MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Spies show 'em all (AMA SB and SS spoilers)

I don't care what your opinion is about how we already know who is going to win the race, or "it's just a Suzuki track day" in the AMA Superbike. Elbowz absolutely killed this weekend!

I loved the way Hacker thought he was catching Spies, and even said that "if we had 5 or 6 more laps, I could have caught him", yeah, right.

I think Ben showed him the truth in race two when Hacking closed the gap to like 3 seconds, and Spies just check out on him, gapping to like 8 seconds- 10 by the end of the race I believe.

It was cool to see the Corona team beat up on the factory boys. Honda just can't seem to get that superbike class put together for the past few years. Suzuki has clearly done a much better job of R&D, and I don't see any of the other brands catching up any time soon. Although, the "new rules" may change that...

I jumped out of my seat during the Supersport race when Blake Young ran out of gas!!!! That dude was running an incredible race! It broke my heart, can you imagine the feeling he got when his team mate and others (who were so far back) came by to pass him before he could limp over the line???
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motoamerica SB/SS 1000cc race at Laguna seca 2 fatal r6racer Racing News 1 07-20-2015 07:54 AM
AMA SB vs WSB Factory Domination??? hypertrophyy Taking it to the Track 32 08-15-2007 08:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I jumped out of my seat during the Supersport race when Blake Young ran out of gas!!!! That dude was running an incredible race! It broke my heart, can you imagine the feeling he got when his team mate and others (who were so far back) came by to pass him before he could limp over the line???
i COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! Maybe a couple more ounces of gas and he woulda placed on the boxes...live and learn
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

In Superbike race 1, Hacking was only like 1.6 seconds back at the line. Spies said they chose the wrong tire & that was all he had at the end. If hacking would not have ran off, he would have ran away with that one. Oh well woulda shoulda coulda. Race 2 EVERYONE was on the same tire that Hacking was on Saturday. Hacking wasn't going to beat Ben, but noone is at this point.

AMA in it's current state is still a bore, mainly superbike. It is not the machine as much as it is the rider though. The bike is VERY good, but I bet if you took a top 5 rider and put him on that bike, he might finsh one or two spots further up. He wouldn't magically run away with it, like Ben.

My only complaint with the proposed 2009 rules and class structure, is that all of the classes are essentially superstock classes. I mean STOCK, and I can't see the 600's being the main event.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
i COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! Maybe a couple more ounces of gas and he woulda placed on the boxes...live and learn
Heck, Hayes ran out of gas on the cool down lap.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
My only complaint with the proposed 2009 rules and class structure, is that all of the classes are essentially superstock classes. I mean STOCK, and I can't see the 600's being the main event.

John
I realize that the new team of AMA owners/ developers are not dolts with no experience with motorcycles, but man, I think there is already a more amenable model out there in WSBK that they could follow, rather than re-inventing the wheel so to speak.

I agree about Superbike. Man, there sure is some good racing in FX and SS!

I do agree with Edmunds about the liter bikes- his theory about it being "too much" in essence. But the liter bikes are what "real" motorcycle racing is all about- really brave men, trying to control the uncontrollable. The problem I have with it is that with launch control, wheelie control, traction control, etc, the talent only lies with the guys who have the money to own that stuff, and further, a rider who is able to acclimate himself to those controls.

I don't want to see people get hurt, but all of these controls are taking the pure riders out of the sport.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
logan5

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Supersport was way more exciting to watch ... man Blake ran an awesome race ... I really did feel for him
Old 06-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I realize that the new team of AMA owners/ developers are not dolts with no experience with motorcycles, but man, I think there is already a more amenable model out there in WSBK that they could follow, rather than re-inventing the wheel so to speak.

I agree about Superbike. Man, there sure is some good racing in FX and SS!

I do agree with Edmunds about the liter bikes- his theory about it being "too much" in essence. But the liter bikes are what "real" motorcycle racing is all about- really brave men, trying to control the uncontrollable. The problem I have with it is that with launch control, wheelie control, traction control, etc, the talent only lies with the guys who have the money to own that stuff, and further, a rider who is able to acclimate himself to those controls.

I don't want to see people get hurt, but all of these controls are taking the pure riders out of the sport.
I see your point on the electronics, but why not make the 600's a STOCK class. No factory envolment, make the bikes more affordable, and the purses more appealing. The 1000's should be superbikes, high dollar machines. Factory supported and backed by factory contingencies. This would be a great place for factories to highlight there big machines.

IMHO, they should run a starter class. 450 supermono or 250gp series. Something so we can watch some of the youngins race. The MotoST should remain separate from the AMA. It is a different kind of racing altogether.

John
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
IMHO, they should run a starter class. 450 supermono or 250gp series. Something so we can watch some of the youngins race. The MotoST should remain separate from the AMA. It is a different kind of racing altogether.

John
I agree with you here. I would also add that Red Bull Series to that list (as I hear they are going to do).

Regarding the liter bikes, I wouldn't be sad to see them go completely- from the showroom or the race track. I am and always have been a big fan of the 750 class when it was the "premier" class. I'd love to see that come back.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
MANSON6

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2005 636

I kinda like Tom's idea of the sport, Yes i like Spies but Hacking is my boy, I'm a kawi guy myself but to each his own on who wins. But like he said all the technology on these bikes today really takes the rider out of the eqazion, If there wasn't traction control,Launch control how much closer would the races be in the end. It would be less check outs on some riders parts, And would be a big huge pile of bikes like in Nascar. But only the big names really have the advantage with endless money from the sponsors. I mean come on the money is great to these guys because they do earn it, But it leaves the smaller no name guys with just bits and peices that they rumage up in there garages just to make races. And they are the ones really fighting to win or even compete with these big money teams.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

man howabout Checa? I was shocked to see Bayliss go out when he did. That was the only race I could catch though...
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
man howabout Checa? I was shocked to see Bayliss go out when he did. That was the only race I could catch though...
Wait 'till race 2. You'll love that one!

Regarding Maladin, I'm wondering, based on his comments about Edmund's new plan for next year, if he wasn't sand bagging on race 2? He sure was overtaken easily, and it was really, really weird to see that.

I know what he was saying after the race and that he didn't have the setup and couldn't get the bike turned, but when the has that EVER happened to Maladin? Even when he didn't have a great setup, he still dominated. I understand that everyone has a bad day or two, but man, there was something up with that. I think he tossed it and sandbagged at least race 2- race 1 I think he was going to sandbag until he tossed the bike.

Conspiracy theory, but I wouldn't put it past him.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
MANSON6

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2005 636

He's probably tired of Spies handing him his at every race, And blamed it on setup.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
TWISTED METAL
Banned

Bike(s):
CBR 1000 AND GSXR 750 TRACK BIKE

User is banned

TWISTED METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

Spies should do fine not being the fast guy. It was just a few years ago that he wasnt the fast guy. He worked his way up to be the fast guy in the AMA and Im sure the same skills/talents/traits will be used to advance in the other series.
-Gabe
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Spies should do fine not being the fast guy. It was just a few years ago that he wasnt the fast guy. He worked his way up to be the fast guy in the AMA and Im sure the same skills/talents/traits will be used to advance in the other series.
-Gabe
+1, besides, I think if he moved to WSBK he would still be "the fast guy". Maybe not any check out moves to be had in that series, but I think he could definitely be top 5 at any given race. With a good support system, seeing how The Mighty Zook is doing better in MotoGP, he could probably be top 10 I think in that series pretty consistently if not better.

But like Fast Freddie was saying yesterday, Hayden is has a hard time with the bikes being so small, and Honda trying to make it more ergonomically sensible for him; Spies is taller than Hayden, and I'd bet he would have the same if not worse issues.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #16
TWISTED METAL
Banned

Bike(s):
CBR 1000 AND GSXR 750 TRACK BIKE

User is banned

TWISTED METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTED METAL View Post

it'll be interesting to see how he does when he actually has to race....

like when he was at fontana.....him and mladin was some good shhit....
I hear you there- don't forget his "mature" strategy at Daytona and then last year at Laguna too!

I think he's old enough and certainly knows how to be a champion now, I believe he'll really shine when he sees some competition that's more than just one rider.

Hopefully, we'll get our chance to see next year. If not, I wouldn't mind seeing CEII and Nicky Hayden come back to AMA next year, that should provide some excellent racing with Maladin, Hayden, Edwards, and Spies!