Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
StarSapphire
'Reset'

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'08 Yamaha V-Star 650 Silverado

Question Gear for Kids???

Hey all! Has anyone seen proper street gear for kids? My son is almost 9 and I'd like to be able to bring him with us when we ride, but don't feel comfortable with him just being in a helmet and regular jacket... Anyone have kids and been able to find proper gear?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions/Advice on kids gear. Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 12-10-2014 12:56 PM
just ordered kids street gear for my daughter RACER X Gear Talk 1 02-25-2012 11:10 AM
Joe Rocket Gear In Stock @ Motorcycles Unlimited, Lot's of Gear At Super Pricing!! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 7 10-06-2009 07:29 AM
kids without gear on CarbonJames Safety Corner Main 12 05-13-2008 04:06 PM
kids gear?? bigjay77 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-09-2006 02:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
StarSapphire
'Reset'

Bike(s):

They've got a ton of stuff, but it's all dirt - nothing with real armour for street riding.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
Brena23
Mothernugget

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

The best thing you will find depending on how big he is would be the girls xs or small jackets and gloves. I had looked for my son at one point and they dont sell really anything that I would put my son in on the street.

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget
Brena23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
StarSapphire
'Reset'

Bike(s):

Thanks for the suggestion, Brena. Any sites you'd recommend? Called Cycle Gear near work and they're telling me to try the men's x-small... um... He's a KID people!

You know, maybe that's where I can make my fortune... Any financial backers out there???
Old 05-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

http://www.babybiker.com/

http://www.childridingbelt.com/

http://www.buddybelt.com/
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!

Last edited by RACER X; 05-27-2008 at 02:15 PM.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
striker
Zip Tie Guy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2003 GSXR 1000

babybiker is in the UK...shipping will kill ya... cruisinclothes4kids.com is the US distributer. Really nice peeps and great stuff!

Lee Harvey Oswald: Where are you when we need you?
striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
Brena23
Mothernugget

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
From what I saw on the website it is all just leather jackets and such no armour built in. Is there some I missed somewhere? Honda of houston usually carries alot of womens gear and alot of different sizes. an xsmall ladies jacket with the built in armour and gloves would probably be your best bet for sizing. My 7 year old is a pretty big kid for his age (62lbs and pretty tall he wears a 10 in boys) and can ALMOST fit into an xsmall fieldshear (sp?)

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget
Brena23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

leathers for kids

http://www.motoliberty.com/
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
striker
Zip Tie Guy

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2003 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brena23 View Post
From what I saw on the website it is all just leather jackets and such no armour built in. Is there some I missed somewhere? Honda of houston usually carries alot of womens gear and alot of different sizes. an xsmall ladies jacket with the built in armour and gloves would probably be your best bet for sizing. My 7 year old is a pretty big kid for his age (62lbs and pretty tall he wears a 10 in boys) and can ALMOST fit into an xsmall fieldshear (sp?)
We have the tri-dent leather/textile jacket. It is FABULOUS! and it has built in armour; shoulder, elbow, and spine guard. It is removable. It has a removable waterproof, WARM, liner for winter. (it is very warm). A portion of the jacket is removable exposing mesh and allowing air flow for hot weather. This leaves all of the armour and leather over the arms all the way to the wrist. She wore the jim leather pants for the winter. XS has pads but the larger sizes have removable armour. Many of the products do have pads and/or armour. We just email, tell em what where lookin for and they point us in the right direction.

AND it is a child's jacket, so it fits!

Lee Harvey Oswald: Where are you when we need you?

Last edited by striker; 05-27-2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: forgot somethin'
striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #11
StarSapphire
'Reset'

Bike(s):

Awesome links, thanks!!! I'll definitely be doing some detailed site scanning tonight... I'll check with Wild West Honda also, they had a pretty good selection of gear when I was there last, but I don't remember paying attention to the women's x-small...
Old 05-28-2008, 12:00 AM   #12
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

awesome info here. my oldest will be going to dirt bike school within the next year.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
StarSapphire
'Reset'

Bike(s):

Ok, I called Wild West Honda last night on my drive home (yup, in the cage ) and the parts guy actually said to me, "you're not really going to put a 9 year old on a bike, are you?" Um, dude, he's not going to be doing the DRIVING of the bike - he can't reach the ground!!!! Anyone else run into sales guys that are clueless? It's not like I'm going to be taking my kid onto the freeway at 110+ mph bobbing and weaving in and out of traffic...
Old 05-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #14
DADDY-T
TONY

Bike(s):
RF600

What a dumb a**. I take my son and daughter up and down the street but haven't gone any further. My son is older and bigger and he always wants to go to my office down the street and to the store up the street but I don't want to go too far with him without proper gear as well as everyone else. BTW, what is the legal age or weight or size for a passenger? I was told as long as they can hold on with confidence that they won't let go and if they can reach rear pegs they are legal. Any truth to this?
DADDY-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
tyme2move

Bike(s):
'99 Katana 600
'87 yamaha virago 535

The child has to sit BEHIND the driver on a permanent seat with a DOT approved helmet. There is no minimum age, at least not when we contacted DPS about a year ago. It is 5 in Louisiana (not that that matters, just thought I'd throw that in). Younger kids have a tendency to fall asleep, so consider a safety harness, or short rides.
tyme2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #16
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Just saw this post and thought I'd add my .02. Our kids are 11 and 13. They both have protective boots (the 13 year old actually has motorcycle boots), ankle, shin and knee guards, The 11 year old has hip and thigh under garment gear and they both wear RockGardn Jr. Flak Jackets which can be worn under or over clothing. XXS Helmets are available - But take the kid and check the fit. Get a buddy belt $30-$40 (Motorcycles Unlimited will order it and it will take 1 day)

http://www.athleticarmour.com/Brands...rand%2B(Search)
Old 05-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #17
StarSapphire
'Reset'

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDY-T View Post
What a dumb a**. I take my son and daughter up and down the street but haven't gone any further. My son is older and bigger and he always wants to go to my office down the street and to the store up the street but I don't want to go too far with him without proper gear as well as everyone else. BTW, what is the legal age or weight or size for a passenger? I was told as long as they can hold on with confidence that they won't let go and if they can reach rear pegs they are legal. Any truth to this?
My b/f had taken my son around on his Ninja 650 and he loved it, but then as a reward, we decided to take him for the first time on my V-Star to/from school and he now tells us he likes it more. I think it's the reassurance of the sissy bar versus not having the " stop." I makes perfect sense from the kid perspective...

Oh, and we'll go by Wild West Honda in person to see what they have in stock and will post an update this weekend!

Advertisement