Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #81
Jerran V

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

I find that even though I have a slipper clutch, I still get a little hop or chatter(much less than with no slipper clutch) unless I blip the throttle. Only under hard braking though.

*not "coaching" anyone...just sharing my opinion...on a forum...something designed to share opinions...alike or differing...
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slow bikes fast...or fast bikes slow...Fun? lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 02-21-2013 09:04 AM
too slow pester Off Topic 8 06-22-2010 01:35 PM
I'm slow Redux General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 11-12-2008 01:28 AM
No wonder I'm so slow.... Steve O Chap Taking it to the Track 19 09-04-2005 09:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #82
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
No, I understand your point, he doesn't work for LSTD, so I'm not trying to pimp him out as one of our instructors, I was trying to make a point to you that you have to ignore the "Jody-isms" of his internet persona.

I understood your points well.
WTF You ain't my pimp!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #83
GsxrStar
drama patrol

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 750

Send a message via AIM to GsxrStar
Quote:
Here is a youtube of me riding an RC51 at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Not a fast pace (it was someone else's bike!), but you can hear me "blip" the throttle on a bunch of the down shifts to match the RPM and limit wheel hop in to the corner:

*disclaimer, I don't pretend to be perfect at this stuff, so take it with a grain of salt. Point is to hear the "blip" while down shifting, nothing else.
yeah thanks for that video! great now i got something new to learn now
Old 05-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #84
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Jerran, most slipper clutches are adjustable. I don't know about the stock Suzuki slipper (I didn't know the '06 came with one), but it sounds like it's either adjusted too tightly or maybe the stocker doesn't slip as much as an aftermarket? :shrugs:

I've ridden an '05 750 with a slipper, and our endurance bike has a slipper (SV), I'm able to grab 2-3 downshifts with either of them and dump the clutch lever with no ill affects.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #85
GsxrStar
drama patrol

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 750

Send a message via AIM to GsxrStar
those slippers are high price huh?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #86
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Jerran, most slipper clutches are adjustable. I don't know about the stock Suzuki slipper (I didn't know the '06 came with one), but it sounds like it's either adjusted too tightly or maybe the stocker doesn't slip as much as an aftermarket? :shrugs:

My 06 750 did and the slipper was way tight. It slid out on 3090 more times than I care to remember.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #87
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrStar View Post
those slippers are high price huh?
Usually about $750+ clutch plates (fibers and steels), sometimes you have to get new springs too.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #88
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
My 06 750 did and the slipper was way tight. It slid out on 3090 more times than I care to remember.
Yeah, both the GSXR and our SV have Yoyodyne slippers. The '05 750 didn't come with one stock, so I don't know how a stocker acts.

Seems like even a stock slipper should be adjustable though...
Old 05-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #89
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

What I have found is that having people on this forum tell you how to do things is not nearly as educational as going to the track and letting them show you and then getting to practice under their watchful eye. I have ridden multiple times with 2 of the trackday providers and I have yet to meet an instructor that wasn't totally willing to help me improve my skills. It's pretty much been "ask and you will receive". As a matter of fact I haven't met anyone at the track who wasn't freindly and helpful. Just a great bunch of people to meet, hang out with and learn from.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #90
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Yeah, both the GSXR and our SV have Yoyodyne slippers. The '05 750 didn't come with one stock, so I don't know how a stocker acts.

Seems like even a stock slipper should be adjustable though...
Someone stole it before I really got a chance to play with it
Old 05-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #91
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Anyone got any experience with the 06 R6 stock slipper clutch?

I'm about to jump on one and just wanted to find out what I could expect to get out of it.

It'll be my first bike with a slipper.......I'm so excited!

-Adam
Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #92
SPYDER BITE
Can-Am has arrived

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2009 Can-Am Spyder 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
HANG IN THERE, WE ALL STARTED OUT SLOW..
I know, I just don't have the need for speed like my other half
Old 05-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #93
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
Anyone got any experience with the 06 R6 stock slipper clutch?

I'm about to jump on one and just wanted to find out what I could expect to get out of it.

It'll be my first bike with a slipper.......I'm so excited!

-Adam
R6 stock slipper is tight and will hold the wheel at high speed. There are modded threads in R6 forums that could help you with Q & A's about removing one of the clutch springs.
I have removed/cut 1 from the the 3's that was in it. It made a big difference. Some takes 2 out of 3. I reccomend just 1.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #94
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
R6 stock slipper is tight and will hold the wheel at high speed. There are modded threads in R6 forums that could help you with Q & A's about removing one of the clutch springs.
I have removed/cut 1 from the the 3's that was in it. It made a big difference. Some takes 2 out of 3. I reccomend just 1.
Thanks!

I'll look into it.

-Adam
Old 05-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #95
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Thank you all for confusing the out of me! Just kidding. Thank you all for the numerous ideas and suggestions. I was glad to learn that what I tried (blipping the throttle) to overcome it is one of common ways to avoid the problem. It worked when I did it right but itís new to me and will require some refinement.
Tom, I remembered what you said about letting the clutch out smoothly and though I tried, it didnít work too well. One of the mods on my bike is a cable clutch conversion and I noticed right away that it feels more like an on / off switch than any clutch Iíve ever used.
Leaving it in third sounds like a good idea to me at this time. One less thing to concentrate on and I can always downshift when Iím slowed down and want to accelerate. It may even help me to carry more speed into the turn. I think I may have been slowing too much before the turn and often actually accelerating into it. That = Not Fast, right?
As for rear brakes, I just donít think I could ever get myself to use them until Iím straight up, off the track and headed for a fence. Trail braking is something Iíll think about down the road, or maybe not so far down the road if Iím going to be leaving it in third and carrying more speed. A slipper clutch would really be the easiest way out but not for me on this bike right now.
Anyway, except for all the talk about and such (which is entertaining though not really helpful) youíve all made some great points for me to consider soÖ..THANKS!

And now for another somewhat related question. What about gearing? Mineís the stock 17/40 now and I have a 520-conversion kit to 16/42 sitting right next to me. Should I install it?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #96
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Dang, 17/40? I don't know what comes stock, but that doesn't sound like a good combo for some reason... that may be some of your problem.

Sounds like maybe your clutch needs some adjustment too (the cable or slave).

Slipper clutches are expensive, but on our race SV, it is AWESOME!

Remember too what we talked about with the throttle and being smooth with it- you left a lot of rubber snakes out of the corners with a heavy throttle hand (not that it doesn't look cool... ).

Gearing on my 600 and our SV endurance ride varies from track to track, but stock gearing and chain size usually works just fine until you get more seat time on you. I'd go back to stock gearing with 525 chain until you get some more experience. It may be more forgiving, and will definitely last longer. The aluminum sprockets with the 520 size will not last long.

IIRC, 16/ 45 is stock on that bike, but I've been wrong many times before.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #97
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Did a little research and 17/40 is stock. Oh well, I guess that's not it!

Stick with stock unless you feel like it's not controllable coming out of the corners like it is. Shouldn't be though. Coming in to the corner won't really be affected too much or at all by gearing.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #98
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
Thanks!

I'll look into it.

-Adam
i rode a stock 2006 R6 and didnt have a single problem with the slipper clutch. it works flawlessly in my opinion. the handling of that bike is awsome. one of the best handling bikes ive ever riddin hands down. we took it straight from the showroom floor out to TWS (Texas World Speedway) and turned 1:53's without touching a dial. we simply put DOT race tires on it and rode the out of it. the only thing that didnt impress me on that bike was the motor. it seemed gutless. you better be prepared to ride that thang bangin it off the rev limiter the entire time. if it falls below 12,000 rpm it falls flat on its face. but other than that... its a great bike
Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #99
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
1. you would think with all your track experience you would know what the definition of trailbraking is...

2. knowing and agreeing with the correct definition of a word is hardly coaching.

3. you're much cooler than I am
i wasnt even refering to you in the first place. so sorry you took offense to what i had to say. and your right ! i am cooler than you & way faster too
Old 05-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #100
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

so true...would you mind showing me how to be faster and cooler? :dontknow:
Closed Thread

Advertisement