nothing?..."

and they go into this speil about how they were told bikes were more fuel efficient and the saleman or whoever told them so, and that 25 mpg cant be right, and im just lying to them when i say they cant get 40 mpg+ when they rip through the gears doing thier best rossi impression and do over 100mph down the freeway...what a jerk i am for just not wanting to fix this obvious problem...

yes, SOME bikes are wildly fuel effieciant. basicly any 250 and the gs500 are all good on gas. sportbikes ARE NOT. lol.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #14
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
i am still amazed at the people who buy a SS bike and come up to me and ask "dude, i was almost empty, i put four gallons in, and i set my tripmeter, and i only got about 100 miles...whats wrong with my bike?"

i say "ummm...nothing?..."

and they go into this speil about how they were told bikes were more fuel efficient and the saleman or whoever told them so, and that 25 mpg cant be right, and im just lying to them when i say they cant get 40 mpg+ when they rip through the gears doing thier best rossi impression and do over 100mph down the freeway...what a jerk i am for just not wanting to fix this obvious problem...

yes, SOME bikes are wildly fuel effieciant. basicly any 250 and the gs500 are all good on gas. sportbikes ARE NOT. lol.

speak for your own bike.... my busa gets 44mpg at 75mph... even more when at 55. FYI... that is 200 miles per tank.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #15
SFT2

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
95 Buell S2 Thunderbolt SS #678/1399

Member Garage

My truck (01 Durango 4x4) gets about 15 MPG. I work 16 miles from home, about 2/3 of that is a blast up 45. I spend just under $10 for a round trip. My bike (95 Buell S2) gets 50-55 MPG. So the truck is now parked 6 days a week (have to drive on Tuesdays so I can carry the kids to baseball practice), and if it rains I don't go to work. My boss bought an SV650 a few weeks ago so he could do basically the same thing.

So, to make it short (too late), my gas expenses went from $60/week to $10-15/week.
SFT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #16
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
Suburban sprawl is another problem METRO faces is implementing an efficient Mass Transit system. Houston was designed around the Highway, and each year it continues to grow without any consideration to mass transit planning, it'll become more and more difficult, if at all possible, for METRO to ever come up with a good system.

20 years ago, and ever since then, METRO has been pushing for a rail system, only to get shut down. It was a miracle that they even got to doing one downtown and through the Med Center. But it was too little too late, but moreso for the reasons staed above. Alot of progress could have happened in those last 20+ years, but as stated before, year after year the taxpayers shoot the plans down.

I do like the rail and I loved the bus when I got to ride it. I used to knit, read, play video games, listen to my i-pod, watch videos. The extra hour back and forth wasn't wasted paying attention to traffic. I always vote FOR the light rail.

Advertisement