MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
Mr_Bmw

Feedback Rating: (0)

what are some of the worst..

what are some of the worst things you can do while riding that will kill your bike mechanically? Also what about in general? for example could not giving you bike X amount of time to warm up really hurt it mechanically? thanks

Also what is a good cruising RPM like if i am going for like an hour on the highway. I thought as low as you could get it would be best but someone was telling me thats not always so. Thanks guys
Mr_Bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whatever it is...could be worst than coccaine Schmidie Off Topic 24 01-07-2012 12:39 PM
This is people at their worst..... hotcknstrips Off Topic 81 09-08-2009 03:46 PM
worst ramp EVER. blends General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 02-19-2009 11:17 PM
WORST SPIDERMAN EVER! hotnanas Off Topic 14 04-11-2008 04:24 PM
What is the worst.... firegirlqn Off Topic 72 06-15-2006 09:55 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
sshaikh01
The guitar boys

I warm up my bike untill the LO goes away to 104F.
These bikes are HIGH PERFORMANCE machines. But you need to stay away from bikes that have been stunt on. Wheelies are bad, mkay.

As far as cruising on the freeways goes, its just common sense.

Higher rpms = More power = poor gas milage.

Lower rpms = Less power = better gas milage.
sshaikh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
SackDragger

Bike(s):
Gixxer

^^ What he said...

Cheesy Family Photos:
http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/ctreat/
SackDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
hfa3g11
OG

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2005 Honda CBR600RR Tribal Edition *retired*

Send a message via AIM to hfa3g11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshaikh01
These bikes are HIGH PERFORMANCE machines. But you need to stay away from bikes that have been stunt on. Wheelies are bad, mkay.

weird, thats what i do. i wait till 104 deg.
hfa3g11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:52 PM   #5
dotcom
*** PUBLIC RELATIONS ***

Bike(s):
01 Yamaha R6, 125 BBB mini

Send a message via AIM to dotcom Send a message via MSN to dotcom Send a message via Yahoo to dotcom
i just wait till the "LO" is off.. and there are three digits...

www.myspace.com/motohouston
dotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
hfa3g11
OG

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2005 Honda CBR600RR Tribal Edition *retired*

Send a message via AIM to hfa3g11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcom
i just wait till the "LO" is off.. and there are three digits...

is the LO those two little lines?
hfa3g11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #7
zixx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshaikh01

Higher RPM doesnt always equal better gas mileage, especially if you're in the 1-6k RPM range on a 600cc. Cruising at these RPM's on a 600 will likely hurt your gas mileage because you will be lugging the motor if in 6th. A 600 likes to be in the powerband, try to keep it there as much as you can. Dont be scared of revving your bike.

There's a point on the tach where you dont want to be for extended periods like say past 12k RPM, but cruising at 8k RPM isnt going to hurt anything and it can help your mileage.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
dotcom
*** PUBLIC RELATIONS ***

Bike(s):

Send a message via AIM to dotcom Send a message via MSN to dotcom Send a message via Yahoo to dotcom
i dont know.. on the Yami's it says LO until it gets warmed

Old 10-15-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
dotcom
*** PUBLIC RELATIONS ***

Bike(s):

it's kind of like the indicator ...

you know like KY at a Spa...you got to get them warmed up and make sure they are properly lubed

Old 10-16-2005, 12:33 AM   #10
KiNG $h!T
Fugkwhacha heard!!!!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
MIA!!!

Send a message via AIM to KiNG $h!T
werd i read somewhere your supposed to wait till 160 tho.
KiNG $h!T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 01:11 AM   #11
TooBuku
Dumb Gook

Send a message via AIM to TooBuku
i go as soon as get a temp. reading, usually around 94.

stunting your bike will kill atleast 50% of your bikes life, maybe even more.
TooBuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 01:18 AM   #12
Mr_Bmw

ok well good i dont stunt...i just started riding and some little things scare me cause i dont want the bike to just break on me somewhere. Thanks for the input. Also does anyone pay for oil changes or do yall just do them yourselves? is it hard? how much do they usually cost?
Old 10-16-2005, 01:53 AM   #13
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Send a message via AIM to Ramius
I think most places will change your oil plus do a check up on it for around 40-50 bucks. It's worth it if you aren't that mechanically inclined, they can catch things that you would miss.

Personally I take it in once or twice a year to let someone else do it. I'm all for saving labor charges but from time to time having a different set of eyes on it can be a life saver in terms of problem prevention.

If you live on the north side of town call up Patrick, I've been to his shop once or twice, It's too far away for me to be convienient but if I've never been dissapointed when I've gone in,The shop is full of knowledgefull people and he's a nice guy and does good work, Even if he does make his other employee's use the crappy computers with vacuum tube monitores while he gets the cushy flat screen =)

The stores called Motorcycles Unlimited.
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 01:55 AM   #14
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

^^^^^^^^^

I started to correct all the grammatical and typographical errors in that post.. but there were too many, so please accept this public apology instead.
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Old 10-16-2005, 02:00 AM   #15
Mr_Bmw

sounds good. thanks for the post....i got my oil change done once already and maybe its just me but 40-50 bucks seems so high... i mean it holds what 2 quarts? thats like what 6 bucks? is labor really that bad? most cars get their cars done for like what 20 bucks...my bmw is 55...and i thought that was high...who knows but thats my 2 cents
Old 10-16-2005, 02:15 AM   #16
Maverick
Made Man

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Team Green Ninja !
100cc Knock0ff Dirt

Send a message via AIM to Maverick
why does stuntin kill yer bikes life ?
Old 10-16-2005, 02:18 AM   #17
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

If I remember right the oil filter alone was around 7 bucks, then the oil was another 12 but I know you can spend up to 50 bucks a gallon for oil if you really think you need that kind.

By the way, most people don't know this but for you penny pinchers out there wal mart will do an oil/oil filter change for 13 dollars on your car. I'm all for doing my own work but for an extra three dollars I say let them have it, I don't have to waste a trip to the jiffy lube to dispose of my oil afterwards+ as a bonus.

But the 20 dollars plus or minus a little bit isn't just for the oil, they check your chain tension and adjust it, assuming you have a chain, or your belt/fluid levels if you don't. They also eyeball other things on your bike, water levels and grease fittings... Just basically give it a quick looksie to make sure nothing is wearing out or in need of attention.

Sure it's nothing you couldn't do on your own but it's good to have the assurance from time to time that you get from having another set of eyes go over it.

Hopefully that makes you feel better about the 50 bucks, I know it sucks I'm real tight- about my cash and hate to spend a dollar more than I have to in any situation but there is a little silver lining to this situation
Old 10-16-2005, 02:22 AM   #18
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
why does stuntin kill yer bikes life ?
Think about your girl... You wait till she's all juiced up and go slow and easy with her and she's good to go 7 days a week, but you run all up in that stuff with no warning and start making her bend like a gumby doll then she's going to want a day or three to "recover" right?

Well a bikes the same way except they don't heal.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:45 AM   #19
sshaikh01
The guitar boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixx6r
Higher RPM doesnt always equal better gas mileage, especially if you're in the 1-6k RPM range on a 600cc. Cruising at these RPM's on a 600 will likely hurt your gas mileage because you will be lugging the motor if in 6th. A 600 likes to be in the powerband, try to keep it there as much as you can. Dont be scared of revving your bike.

There's a point on the tach where you dont want to be for extended periods like say past 12k RPM, but cruising at 8k RPM isnt going to hurt anything and it can help your mileage.

don't pass out wrong information.

k thanks
mngt
sshaikh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:48 AM   #20
paniro187

best way to warm up a engine is by riding the bike. Not fast but just cruise. even from dead cold. if you warm up the engine, then take off what about the transmission that hasn't been moving or the whel bearings that haven't been moving. also sitting there letting the engine idle and warm up isn't good for gas mileage and it sure isn't good for the motor being that motors hate idling. the most i'll let the motor idle is a couple seconds to let oil pressure build then i take off and cruise until it hit operating temp then have my way with it . also if you take off after it warms up in idle then your tires are cold as too. basically warm the whole bike up not just the engine. same goes for cars too.

my 2 cents.

from two diffrent websites.

Quote:
If you're trying to "put some heat in the engine" Don't waste your time, heat comes from load and there is no load in neutral or park.
Quote:
1. Idling gets you nowhere and it can be costly. Excessive idling wastes an enormous amount of fuel and money and generates needless greenhouse gas emissions.
Quote:
Once a vehicle is running, the best way to warm it up is to drive it. With computer-controlled, fuel-injected engines, you need no more than 30 seconds of idling on winter days before driving away.
Quote:
5. Warming up the vehicle means more than warming the engine. The tires, transmission, wheel bearings and other moving parts also need to be warm for the vehicle to perform well. Most of these parts dont begin to warm up until you drive the vehicle away.
Quote:
11. Excessive idling can be hard on your engine. Because the engine isnt working at peak operating temperature, fuel doesnt undergo complete combustion. This leaves fuel residues that contaminate engine oil and make spark plugs dirty.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown

Last edited by paniro187; 10-16-2005 at 07:57 AM.
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement