MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
strat1701
dainese poster boy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 ZX6R

small dirtbikes to practice on?

couple of quick questions. First off, lemme say that I've never ridden an off road dirtbike in my life, only street. I know the popularity of small cylinder 50-75cc mini dirtbikes that many people have. I'm wondering, is it ok to get one of these small bikes, even a used one, to practice things like throttle control, lean angle, wheelies, body position and even knee dragging on these bikes? Since they are off road classified, where could you get away with practicing this at? Obviously you can't practice street techniques on dirt, but what about in a parking lot or something?

I am not a noob rider, been riding on the streets for 4.5yrs but I have a hard time pushing myself with my ninja because I don't want to wreck it. My main thing I need to work on is faster corner speed and lean angle and getting on the throttle while leaned over. Yes I know a 50cc dirtbike cannot lean as much over as my street bike, but you sure as can practice your throttle control on it. Also, getting used to the sound your knee puck makes when it does hit is something I want to know because when I'm able to do it on my streetike (on a track of course, I don't ride hard on street back roads) I don't want to go "oh , that was my kneepuck hitting" and it distracting me or causing me to jump when I feel it and binning my bike. Used 50cc dirt bike, practing hanging off, lean, etc.. pick it up dust it off and get back on it. Rather bin it testing than my streetbike in a similar situation.

So, anyone think it's ok to practice on these small bikes? If so, are school parking lots good place to do it at? Granted cops will probably run you off anyway, but shoot at least youre off the main roads! Good idea or bad, and I should just shut up and "practice" on my streetbike on the track? Ive done 2 trackdays in my lifetime so far btw...Thanks.
strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School me about dirtbikes less_than_coop Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 35 08-18-2015 12:03 AM
New to dirtbikes OMEGA Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 6 01-28-2014 10:22 PM
Dirtbikes? specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 05-01-2009 10:56 AM
Kids and Dirtbikes Meaner-n-u Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 15 09-15-2007 02:52 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

I'm surprised more people have not chimed in, but you may want to check out TMGP. I've spoken with a few instructors at the track days I've been to and they state what you learn on a small bike carries over to the bigger bikes.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rnz450

tear up a parking lot near u.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
strat1701
dainese poster boy

Bike(s):
06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Canuck View Post
I'm surprised more people have not chimed in, but you may want to check out TMGP. I've spoken with a few instructors at the track days I've been to and they state what you learn on a small bike carries over to the bigger bikes.
TMGP? Texas MotoGP! My instructor at Tx track days lead one session on a little 50, he was haulin around the track.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat1701 View Post
TMGP? Texas MotoGP!
Texas MINI GP, but close.

How ya doin?
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

TMGP will teach you a whole lot about a bike. You will learn how to slide both wheels through corners like it's nothing. You'll learn panic braking in corners. You'll learn how to crash!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
strat1701
dainese poster boy

Bike(s):
06 ZX6R

Sound fun. Honda NSF100 looks cool but I don't want to spend that much, figured I could get something used for about 1000 bucks I'd guess? That sound about right?

What's up squeaky!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
strat1701
dainese poster boy

Bike(s):
06 ZX6R

what about a pocketbike? or better than the small dirtbike idea?

http://www.usa-pocket-bikes.com/r32/
Old 05-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

you can lean the small bikes over just as far... i can very easily drag the footpegs and even the rear stunt pegs..
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Pocket bikes aren't going to teach you anything but how to crash. Stick with something bigger. Like a YSR, NSR, or a KX Motard style baby.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
Pocket bikes aren't going to teach you anything but how to crash. Stick with something bigger. Like a YSR, NSR, or a KX Motard style baby.

BTW Nice to meet you at GSS monday. Nice flipping truck

Advertisement