MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 01:35 AM   #1
Detritus

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Not yet but looking at Honda Shadow Aero

just HOW bad of an idea is this...?

Please bear with me, i feel that some background is in order, so that my question(s) can be fully and adequately assessed

Ok, to be clear as to my own background re: bikes, my total time in hours astride a motorcycle could be counted on less than one hand, and every second of that was over a decade ago. I am clueless, an utter Noob, well you get the idea. but recently my wife popped up incouraging me, in light of current gas prices to look at the possibilites of motorcycles or maxi-scooters (the latter mostly for her) as daily drivers for the two of us. In the short time i have been looking into this, for myself i have mainly been looking at variants of the Honda Shadow 750 family(new Aero, Used ACE, and the like).

But as of the past two days somewhere i came across mention of the Ural, sidecar Motorcycles, went to the website and had a bit of a "oooooh, that looks neat" moment over the Gear Up, and Patrol models, esp the Gear Up. the concept of a motorcycle/road-legal atv with a cargo compartment intreigues me. plus i'm an unrepentant military history buff and the looks of the thing just kinda make me grin

for some of the same reasons (in built storage, look of a military heritage) the Royal enfield Bullet 500 "Military" has also cought my attention. an immeadiately identifiable even to me, downside to this one is that there seem to no longer be a dealer in the houston area for these.

here are the Obvious things that i personally have been able to come up with as cons for each of these

Ural:
unsure of what handling issues a heavy motorcycle+sidecar might have
Is Russian! (seriously how reliable are they and if it breaks down how expensive to fix/hard to find parts compared to a honda?)
It's around twice the price of the '08 Shadow Aero i looked at

Enfield:
Made in India, again unsure of quality/reliability and cost/availability of repair parts
it's smaller than the others i've been looking at, I'm 6' over 300lbs, and a few years back i sat down on one of these, i don't remember enough to really dissuade me but i DO have the feeling that it felt on the small side.

anyway there's my thoughts, anyone wanna take a rip at it??

seriously as the title says Just how bad of an idea are either or both of these??

thanks in advance for any info, advice you can give me.
Detritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If they at least don't like the idea, maybe this isn't such a bad idea myla296 Off Topic 5 06-23-2013 03:52 PM
Bad idea? newguy2k3 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 07-02-2012 07:12 PM
Does this sound like a bad Idea? Intermission General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 07-29-2009 09:59 PM
Good or bad idea? samv1368 General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-14-2008 10:13 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Actually if you go to Gulf coast BMW on college and 45 youll get the best info. They are dealers.
Those things are cool as . They had one there last time i went, but that was a while ago.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

there was an article on both of these in cycle world a few years back. look for it, that could be a big help. I want to say there were reliability issues on both bikes.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
SBN. We're coming for your wife and daughters.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
ZX14-Gezzer

Bike(s):
06 Kawsaki Ninja ZX14
03 Buell Firebolt
1970 Chang Jiang 750
1972 Honda CB360
1971 Suzuki Titan T-500

Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
The second bike with the sidecar is really a good looking bike.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
strat1701
dainese poster boy

Bike(s):
06 ZX6R

Also, know that a motorycle with a side car does NOT steer the same way a motorcycle does. There is no counter steer needed, you steer a trike or bike with a sidecar the same way you do a car. Turn wheel left, go left. If that was on a motorcycle, you'd turn right because of the countersteer. My mom likes those Ural and Enfields, she wants to get one but I told her to stay away from them. They might be ok for Bombay or Dehli, but not houston if you ask me. Far too many nutjobs on 4 wheels, you need a powerful bike that can get out of the way of them. These may be nimble, but they certainly don't have any "get the out of the way of something" speed.
strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
CMA.ZOMBIE

Bike(s):
'09 HD Ultra Classic (yes it's purple)
'69 HD Electra Glide (Pink Panther) Gone to someone who'll appreciate it.
'04 Honda Shadow 1100 (wife traded it for a street glide)

Hi guys - as someone who has actually riden a URAL w/sidecar (I helped the BMW guys clean up after the Bay Area Rally). Don't buy one! As I told the BMW USA guys after I rode it from Space Center Houston to the shop - "The best way to lose a sale on one of these is to let them ride it."

The URAL is slow, sluggish, and hard to ride, definately not something for a noob.

Go try on bikes at the stores for comfort and then you will get a metric cruiser or sport bike.

Best of luck - get out and ride!!!!

Ehesians 2:1-10
CMA.ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
Detritus

Bike(s):
Not yet but looking at Honda Shadow Aero

so in other words forget em both, buy a honda and add saddle bags?

figured as much, but you how it is, if you know very little it's sometimes helpful to hear others talk the sense you knew already.
Detritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Old 06-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02 View Post
Actually if you go to Gulf coast BMW on college and 45 youll get the best info. They are dealers.
Those things are cool as . They had one there last time i went, but that was a while ago.
they are neato, but parts are a and they dont haul to much, kinda a putt around hauler.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
tlrmike

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
2005 Honda CRF450R

We had a Ural at a shop I worked at, it was fun in the parking lot but most people that thried it said that they wouldn't want to ride it very far. I never got it over about 50 mph and turned around when I got to the Fred Hartman bridge.

Slower than I used to be, faster than I need to be!!!
tlrmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement