MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
cyclesnoopy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2009 ninja 650r

Send a message via Yahoo to cyclesnoopy
a question about selling a motorcycle

if you decided to sell your bike, how would you handle letting a potential buyer test ride it?

obviously i wouldnt know the riders skill level nor intent, maybe hes just out joy riding with no intent to buy, or maybe he just wants to dog the out of someone elses bike.

would it be "money in my hand and you can ride" or would you follow them in a different vehicle, or would you just not let anybody ride it, which doesnt seem like it would lead to selling the bike?

opinions??
cyclesnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike Selling Question morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 12-08-2011 12:12 PM
just a question about selling a motor casey10 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 02-09-2010 11:55 AM
Question about Selling ASAP! Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 07-19-2008 11:11 AM
question about selling a motorcycle chasee69 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 06-10-2008 12:39 PM
Question About Selling a Bike DvlRacer General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-18-2008 08:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

You can generally get a good feel for the person when they come to check it out. If you have a bad vibe ask to hold something of equal value(cash is the best in this situation).
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Cash, their drivers license and girlfriend.

I defintely would want to see the drivers license for M endorsement and cash up front unless you know them.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

let him take it for a spin.....while u hold the money for him...he drops it....thats means is sold
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
beaterR6
they call me Chunk

Bike(s):
lookin to trade my truck for your...

Send a message via MSN to beaterR6
cash in hand only.......

a potential sale is not worth a ruined bike........

if they dont have cash.....they prob. are not serious about buying anyway.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Hades
Underworld

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
**05 Repsol** gone :(
**CBR F4**Sold
**00 R6** Sold
**00 748** Sold
Illegal Senorita

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Hades
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mudbug View Post
Both of the bikes I bought I left the wife and Jeep with the seller and went for a ride. If they aked for the cash I would show them the money but give it up. Each person is different and I handle it by gut feelings.

But why follow in a car. They can out run you.

+1 go with your gut feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I'm some what knowledgeable on PPs
Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
i ride around the pole
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

If you have full cov. dont worry to much.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
skmart2
Stephanie

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

I saw a post where the seller was asking to hold 20-30% of the sell price in cash for a test ride. my guess is that would be for an insurance deductible and then some if something were to happen. but...like others have said, go with your gut feeling
Old 05-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
xdeviousdavex

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
06' GSXR 750

agree with the gut feeling... you can tell if someone is really interested or not and also check for the M on license and cash in hand
Old 05-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
Ogre
Ancient one

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Blackbird

GFs are useless, you can't hold onto them.

Make sure buyer has the means to close the transaction (i.e., cash in hand). Best to already have the deal negotiated. Agree that if dropped the deal is done (i.e., you bought it). If you have the slightest doubt, write it out and have them sign it so that you can enforce in court if necessary. Get a photo of their DL (just due diligence) and vehicle plate before they get on the bike. Make sure that they have an M endorsement or no ride at all.

Last edited by Ogre; 05-26-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #12
nels

Bike(s):
01 Silver/Black F4i-SOLD =(

i recently sold my bike, and was in the same scenario. guy gave me the cash to hold on to while he test drove. i was cool with that
nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mudbug View Post
Both of the bikes I bought I left the wife and Jeep with the seller and went for a ride. If they aked for the cash I would show them the money but give it up. Each person is different and I handle it by gut feelings.

But why follow in a car. They can out run you.
I wasn't worried
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #14
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesnoopy View Post
would you follow them in a different vehicle, or would you just not let anybody ride it, which doesnt seem like it would lead to selling the bike?

opinions??

Do you have another bike to follow him? So, that's out of the question even if you do have the fastest bike in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
You can generally get a good feel for the person when they come to check it out. If you have a bad vibe ask to hold something of equal value(cash is the best in this situation).
Thieves comes from all ages, races and forms. This shouldn't be considered as gambling or vibes. Owner are responsible for accidents if caused by driver or rider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
GFs are useless, you can't hold onto them.

Maybe he is trying to dump his girlfriend to you.
Ever heard of that jokes about a cop stop a driver and the driver replied, I thought you were trying to return the wife.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #15
level5
moving chicane

Cash in hand to test ride. In Chinese-American accent, "you break you buy."
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #16
dasboot

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2004 R1 - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
Cash in hand to test ride. In Chinese-American accent, "you break you buy."
lol, that was a great comment. I agree with pieces of what was stated before. i try to work out the majority of negotiations before they ride it. after negotiations, i have them sign a pre printed contract: they accept full responsability for any damages while the bike is in their posession and agree to purchase at asking price if anything happens. their car is left with me as collateral until payment (if something hapened). their personal info is filled out and they sign. i have not had anyone refuse to do this in any sales ive done in the past. not everyone carries cash with them when they come to look and that might drive away a buyer. i have not asked about the M before (i rode for years before i got mine) but its a good idea to see the DL. hold their car keys and the contract till they get back.
dasboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #17
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasboot View Post
lol, that was a great comment. I agree with pieces of what was stated before. i try to work out the majority of negotiations before they ride it. after negotiations, i have them sign a pre printed contract: they accept full responsability for any damages while the bike is in their posession and agree to purchase at asking price if anything happens. their car is left with me as collateral until payment (if something hapened). their personal info is filled out and they sign. i have not had anyone refuse to do this in any sales ive done in the past. not everyone carries cash with them when they come to look and that might drive away a buyer. i have not asked about the M before (i rode for years before i got mine) but its a good idea to see the DL. hold their car keys and the contract till they get back.
You are playiing with fire if you don't get cash in hand. Even with that piece of paper you could still at the very least have to deal with a huge headache of suing someone. It is your choice, but I wouldn't let anybody ride untill they paid for it. Just my $.02
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #18
av8_r22

Bike(s):
2005 SV650S

Cash in hand, a motorcycle endorsement, and a contract saying that if there's any damage at all, they buy it. That's the only way someone's getting a test ride out of anything I'm selling.

Unless, of course, it's an MHer. Then I know they're highly skilled and completely honest. Makes the stipulations obsolete.
av8_r22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #19
tschreck
It is what it is..

Bike(s):
GSXR-750
C1400
YZ-80

Send a message via Yahoo to tschreck
You don't ever let them ride your bike. Allow them to watch you ride it and shift ect... If they are interested in buying that's all it should take. Sure enough if they are willing to drive to meet you. It's risky but for my own sake I would bring a gun w/CHL and a Bill of sale with the title and not use my home to do the deal. Make sure your in control of the entire deal. Don't fall for scams and always never let your guard down. Expect to always get knocked down on the price that was set orginally. Don't forget. If you do let them ride. Check the money first and count it, remember your in Control. Money is in your hand and it's REAL!!!! Good luck
tschreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #20
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Good point on don't use your home or where you store the bike. Some people use the opportunity to stake out where and what ya got and come back later.
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement