MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

View Poll Results: Do you save be riding?
Yes, its noticeable. 34 51.52%
Its about even. 6 9.09%
No, its a luxury. 26 39.39%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #21
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
I dont have the math worked out yet but just off he top of my head I spend about 90 dollars a week in gas in the truck - - 30 dollars a week if on the bike.

seems to me that x's 4 that would save me $240 right off the top.. just in gas expenses.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Numbers lanzer913 Off Topic 1 11-02-2009 11:29 AM
I NEED NUMBERS! dudewhrsmybike Off Topic 48 09-04-2008 10:38 PM
numbers NO MORE F4I Off Topic 16 08-28-2007 08:15 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #22
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

lol at truck drivers........
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #23
sunshyn
Sunshyn

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
IF you drop the car note and insurance. If you keep the car note and insurance, not so much.
I was just doing the either or comparison. If I had one or the other, ya know? Having 2 vehicles either way is gonna cost a bit of $$$.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #24
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
driving a car $446.75
riding a bike $187.65
Getting hurt on a bike riding to work and no work no pay, priceless.

Riding does save money but health/lives is more valuble. I hate riding during traffic hours and all these people are crazy. The front car like to drive fast and slam on the brakes. If there is an opening, someone will cut in front of them. If I leave them room then someone will cut in front of me and kill my following distance. The one behind me will likely do the same, riding my . If I give it brake check and it falls back. Another douchebag will cut in front of him and the cycles continue. That's not counting, someone could try to squeezed into your lane because they didn't pay attention.
Right! I ride everyday and will continue to do so: HOWEVER PEOPLE:

When saying you save (which you do at the pump), I would beg to differ. I say you break even, or save a minute amount.

Calculate cost of repair when at some point you go sliding. Insurance for those under 25 can be as much with collision and comp as a car. Deductibles, medical bills and injuries, etc

In my case I sold my car and make pmts of $80 a month, and plan on paying off this year, but financial situations haven't allowed so far. Its cheaper by far than a VW GTI, but breaks even with a cheap beater car.

WOULD SAVE MOST MONEY if all conditions are meet

1. Bike paid off (most of you have that i guess)
2. Money set aside for bike repair to avoid having comp/collision on bike (if bike financed have to have full coverage)
3. never wreck and get medical injuries that cause loss of work, time off.
4. IF you sold your car and only ride and get injured, hope your insurance covers rental car while recovering!
5. All gear paid in full and not on credit card
6. remember replacement cost of gear if you go sliding! I have a SHoei RF-1000, and thts $400 bucks a pop!
6. Do most repairs and tire changers yourself.
7. Own tools to do the aforesaid.

More could be said, but basically you save money, but can lose in other instances. Saving money can't be the reason to ride.... it has to be the two wheels that move the soul. Its not safer, not more convient, not cheaper long term by much, but it is a heck lot more fun and you look good doing it( pose a bit for your coworkers )

Regardless if I save, I'd do it again, its the best thing I've done for myself besides get married!
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #25
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post

Bike - 2005 Ninja 250.
MPG - 67mpg (I get 200miles out of 3 gallons every time)
Insurance - $10 monthly
Oil change - $34

So using my bike for a month to get to work and back I spend
(2500/67) X $4 + $10 + $34 = $193.65

Difference here goes up to $500

Wow. I wish. I ride a 250, but I get around 50mpg. I must be a bit heavy on the throttle. I average 180-200 before I hit reserve. I stopped letting it hit reserve, because with earplugs I didn't catch it sevearl times before it went out... on FM 1960 in heavy traffic.... so I don't know the average before i hit reserve lately. I'm not about to try and figure out again!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #26
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
replacing tires every 5-6k, vs a car at say 30k, so you'll replace tires 5x on a bike for 1x on a car. so if you ride 18k a yr, you'll replace 3 sets of tires @> $200 set.

and most sportbikes tires only last 3-4k.

chain, every 15-20k
aww he beat me to it.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #27
Waerloga

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
Wow. I wish. I ride a 250, but I get around 50mpg. I must be a bit heavy on the throttle. I average 180-200 before I hit reserve. I stopped letting it hit reserve, because with earplugs I didn't catch it sevearl times before it went out... on FM 1960 in heavy traffic.... so I don't know the average before i hit reserve lately. I'm not about to try and figure out again!
Slow down. I am yet to hit reserve. I just go to the station when I hit 200 and put in 3 gallons.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #28
b18c1ej8
semi-n00b

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2001 CBR 600 F4I

i broke it down and its about 11 cents a mile for the bike and close to 20 cents per mile in car all aspects i could think of included, tires, oil, mpg, the fact i can put 83 octane in bike and have to put premium in car, i also dont buy the most BA tires i go for the more reasonable priced ones ( im gettin about 6K miles on a rear and 12+k on my fronts) didnt feel like typing all the formulas

cliffs:

20 cents per mile to drive car (+ about 650 for the car a year)
11 cents per mile to ride (+plus 125 a yr for insurance)

*edit damnit forgot insurance so 125 for a year on bike
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 10-6:30 Sat. 9-6
281 444 0545
patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com

Motorcycles Unlimited Sig1

Last edited by b18c1ej8; 06-03-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: insurance
b18c1ej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #29
Gumby
Enjoying The Greenery!

Bike(s):
Green 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Send a message via AIM to Gumby
You wanna save more money, do your own oil change. Only takes 5 minutes and is like 20 bucks.

THAT'S AN EXTRA $15.00 YOU SAVE! THAT'S A FULL TANK!!!!!!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #30
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
Slow down. I am yet to hit reserve. I just go to the station when I hit 200 and put in 3 gallons.
Why? I like hitting the throttle, the extra 0.25 cents it cost me a tank isn't too bad..... worth the fun...
Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #31
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
Right! I ride everyday and will continue to do so: HOWEVER PEOPLE:

When saying you save (which you do at the pump), I would beg to differ. I say you break even, or save a minute amount.

Calculate cost of repair when at some point you go sliding. Insurance for those under 25 can be as much with collision and comp as a car. Deductibles, medical bills and injuries, etc

In my case I sold my car and make pmts of $80 a month, and plan on paying off this year, but financial situations haven't allowed so far. Its cheaper by far than a VW GTI, but breaks even with a cheap beater car.

WOULD SAVE MOST MONEY if all conditions are meet

1. Bike paid off (most of you have that i guess)
2. Money set aside for bike repair to avoid having comp/collision on bike (if bike financed have to have full coverage)
3. never wreck and get medical injuries that cause loss of work, time off.
4. IF you sold your car and only ride and get injured, hope your insurance covers rental car while recovering!
5. All gear paid in full and not on credit card
6. remember replacement cost of gear if you go sliding! I have a SHoei RF-1000, and thts $400 bucks a pop!
6. Do most repairs and tire changers yourself.
7. Own tools to do the aforesaid.

More could be said, but basically you save money, but can lose in other instances. Saving money can't be the reason to ride.... it has to be the two wheels that move the soul. Its not safer, not more convient, not cheaper long term by much, but it is a heck lot more fun and you look good doing it( pose a bit for your coworkers )

Regardless if I save, I'd do it again, its the best thing I've done for myself besides get married!

Well, I guess I meet all 7 conditions. plus I am older than most on here and get great rates on insurance. $177 a year full cov. & comp and collision
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #32
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #33
Waerloga

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You wanna save more money, do your own oil change. Only takes 5 minutes and is like 20 bucks.

THAT'S AN EXTRA $15.00 YOU SAVE! THAT'S A FULL TANK!!!!!!!!

Yep. I only use the good stuff and dealer gaskets.

Castrol R4 X 2 - 22$
K&N filter - 8$
Drain plug gasket, oil screen gasket - $bulk
Old 06-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #34
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
lol at truck drivers........
Ha...now that you own your own home, you'll wish that you had a truck.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #35
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

dude i can fit so much carp in my mini-van.......lol

and the once in a while i need a truck i can rent from uhaul around the corner.

that get 20mpg
and the P5 gets 30+

neither require prem. and both have tires that last 30k+
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #36
1fastchevy
Bout Time

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):

Dude keep the car and Insurance, still save money and can go on a date or what about when its cold or raining ?
1fastchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #37
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

my wife handles all of the finances ... she know's when I've been riding the bike to work and when I've been driving ... she says it shows up pretty well in the gas bill.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #38
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

Club member A

Today I had a few minutes to kill, so I decided to see what kind of gas mileage I get out of my bike in the long run. And, since I was at it, I decided to also see if I am saving money in the long run by riding the bike instead of driving a car. To use Microsoft's acronyms, I tried to estimate the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership).

The executive summary is that the cost of maintenance is roughly equal to what I save in fuel. Of course, I spend less on car maintenance as a result, so there are some savings. If you are interested in the details, read on.

I've been riding it for almost a year, and it is interesting to average gas mileage over that period. In my accounting records I keep track of how much gas was put in at every fill up, mileage since the previous fill up and gas price (just so I can keep track of the historical gas prices, if I ever want to look that up).

I have 7233 miles / 111.457 gallons = 64.89 mpg. In the same time frame my Accord shows roughly 28 mpg. That's roughly 200 gallons saved over the course of 10 months (assuming that every trip I took on a bike I would've taken on a car instead, if I did not have a bike, which is not a bad assumption because almost all of the miles on the bike are just commuting). Gas prices seemed to hover around $3 over the past year, so that would be 200 * 3 = $600 in savings.

Since we are at it, let's do some more number-crunching. Insurance costs me $16/month. $16*10 months = $160. Tabs - $55. There were 4 oil/filter changes (80, 500, 3000, 6000 miles). Each is roughly $10. Can of chain lubricant is another $10 and a can of cable lube with a contraption to apply it was another $20, and I have plenty left. So, let's say I used $15 of that stuff. I have worn ~60-70% of the rear tire and have very little wear on the front. If we were to amortize that, let's say I've used $70 worth of rubber. I do my own maintenance, so there is no added cost there. (If you pay to have your maintenance done there is no way you will save any money in this scheme.) I will not include any “upgrades”, like lights in extra pods, bigger sprocket, rack, or hard top-case, as these are technically not consumables, and I could have done without them. For simplicity's sake, let's also assume that I will completely replace all of my gear in 5 years. That'd be roughly $100/year (and is a pretty conservative estimate). Tally up... 160+55+40+15+70+100=440. There's an unknown amount of chain wear, brake pads wear, other wear, fluids needing to be changed, etc. That should easily add up to $60 per year, making the total $500 if no repairs are needed

So, by riding a bike conservatively, servicing it myself and buying inexpensive gear I am saving roughly $100 per year. At best. Realistically, I probably would just break even - the savings in gas money would be completely offset by wear & tear and maintenance costs. In other words, riding the bike only saves me money I would've spent on car maintenance.

The result is: Yes, it will save you money, in the best possible scenario. In a more likely scenario, however, the bike will cost you more to own than not to. Also, a bike any more expensive than a 250 will cost you more money than you will save in any case.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I%27m_g...uying_an_EX250
Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #39
Waerloga

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coojo View Post
Club member A

Today I had a few minutes to kill, so I decided to see what kind of gas mileage I get out of my bike in the long run. And, since I was at it, I decided to also see if I am saving money in the long run by riding the bike instead of driving a car. To use Microsoft's acronyms, I tried to estimate the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership).

The executive summary is that the cost of maintenance is roughly equal to what I save in fuel. Of course, I spend less on car maintenance as a result, so there are some savings. If you are interested in the details, read on.

I've been riding it for almost a year, and it is interesting to average gas mileage over that period. In my accounting records I keep track of how much gas was put in at every fill up, mileage since the previous fill up and gas price (just so I can keep track of the historical gas prices, if I ever want to look that up).

I have 7233 miles / 111.457 gallons = 64.89 mpg. In the same time frame my Accord shows roughly 28 mpg. That's roughly 200 gallons saved over the course of 10 months (assuming that every trip I took on a bike I would've taken on a car instead, if I did not have a bike, which is not a bad assumption because almost all of the miles on the bike are just commuting). Gas prices seemed to hover around $3 over the past year, so that would be 200 * 3 = $600 in savings.

Since we are at it, let's do some more number-crunching. Insurance costs me $16/month. $16*10 months = $160. Tabs - $55. There were 4 oil/filter changes (80, 500, 3000, 6000 miles). Each is roughly $10. Can of chain lubricant is another $10 and a can of cable lube with a contraption to apply it was another $20, and I have plenty left. So, let's say I used $15 of that stuff. I have worn ~60-70% of the rear tire and have very little wear on the front. If we were to amortize that, let's say I've used $70 worth of rubber. I do my own maintenance, so there is no added cost there. (If you pay to have your maintenance done there is no way you will save any money in this scheme.) I will not include any “upgrades”, like lights in extra pods, bigger sprocket, rack, or hard top-case, as these are technically not consumables, and I could have done without them. For simplicity's sake, let's also assume that I will completely replace all of my gear in 5 years. That'd be roughly $100/year (and is a pretty conservative estimate). Tally up... 160+55+40+15+70+100=440. There's an unknown amount of chain wear, brake pads wear, other wear, fluids needing to be changed, etc. That should easily add up to $60 per year, making the total $500 if no repairs are needed

So, by riding a bike conservatively, servicing it myself and buying inexpensive gear I am saving roughly $100 per year. At best. Realistically, I probably would just break even - the savings in gas money would be completely offset by wear & tear and maintenance costs. In other words, riding the bike only saves me money I would've spent on car maintenance.

The result is: Yes, it will save you money, in the best possible scenario. In a more likely scenario, however, the bike will cost you more to own than not to. Also, a bike any more expensive than a 250 will cost you more money than you will save in any case.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I%27m_g...uying_an_EX250
This was before gas was $4 a gallon and did not take into account breakage on car or bike.

Even then he rode 7k miles in a year? thats less than 6 weeks for me. So at his $3 a gallon, he saves 100$ a year that would be 100$ a month for me in my commute.

Last edited by Waerloga; 06-03-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #40
Zrob25

Anyone tried to spend $200 at Krogers on a bike? I really like A/C to. I think I'll keep a car and ride when it's convenient.

It does make sence that a bike is cheaper short term. I think long term it's better to have a car.