Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 07:05 AM   #21
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by themutt View Post
First post, hows it up?

Anyways, recent gas prices have me paying (even in my honda hatch) 200$ a month, just to get to and from work. I've always wanted a bike, but couldn't justify it. But I figure now with gas so high, riding a bike to and from work would pay for itself. I've decided on just getting a 250, and have a spot in a safety class in a few weeks. Now here's my question,

Am I going to die? I mean seriously, look at this site. It scares the out of me. RIP here and CRASH there. I consider myself a relatively capable, aware driver, but wow that's a lot of hurt people. I have a family and stuff now so I'm trying to weigh the "want factor" against the "not wanting to end up under a truck factor".

anyone want to chime in?
welcome to MH indeed.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why will they not DiE!!!!!! DNGRMOUSE Off Topic 46 12-04-2009 02:04 PM
How will you die? Helios Off Topic 51 06-21-2009 08:07 AM
Do you think you would die if.... Ramius Off Topic 38 03-23-2006 07:00 PM
DO IT OR DIE... rickykline General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-01-2006 04:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 AM   #22
Whorenet
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #23
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

sesh! $200 a month...lol I wish mine was that low. Before the price increases, I was over $400 a month plus tolls. I moved closer to work and then gas went up again almost double what it was. My truck takes $85 to fill up and my car takes $65 now. I filled the truck up 4 times last week alone. The car, not so much. I am getting 25mpg. The bikes don't really save much money and it is hot when sitting in traffic. On average, bikes get 35mpg but the full coverage insurance can cost as much if not more than the bike payment a month. I'd rather have my AC in this TX heat.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #24
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Quote:
First post, hows it up?

Anyways, recent gas prices have me paying (even in my honda hatch) 200$ a month, just to get to and from work. I've always wanted a bike, but couldn't justify it. But I figure now with gas so high, riding a bike to and from work would pay for itself. I've decided on just getting a 250, and have a spot in a safety class in a few weeks. Now here's my question,

Am I going to die? I mean seriously, look at this site. It scares the out of me. RIP here and CRASH there. I consider myself a relatively capable, aware driver, but wow that's a lot of hurt people. I have a family and stuff now so I'm trying to weigh the "want factor" against the "not wanting to end up under a truck factor".

anyone want to chime in?
$200 a month awesome, I,m paying $1000 a month in fuel cost just to get to work, I have a friend that drives his own 18 wheeler and he said it costs $1400 to fill up, every 2 days, now that sux big time
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #25
SPYDER BITE
Can-Am has arrived

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Can-Am Spyder 990

Quote:
First post, hows it up?

anyone want to chime in?
#1 gas prices do suck, and the ninja 250 I have gets 65 - 70 mpg so that is a great choice.

#2 with this being a primaraly motorcycle forum with close to 4000 members it is a concentrated outlet for the RIP caption. I have grown to be used to seeing that in threads. Take it as educational if you will, because if only one person can learn from someone elses mishap then we are ahead of the game.

#3 We drive 100 miles round trip to work 5 - 6 days a week and we spend close to a grand a month on gas, so it could be worse and I would be happy to trade gas bills with ya any day.

#4 There does not seem to be any relief in sight as far as gas prices go so bite the bullet and go get yourself a bike......and be careful.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #26
Fuzzy018

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

advanced RIP.

Just Kidding.

Take it easy in the beginning and slowly build up your confidence and skills.
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #27
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Old 06-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #28
maxgs

Member Garage

I learned to ride on dirt and the roads of Colorado. Wide open spaces, lots of motorcycles, and reasonable car speeds in the mountains. In contrast, it seems the roads in Houston just aren't a great place to learn to ride. Much higher traffic volumes, lower ratios of motorcycles, and high speeds. People are in such a rush to get where they are going and then there is the distraction of cellular phones.

I think Houston is a terrible place for a noob to learn to ride. I'd expect the fatality rate for new motorcycles riders to be dramatically higher than smaller cities.

So, inexperienced riders wanting to buy a bike to save on gas money is a bad idea.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #29
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
First post, hows it up?

anyone want to chime in?

Yea, I'll chime in. I got a nice chuckle out of your post. Totally sincere and it made me laugh. And you made some good points I ride a bike like a madman most of the time and all the rip threads get me thinking and depressed. I am not as concerned about dying because I know the the Lord but I don't want to leave my family either.

I think riding a bike to work is alot more dangerous than being a weekend rider. Because you let your guard down because it becomes a daily grind plus your hours go up on the bike and you are riding along side commuter(putting on their makeup reading the paper etc. You can't ever let your guard down way too many idiots in cagers not paying attention.

Take the riders course, read alot and pretend every cage is trying to kill you like a video game and you might just be ok. But if you do die please don't post a rip thread they are depressing.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #30
SiG239

Feedback Rating: (7)

Welcome

I shared similar thoughts at first when thinking about getting a bike and just recently bought my first motorcycle. I can tell you that it is of course more dangerous and you have to pay attention alot more, however a good head on your shoulders and full gear will go a long way. Just after a week of riding I can see how people kill themselves by getting to confident and laying into the throttle on city roads, however if you choose not to do this and ride defensively and keep around the speed limit your chances of a wreck go down significantly. However seeing the RIP threads always makes me think negative for my own safety also.

Last edited by SiG239; 06-03-2008 at 09:44 AM.
SiG239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #31
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I think riding a bike to work is alot more dangerous than being a weekend rider. Because you let your guard down because it becomes a daily grind plus your hours go up on the bike and you are riding along side commuter(putting on their makeup reading the paper etc. You can't ever let your guard down way too many idiots in cagers not paying attention.
I guess that depends on where you commute too...
I used to have to commute to the Galleria area. I took the HOV lane down to I-10 then the rest of my short stint was a daily war to stay alive.

Then we moved our offices to 290 and the Beltway. Not one close call in 3yrs. To where I was having multiple close calls a day in the Galleria area and I am not a new rider with 20+ street years under my belt.

It was so bad that I parked the bikes for a looong time until our office moved and I moved the F*** out of Houston.
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #32
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
Nobody promised you a tomorrow.

Just take the MSF BRC and be smart.
Very well put.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #33
hectikillusions
your noob b**ch

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
in process.....

Send a message via Yahoo to hectikillusions
forget-bout-it if its your time to go, its time to go. I had a friend into stupid crazy stunts(base jumpin and what not) but he left us all cuz he choked on a piece of carrot while he was havin dinner. have fun and make the best of life
hectikillusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #34
Angamico
Range Target

Bike(s):
YZF600R
TigerEX1200

Statistically, you are about 30 times more likely to be fatally injured riding a motorcycle when compared to driving a car. So it is a higher risk means of transportation. Like others said, take the BRC, get your head around that higher risk and what you can do about it. Some major things that will help you:
  • Wear a DOT/SNELL approved helmet and protective gear,
  • Do not ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs,
  • Get proper training on operating a motorcycle (the BRC).

You've come to a good place to find out more information. Go to a local meet and greet and see what others have to say. Awesome Cycles has an intro. to motorcycling class that covers risk awareness. You can also read about it. Check out Proficient Motorcycling by David Hugh.
Angamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #35
proxim2020
The First Stig

Bike(s):
2001 Honda F4i

I agree with GixerBill that the commutes are hard. At the end of the day you're tired and you have to contend with white knuckled drivers who are just as tired as you with cell phones. If you're attentive, you can anticipate almost anything before it happens and avoid it. Unlike cages, you'll have an almost 360 unobstructed view of the road/traffic. You can hear and even smell trouble around you. Just pay attention to what's going on and you'll be ok.
proxim2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #36
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

She said, "Every living creature on earth dies alone."

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #37
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Don't forget you can use the HOV on a bike as well, as opposed to a single person in a car.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #38
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
First post, hows it up?

anyone want to chime in?
I've got a couple good threads with people chiming in on ninja 250's ... do a search, there's a couple funny ones!
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #39
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
sesh! $200 a month...lol I wish mine was that low. Before the price increases, I was over $400 a month plus tolls. I moved closer to work and then gas went up again almost double what it was. My truck takes $85 to fill up and my car takes $65 now. I filled the truck up 4 times last week alone. The car, not so much. I am getting 25mpg. The bikes don't really save much money and it is hot when sitting in traffic. On average, bikes get 35mpg but the full coverage insurance can cost as much if not more than the bike payment a month. I'd rather have my AC in this TX heat.
Its hot... but its survivable.

I do it daily and I don't get high speeds.... but it is a bit bad. I'm trying out this week the Troy Lee Designs Leather speed jacket w/jersey as alternative to mesh.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #40
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):

User is banned

Advertisement