Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

View Poll Results: Do you save be riding?
Yes, its noticeable. 34 51.52%
Its about even. 6 9.09%
No, its a luxury. 26 39.39%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #41
Teela
his dirty little secret

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2007 gsxr-600

i only live a mile away from my job so i take the car to work m-t and ride the bike on weekends when i go out. but i spend more money in gas just on the bike so i guess its a win-win for me cuz i like the a/c
Teela is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Numbers lanzer913 Off Topic 1 11-02-2009 11:29 AM
I NEED NUMBERS! dudewhrsmybike Off Topic 48 09-04-2008 10:38 PM
numbers NO MORE F4I Off Topic 16 08-28-2007 08:15 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #42
tarosean

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrob25 View Post
Anyone tried to spend $200 at Krogers on a bike? I really like A/C to. I think I'll keep a car and ride when it's convenient.

It does make sence that a bike is cheaper short term. I think long term it's better to have a car.
Sh*t now a days thats two to three bags...
easily fit in a backpack/tankbag, etc..

The pump isn't the only place we are getting a*s raped..
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #43
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarosean View Post
Sh*t now a days thats two to three bags...
easily fit in a backpack/tankbag, etc..

The pump isn't the only place we are getting a*s raped..

Yeah Brother! Its a job trying to keep the finances able to float the entire boat. I need to find a better paying job!
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #44
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
did not take into account breakage on car or bike.
he mentioned maintenance, if nothing did break on either car or bike, why would he need to mention it?

Quote:
Even then he rode 7k miles in a year? thats less than 6 weeks for me. So at his $3 a gallon, he saves 100$ a year that would be 100$ a month for me in my commute.
odd, 6 weeks in a month. you say 100$ a month, but at 100$ every 6 weeks, you're year has under 9 months in it. still significantly more than what they said, but only 75% of what people would normally see a year as.

also at your 60k miles a year plus you will go through plenty of maintenance, hopefully doing as much of it yourself as you can if you hope to save any money at all.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #45
Htownz

Member Garage

I was very close to buying a vette before I got my bike. After getting a bike, I get a much better "fix" for speed when riding it, with a tenth of what I probably would have paid for the sportscar to begin with. That's how I feel like I'm saving, or atleast saved.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #46
AWD
Cruise'n

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'06 600rr

Send a message via AIM to AWD Send a message via Yahoo to AWD
Quote:
I want to discuss this.
My bike really does save me a lot of money. Here's the breakdown of my car vs my bike.

Monthly mileage - 2500 miles.
Price of gallon today $3.85

Car - 1986 Toyota MR2.
MPG - 28 on a good day
Insurance - $75 monthly
Oil change - $28

So using my car for a month to get to work and back I spend
(2500/28) X $3.85 + $75 + $28 = $446.75

Bike - 2005 Ninja 250.
MPG - 67mpg (I get 200miles out of 3 gallons every time)
Insurance - $10 monthly
Oil change - $34

So using my car for a month to get to work and back I spend
(2500/67) X $3.85 + $10 + $34 = $187.65

That, folks is $260 saved a month! Will be a lot more once gas goes up another dollar.

Car is parked, insurance on it suspended and is for sale in the appropriate forum section.
What about you?

As with a few others, I just can't see using my bike as my daily to save some money. The safety risk is just not worth it in this city (especially when it rains). Not to mention the headache of needing to actually carry any for of cargo thats too big for a saddle/tank bag or back pack. Im sure would just enjoy the 90+ degree weather with a heat index of the sun lol

If gas is really hurting you...here is a cheap suggestion:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...eo-metro-4.htm

Almost 60 mpg.

And here:
http://houston.craigslist.org/search...sk=max&addTwo=

$700 OBO.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #47
strat1701
dainese poster boy

Bike(s):
06 ZX6R

While I don't refute that you can save by commuting on a bike, to me the $$ saved does not negate the higher risk of commuting daily with houston traffic. I've never taken my bike to work now that I work downtown, people drive like nutcases here on these one way streets, and the buses will try to run you over as well. To help counter higher gas prices I altered my route somewhat. I take a slightly congested 290 in the morning (I'm on it plenty early) and my normal route back home. Saved me half a gallon a day and about 2.50 per day in tolls. I actually do see a difference in my consumption. Bike to me is a fun vehicle, not a means to get me from point a to point b. Once I get all my ducks in a row I'm going to do far more track days than on the street.
strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #48
slim

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
03 R1
zx7r street fighter
95 shadow 1100

truck 15-17 mpg r1 50-68 mpg it saves in gas bill
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #49
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

Man I have a Sequioa, Land Rover and and SC400...all of which are 4 liter V8's or bigger. I'm kinda getting murdered on gas...but I never drive the Lex and roundtrip to work is 12 miles. The wife works from home so she hardly ever drives...

I rarely ride the bike to work

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #50
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Member Garage

me saves lots of cash. and i have alot more fun.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #51
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

i tallied mine and i save $369 a month....woohooo more money for the strip clubs..........thank for motorcycles.....
Old 06-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #52
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by coojo View Post
Club member A

Today I had a few minutes to kill, so I decided to see what kind of gas mileage I get out of my bike in the long run. And, since I was at it, I decided to also see if I am saving money in the long run by riding the bike instead of driving a car. To use Microsoft's acronyms, I tried to estimate the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership).

The executive summary is that the cost of maintenance is roughly equal to what I save in fuel. Of course, I spend less on car maintenance as a result, so there are some savings. If you are interested in the details, read on.

I've been riding it for almost a year, and it is interesting to average gas mileage over that period. In my accounting records I keep track of how much gas was put in at every fill up, mileage since the previous fill up and gas price (just so I can keep track of the historical gas prices, if I ever want to look that up).

I have 7233 miles / 111.457 gallons = 64.89 mpg. In the same time frame my Accord shows roughly 28 mpg. That's roughly 200 gallons saved over the course of 10 months (assuming that every trip I took on a bike I would've taken on a car instead, if I did not have a bike, which is not a bad assumption because almost all of the miles on the bike are just commuting). Gas prices seemed to hover around $3 over the past year, so that would be 200 * 3 = $600 in savings.

Since we are at it, let's do some more number-crunching. Insurance costs me $16/month. $16*10 months = $160. Tabs - $55. There were 4 oil/filter changes (80, 500, 3000, 6000 miles). Each is roughly $10. Can of chain lubricant is another $10 and a can of cable lube with a contraption to apply it was another $20, and I have plenty left. So, let's say I used $15 of that stuff. I have worn ~60-70% of the rear tire and have very little wear on the front. If we were to amortize that, let's say I've used $70 worth of rubber. I do my own maintenance, so there is no added cost there. (If you pay to have your maintenance done there is no way you will save any money in this scheme.) I will not include any “upgrades”, like lights in extra pods, bigger sprocket, rack, or hard top-case, as these are technically not consumables, and I could have done without them. For simplicity's sake, let's also assume that I will completely replace all of my gear in 5 years. That'd be roughly $100/year (and is a pretty conservative estimate). Tally up... 160+55+40+15+70+100=440. There's an unknown amount of chain wear, brake pads wear, other wear, fluids needing to be changed, etc. That should easily add up to $60 per year, making the total $500 if no repairs are needed

So, by riding a bike conservatively, servicing it myself and buying inexpensive gear I am saving roughly $100 per year. At best. Realistically, I probably would just break even - the savings in gas money would be completely offset by wear & tear and maintenance costs. In other words, riding the bike only saves me money I would've spent on car maintenance.

The result is: Yes, it will save you money, in the best possible scenario. In a more likely scenario, however, the bike will cost you more to own than not to. Also, a bike any more expensive than a 250 will cost you more money than you will save in any case.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I%27m_g...uying_an_EX250

Well said. I save a little, over a car like a VW GTI, however I save money over having a bike and a car. I save money over having a nice car. I break even with a cheap economical commuting car, so its choose this or the bike. Well done on the number crunching. I know I calculate $90 a month for my budget ($45 a paycheck) and save for whatever gear I want or oil changes and tires from that. So I but something on paypay no interest for 90 days, and pay it off in 2. That with ins, payments, etc, makes it more expensive than a cheap car......BUT who goes around taking on the twisties in a Toyota Camry!

I ride for the love it, rain or shine.

Sincerely,
BikerTrash
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #53
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

My bike is breaking me.

And now I am gonna get addicted to the track.

Bankruptcy.

That is all.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #54
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Member Garage

I save quite a bit just because of the amount of driving I do. I have rode nearly 11k miles since I bought my bike brand new in late October of last year. If you would figure the price difference on the much gas it would be tremendous.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #55
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
replacing tires every 5-6k, vs a car at say 30k, so you'll replace tires 5x on a bike for 1x on a car. so if you ride 18k a yr, you'll replace 3 sets of tires @> $200 set.

and most sportbikes tires only last 3-4k.

chain, every 15-20k
Something's wrong if you can't better 15-20k miles out of a chain.

Maybe a EX250's different, but I can get that out of my 520 kit on my 1000RR easily.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #56
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
truck 15-17 mpg r1 50-68 mpg it saves in gas bill
50-68 mpg on an R1? I'm impressed.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #57
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

lemme see I pay 90/yr for ins. I change tires about twice a year and chain/sprocket bout every 2 years

it costs me about 115 a month for my bike, thats about a tank and a half for my truck!

yep I save money

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #58
xrcrx
Immortal

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR Repsol Edition #369
Suzuki TLR1000

15mpg in my Vette, 38-40mpg or so with both the Repsol and the TLR. When the car gets back from paint it'll see limited driving time, shared with the bikes. When I work days and have to hit afternoon traffic I take the car-A/C is good. Otherwise I take one of the bikes. If it's a weekend i take the bike too. my gas bill offsets my tire use as it's a 42 mile round trip to and from work.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #59
zampano

Send a message via AIM to zampano
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcrx View Post
15mpg in my Vette, 38-40mpg or so with both the Repsol and the TLR. When the car gets back from paint it'll see limited driving time, shared with the bikes. When I work days and have to hit afternoon traffic I take the car-A/C is good. Otherwise I take one of the bikes. If it's a weekend i take the bike too. my gas bill offsets my tire use as it's a 42 mile round trip to and from work.
I usually average 23 mpg commuting in my 89 vette, pushing 30 if I go on a trip cruising at 80 - 85.... and dont get on the gas too much
zampano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #60
YZFracer212

Bike(s):
05 SV 1000 ~ Street, 2000 SV 650 ~ track, 2007 RMZ 250 ~ MX, 2003 CRF 88 ~ play

Send a message via AIM to YZFracer212
I am with Jet on the 12 mpg out of the truck. When gas was $2 gallon a figured out that if I rode my bike for 68000 it was paid for, with with gas almost $4 gallon that half the miles any my bike already has 30k on it. The tires are the biggest issue, but I run free take offs so have not paid for rear tire in like 10k miles at least.
YZFracer212 is offline   Reply With Quote