MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Htownz

Member Garage

Dangerous Intersections/Areas

Been looking at some of the statistics and recent rider deaths inside intersections. I always expect the worse when passing through, and when riding around for a bit this last Sunday, it seemed like there are some that are always more prone for some jacka$$es to pull out/turn left in front of you since you see repeated behavior around the same places you're familiar with.

What exceptional spots would you say around your area require extra attention/concentration for a sec or two and why? Of course no intersection should be undermined, but any ones that stand out to you when riding around should add some value if it's pointed out. Here's a start to a list.

SE/Clear Lake
  • Bay Area Blvd @ Park Shadows
    • Long Stretch From Red Bluff
    • Intersects in the middle of a nice curve
    • Lots of trees the car coming onto Bay Area can't see around
  • Bay Area Blvd @ Moonrock
    • People Trying to take a back route onto Space Center around Sonic
    • Big median/Many Cars inch around each other/People feel they can race to the center easily
    • Clear Lake High School Students park all along Moonrock
  • Space Center @ Krogers exit going toward Clear Lake City Blvd.
    • Long, Long Stretch From Pasadena, right after a nice curve
    • People messing with thier receipts/kids/can't see into the curve
  • Clear Lake City Blvd @ Bay Oaks Blvd
    • Cannot see around bridge/thick shrubs and trees in median
    • People always flying down that road
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where do you consider the most dangerous areas in Houston for riding? ecclissiass General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 05-23-2012 03:49 PM
what I have been doing to be more visable approching intersections urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 10-08-2010 12:00 AM
Panhandlers at intersections and the law ScooterTrash Off Topic 39 09-20-2010 01:08 PM
Map of the Forest and Surrounding Areas maxgs Events, Meets and Rides 24 08-24-2008 08:02 PM
Intersections and music Mr.Fade General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 09-20-2007 09:56 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Everywhere...it isn't just one place. You should keep your guard up at all times.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Htownz

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
Everywhere...it isn't just one place. You should keep your guard up at all times.
That's true. I find these to be ones that I find exceptional. It's really just for prevention.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Rankin Rd, east of I-45.. in particular in front of St. James & approx 100 yards before you get to the RR tracks. I figure at least 1 accident per month between those two spots.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
I concur ... noe one area should be treated with more caution than any other... Always ride aware and cautious
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
Pat

Bike(s):
2006 FZ6

Downtown:
Smith as it merges on to 59 South.
The left lane is left turn only rather than merging on to 59 South. The right two lanes actually merge on to 59 South.

Always be prepared to stop.
Far too many of the "wonderful drivers" in Houston think that left-turn-only means, "race down the left lane and force a merge back into the onramp lane". That in turns, slows all of lanes. Always be on guard for those wanting to come from that left turn lane into the right (middle) lane. Always be especially aware of the quick/emergency stops that have to be taken as people try not to kill these "wonderful drivers".
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

I got off 362 and there was a 2X4 in the road. You could barley see it, it blended in pretty dam good. I stopped the truck and turned around and picked it up and threw it in the ditch, if a bike would have been comming thru, he would have had a of a time if he tried to swerve or brake. This exact same thing happened to a board member and he got killed.

+1 - last Thursday evening there was a 2x6x8 laying in the road by the RR underpass on HW 35 bypass in Alvin.

Friggin' debris is everywhere due to unsecured loads.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
Htownz

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
I got off 362 and there was a 2X4 in the road. You could barley see it, it blended in pretty dam good. I stopped the truck and turned around and picked it up and threw it in the ditch, if a bike would have been comming thru, he would have had a of a time if he tried to swerve or brake. This exact same thing happened to a board member and he got killed.

+1 - last Thursday evening there was a 2x6x8 laying in the road by the RR underpass on HW 35 bypass in Alvin.

Friggin' debris is everywhere due to unsecured loads.
That thought makes me chill somewhat when I start weaving through traffic, starting to not care when you get into that zone. Thinking about how you really don't know what's laying on the ground around the car in front makes me calm down.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

45 and eldorado area.... the whole place it nuts.

Advertisement