MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
Wormgear

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

How do you slow this thing down?

Ok so Iím a total NEWB to this bike and riding track days both. My SV1000 performed a lot better than I expected with one exception and itís probably just from my inexperience with the big twin. There at GSS I never got past third gear all day. But coming off those straights, braking and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd is where I had a problem. Iíd go to 2nd and it was like locking up the rear brake. Rear tire sliding and skipping all over the place and a racket like I was wrecking the gears. I know some of you saw it. My adjustment was to blip the throttle, get the rpmís up then engage the clutch and roll the throttle closed avoiding that extreme engine braking. This seemed to take a lot more time and effort than I wanted to spend slowing her down. Iím used to riding a Kawi C-14 (inline 4, shaft drive and slipper clutch) and this never happens to me on that bike. Iíve always used a lot of eng braking along with the front brake to slow down fast. Any advice? I'm guessing just more brake / less engine.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slow bikes fast...or fast bikes slow...Fun? lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 02-21-2013 09:04 AM
too slow pester Off Topic 8 06-22-2010 01:35 PM
I'm slow Redux General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 11-12-2008 01:28 AM
No wonder I'm so slow.... Steve O Chap Taking it to the Track 19 09-04-2005 09:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
Maybe your not leaning enough and trying to slow down too much . Btw i ride a zrx1100 and i'm not a racer but when i went on some spirited rides i learned a little bit about turns .
Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

At the point I’m talking about I’m still on the straights, not leaning at all. Just slowing down to setup for the turn.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

I know some who never left second gear at GSS.
Blip the throttle when you down shift, it wont be so violent...then you'll perfect it!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Sounds like your big bike allowed you to develop a bad habit. It's because your SV1000 doesn't have a slipper clutch like your Concours does. You're just gonna have to suck it up and learn to blip the throttle faster. As time goes by, with more practice, you'll get a lot better at it, and it'll all be instict, so it won't take you near as long. My bike has a slipper clutch as well, and I made it a point from day one to rev-match as best as possible from people warning that slippers 'taught' people that bad lil habit.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormgear View Post
Ok so Iím a total NEWB to this bike and riding track days both. My SV1000 performed a lot better than I expected with one exception and itís probably just from my inexperience with the big twin. There at GSS I never got past third gear all day. But coming off those straights, braking and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd is where I had a problem. Iíd go to 2nd and it was like locking up the rear brake. Rear tire sliding and skipping all over the place and a racket like I was wrecking the gears. I know some of you saw it. My adjustment was to blip the throttle, get the rpmís up then engage the clutch and roll the throttle closed avoiding that extreme engine braking. This seemed to take a lot more time and effort than I wanted to spend slowing her down. Iím used to riding a Kawi C-14 (inline 4, shaft drive and slipper clutch) and this never happens to me on that bike. Iíve always used a lot of eng braking along with the front brake to slow down fast. Any advice? I'm guessing just more brake / less engine.
yes, more front brake and less engine braking is a start. but rather than engine braking so early, try applying a little rear brake (trail braking) while braking with the front. the front brakes should be about 80-85% of your stopping power and the rest between rear brake & engine braking. now for the easy fix... put a slipper clutch in it ! that way all you have to do is come into the corner make your downshifts & dump the clutch. you will get a nice smooth entrance (sometimes a good slide) into the corner without all that wheel hop & chain slap. mike and i run them on the motards and they are the ! i hate riding bikes without them now. the slipper clutch is the main reason why that doesnt happen on your KAWI C-14. slipper clutches are pricey, but well worth it !!!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
Mic

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Send a message via AIM to Mic Send a message via MSN to Mic
You can also try to smoothly let the clutch out instead of just letting it out all at once. You want things to be as smooth as possible so the bike isn't upset. Smooth in, smooth out. I practice blipping the throttle while downshifting when riding on the street. Get to the point where it becomes second nature so you don't have to think about it.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

my suggestion is to stay in 3rd till you get more experience with this type of thing, your bike is a twin ( torque monster ) so it's really not necessary to go into a lower gear at your level. if you run through the turns in 3rd when you should be in 2nd, this will help you gain speed over time b/c you'll be going into and out of the turn smoothly (smooth is fast) you'll eventually start picking up your speed, also as Jody said, a slipper clutch will eliminate that nastyness of the rear wheel skip and hop.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #9
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I'm kind of with James and Jody on this one. You have a ton of torque from that 1k so you might as well use it. Keep it in 3rd and power out of the turn or spend a bit of $$ and get a slipper.

But from what I saw you were braking/downshifting a bit too early. Try going deeper into the turn do your braking and at the end of your braking grab the downshift. By then you should be low enough in the RPM's to avoid the tire locking up.

The Twin is a great way to learn how to downshift properly and will make you a better rider in the end. Just my .02
Old 05-29-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
Pathos

Bike(s):
'07 Triumph 675 (graphite)

trail braking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
try applying a little rear brake (trail braking) while braking with the front. the front brakes should be about 80-85% of your stopping power and the rest between rear brake & engine braking.
For clarification: That's not my definition of trail braking. I've read that trail braking is braking even after you start to turn (most commonly front brake only). The more you lean over the less you brake until you have fully released the brake lever. Obviously that's an advanced skill that is used to brake later into a turn and hence go faster around the track. You don't want to be braking while leaned over pretty far.

Disclaimer: I'm still in the noob phase of track riding, and am learning still. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. And no offense to jodyhudson
Old 05-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathos View Post
For clarification: That's not my definition of trail braking. I've read that trail braking is braking even after you start to turn (most commonly front brake only). The more you lean over the less you brake until you have fully released the brake lever. Obviously that's an advanced skill that is used to brake later into a turn and hence go faster around the track. You don't want to be braking while leaned over pretty far.

Disclaimer: I'm still in the noob phase of track riding, and am learning still. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. And no offense to jodyhudson
exactly... ride more & talk less no offense taken
Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Pathos

Bike(s):
'07 Triumph 675 (graphite)

Quote:
exactly... ride more & talk less no offense taken
haha So am I wrong?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
So am I wrong?
nope...you're right
Old 05-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
jodyhudson

Quote:
haha So am I wrong?
partially... but i dont think you understand what trail braking is. i didnt say stab the outta the rear brake... you just put your foot on the pedal and drag it, just enough to help slow you down.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #15
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
nope...you're right
oh boy... more guys with hardly any track experience and they are coaching other riders. you just gotta love this place
Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #16
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

SMOKE THE CLUTCH!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #17
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:

i disagree with you here. I trailbrake like a all the time, with front and or rear brakes, whether im at a slight lean or a FULL lean, you have to be experienced with this technique but it is a functional and effective way of using the brakes.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #18
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
oh boy... more guys with hardly any track experience and they are coaching other riders. you just gotta love this place

I like this guy.

Jody, you don't happen to be a former Marine do you? Everytime I read your post it makes me think about all the smartasses I served with.

Makes me miss the good ole days in the Corps. where it was ok to be an to everyone.

-Adam
Old 05-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #19
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
I like this guy.

Jody, you don't happen to be a former Marine do you? Everytime I read your post it makes me think about all the smartasses I served with.

Makes me miss the good ole days in the Corps. where it was ok to be an to everyone.

-Adam
nope. no Marine, but i am a natural born ive always been one to speak my mind regardless of the concequinces. the way i see it is... if they cant handle it, they need to grow a sack and stop bein so vaginal !
Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #20
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
nope. no Marine, but i am a natural born ive always been one to speak my mind regardless of the concequinces. the way i see it is... if they cant handle it, they need to grow a sack and stop bein so vaginal !

JODYHUDSON FOR PRESIDENT
Closed Thread

Advertisement