MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #21
KiNG $h!T
Fugkwhacha heard!!!!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
MIA!!!

Send a message via AIM to KiNG $h!T
she must of seen joeys tribal.
KiNG $h!T is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
girl bike fail!!!!! DanteLee Off Topic 17 07-16-2011 04:25 PM
TT 2011 On-bike - John McGuinness - Wednesday Practice switch Taking it to the Track 3 06-06-2011 10:11 AM
so my girl wants a bike now...... Vicious Vic General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 05-18-2010 11:47 AM
Little Girl Drops Bike Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 07-29-2008 12:30 PM
girl or bike?? TWISTED METAL Off Topic 28 04-21-2006 05:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #22
nels

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
01 Silver/Black F4i-SOLD =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETE
yea that would make more sense because if she really has her mind set on the rr, give her urs and u get the new one, she doesnt want a brand new bike to start off on in case she drops it. and as far as msf, im already all legal and got my license, but im always down to go to msf to learn new stuff, just aint got no homies to go to class with and im sure as aint gonna be stuck in a classroom with racer x and a wole bunch of guys i dont kno
:laughing6 :laughing6
nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #23
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Ed is a big teddy bear. Go take his class. He likes hugs too.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #24
KiNG $h!T
Fugkwhacha heard!!!!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
MIA!!!

Send a message via AIM to KiNG $h!T
^^^ahaha
KiNG $h!T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:54 PM   #25
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETE
just aint got no homies to go to class with and im sure as aint gonna be stuck in a classroom with racer x and a wole bunch of guys i dont kno
well just think, if you take the class w/ unknown peeps, if you fail you still save face......vs failing in ft of your homies........

:laughing6

for the orig poster

Quote:
Why buy a smaller, used bike first and then work your way up to the larger and/or more powerful bike?
This question seems to get debated ad-nauseum on internet discussion sites so I thought I'd put together my thoughts about it... take it or leave it, this advice is genuinely offered if you are in the position of starting motorcycling.

Many people view Harleys and other cruisers as proper bikes. Big 1000cc 1200cc bikes - "men's bikes"!! Or maybe the fastest bike ever, a Hayabusa 1300cc rocketship - woah, now that's a "real bike". So, a 600cc "crotch rocket" would be half the size and therefore a kid's bike - ideal for a learner obviously... Wrong - don't even go there. The big four manufacturers fight over that lucrative market like hungry hyenas, making beautiful shiny (virtually) race ready sportbikes that few new riders can resist.

So they innocently ask "which is the best 600cc bike to learn on?".

Comparing 600cc sportbikes as starter bikes is daft. They all have twice the power and a much much higher top speed than a cruiser. Some may be tamer than others but the basic premise of a middleweight sportbike is all wrong for learning motorcycle skills. The ergonomics are out and out dangerous for a newbie on the street ( reaching for clip ons, rear-set pegs, craning neck up in traffic, restricted turning circle etc etc..) and the power's too much. It's better to focus on a smaller displacement 'standard' bike. They are set up for more compliant handling and ride and they are more comfortable, an important point while you're learning.

Take the pressure off - get a starter bike to start on.

Accidents happen mostly between 6th month and 3rd year of riding so learn on something you won't be so upset about when you drop it.

A less powerful bike will not punish you so badly for jerking the throttle like a newbie.

Smaller and lighter bikes are easier to handle. There's a lot to think about until you're comfortable about turning, stopping, gearchanging acceleration.

The value of a smaller bike, eg a 250, is learning to get the performance out of them - it really teaches you to ride to the bike's and your own potential. A 250, 350, 400 might seem small to you at first, but think of it as a step in the journey, learn to wring it's neck and be a better rider in the long run.

Regardless of power and speed, it's a good idea for new riders to geta bike that allows both feet to be placed flat on the ground. This tends to inspire confidence and will eliminate a lot of concern about dropping the bike. Undeniably, the slow parking lot type manoevers are the trickiest for a new rider, and being able to put your feet down really helps.

Smaller bikes are also usually lighter - weight can be a big deal in gaining confidence on the first bike.

Starting on a faster bike makes learning proper brake technique harder. Most new riders cannot judge how to use brakes effectively, intuition tells us that using the front brake will "flip" the bike or make the tire slide out. It's common for new riders to thus make the mistake of depending on the rear brake and the faster you are going the deadlier it can be.

Insurance rates are much higher for the larger more powerful bikes.

What if you don't like riding? Used bikes don't depreciate as quickly as new bikes so you'll lose out less when you sell it.

If you buy a cheaper bike, you'll be able to afford better quality protective gear: Minumum should be full face helmet, Leather jacket, gloves, boots and leather pants (yes - leather pants: studies show the majority of injuries to bikers are lower body injuries). Also, wear all your gear every time you ride, even if it's just a mile or two down to the shops.

Here's a selfish reason: I've been riding for many years and I don't want newbies who are out of their depth tarnishing the image of sportbike riders - yes other more experienced and immature riders do plenty of that too but law enforcement can spot a newbie on a sportbike just as easily as you or I can.

The desire for a larger bike is sometimes (often) a result of peer pressure. How you deal with what others think of you is your problem but if you decide on the sportbike because you want to fit in or because your buddies said so, then you need to think really seriously about that.

Most expert riders recommend learning on a smaller bike as the safer route.

If you ask an experienced rider's opinion, find out from them: how experienced they are, exactly what they started on and what kind of riding they do. Me, I've ridden streetbikes for 28 years and half that time on sportbikes. I started on a Yamaha RD250 two-stroke.

The salesman at the bike showroom should NEVER be considered an experienced or expert rider in this matter. Whatever he says, take it with a pinch of salt, especially if it would seem to be helping him with a sale.

Newbies on powerful sportbikes look a LOT funnier wobbling round turns than newbies on smaller bikes.

Some people claim proudly ...I survived as a litre bike newbie... having got a big bad sportbike as their first bike and six months later, they're still around to talk about it. That's great but they were/are beating the odds and playing a high stakes game - the stake they are risking is their health or even their life. It's not really that wonderful. The other thing is, it's usually quite easy to spot the ones who started on bigger bikes - uncomfortable looking on the bike, less fluid on twisty roads, more focused on straightline speed than form, and quite embarrassing to watch at less than 5mph speeds.

This is not from my own experience, but many riders have said that motorcyclists who learn first on dirtbikes end up as better riders when they transition to streetbikes. This I think is a lot to do with throttle control, balance and learning far more about the limits of tire traction. So consider going that route first. MSF now runs Dirt Bike Schools for beginners.

A used bike will teach you about motorcycle maintainance, something every rider should at least know the basics of. It's less likely you'll want to get your hands dirty on a newer or more high-tech model.

Whichever bike you have decided on, try doing the basic Motorcycle Safety Foundation training course course BEFORE you commit to a bike. The MSF lend you a small displacement bike to start on and the time you spend riding that may help you with your decision. If you're outside the USA, take a look at these training links and see if you can find a local class.
Please also refer to the following websites for more information on which bikes to consider:-
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #26
PETE
CLUTCH

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Don't have one =(

Send a message via AIM to PETE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
well just think, if you take the class w/ unknown peeps, if you fail you still save face......vs failing in ft of your homies........

:laughing6

for the orig poster
good point there! :notworthy

but i really just want to take the course just to learn the stuff I don't know and learn all the handy tips, so its for my benefits, i can care less if i fail or not :notworthy because im already legal

but yea u might get a call from me one day when i decide to sign up!
PETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #27
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
the more you put it off (taking the class), the less likely you are to take it, and yet the chances don't get less for a crash........

human nature
I took the course before i got my bike and so will she

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #28
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!

yo pete, take the class with me homes :-)
i got my chick takin it too... but that's just cuz she wants to hang with me while i'm on vacation... lol

i'm takin it at san jac on the 11, 12, and 13 of november
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:34 PM   #29
PETE
CLUTCH

Bike(s):
Don't have one =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuknrobert
yo pete, take the class with me homes :-)
i got my chick takin it too... but that's just cuz she wants to hang with me while i'm on vacation... lol

i'm takin it at san jac on the 11, 12, and 13 of november
i might do dat, not sure tho, i shall let u know
Old 10-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #30
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Bike(s):

cool :-D
Old 10-17-2005, 02:42 PM   #31
PETE
CLUTCH

Bike(s):
Don't have one =(

fuknrobert, u own a bike yet? i dont think ive met you yet? just curious what ya ride
Old 10-17-2005, 02:48 PM   #32
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Bike(s):

naw i dont
i'm buyin 2 bikes when i get home in nov :-)
Old 10-17-2005, 02:49 PM   #33
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Bike(s):

i'll come out to whatever the event is so i can say wazzup
wouldn't mind meetin u fellas

i'm on here enough.... lol
Old 10-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #34
PETE
CLUTCH

Bike(s):
Don't have one =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuknrobert
i'll come out to whatever the event is so i can say wazzup
wouldn't mind meetin u fellas

i'm on here enough.... lol
cool cool
Old 10-17-2005, 03:02 PM   #35
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

jesse are you going to buy the bike or is she? if she is let her buy the 600RR. if you are, start her off on something smaller CC and not as heavy.

just remember the many times you almost went down/or have and know she will be in the same situation on the 600rr. do you want her to go through that?

most of the time people get bikes cuz they are the cool thing to do but after a while they get tired of playing with their new toy.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:07 PM   #36
Cherub
FTP

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Yeah i know what you mean man. Trust me i told her to get a 250. Ive been riding long enough to know the risks(no where near a pro). Well we still have time till she gets one so ill keep you updated and keep the info coming. alot of times it help hearing from people that you dont know.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #37
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub
Yeah i know what you mean man. Trust me i told her to get a 250. Ive been riding long enough to know the risks(no where near a pro). Well we still have time till she gets one so ill keep you updated and keep the info coming. alot of times it help hearing from people that you dont know.
drag it out. take the MSF with her and just drag it along by collecting gear online, etc.

by the winter time most 600cc bikes will be sold out at new dealerships so she will have to buy used and maybe a smaller CC.

drag it out until the "cool" factor minimizes
Old 10-17-2005, 03:23 PM   #38
Marian600rr

Bike(s):
'03 600rr, '04 yz250f, '04 crf80

Send a message via AIM to Marian600rr
My first bike is the one I have now, a 600rr. I would have regretted buying a 250 or 500 b/c I would have been ready for a bigger one in lets say 3 weeks... Thats just me, I started out on the 600rr and am happy with my choice.
Marian600rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:23 PM   #39
Cherub
FTP

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

exactly..........................but shusssssssssssssssssssssh she lurks on here.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2005, 03:34 PM   #40
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian600rr
My first bike is the one I have now, a 600rr. I would have regretted buying a 250 or 500 b/c I would have been ready for a bigger one in lets say 3 weeks... Thats just me, I started out on the 600rr and am happy with my choice.
and you've ridden how many miles? plan to ever to a trackday?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement