MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
invalidalias

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Bonnevile

bike will only start jumped to car

so I am only able to start my bike while it is jumped to car. I have to mention I have to bypass the fuel relay. So the bike starts fine when it is jumped to car. after 5 minutes or so I 'unplug' the bike from the car and then the bike immediately dies. I am figuring the battery is not getting a charge or it is a bad battery but it was working fine until a month ago. Im sure the battery is just drained from all the starts it has received. Any thoughts or ideas. It may be the rectifier which would explain why it dies after being plugged in.
invalidalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car alarm remote start options flip326 Off Topic 4 03-18-2013 01:02 PM
car wont start Eberry2001 Off Topic 4 01-29-2010 09:49 PM
Can i jump start w/ small car and be ok???? jynxedj Safety Corner Main 8 10-13-2008 08:51 PM
my car wont start..... help!!!! Gimpin2Fold Off Topic 24 12-01-2006 12:28 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

you keep jump starting with a car and you're gonna have bigger problems. just start narrowing it down by starting with a new battery and go from there.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
elmo

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

I put 35000 miles on my 600 before rectifier went to . I don't know how many miles you have, but if its somewhat low it's most likely the battery.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
SPHINX
Ominous Misanthropia

Bike(s):
2006 ZX6R
2005 749S

Send a message via AIM to SPHINX
the same happened to me some weeks ago. it was just the battery.
SPHINX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

New battery should do it. If it runs well after it is satarted, that should indicate your stator, rectifier etc. as far as the charging system work well.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
Mic

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Send a message via AIM to Mic Send a message via MSN to Mic
Once the bike is started the charging system should be able to provide enough power for the bike to remain running with the battery dead, even at idle.

How old is the battery? Have you had it tested? Have you tried to charge it and then use it to start the bike? A lot of batteries are dying this time of year so that may be part of the issue.

Also, you should test the the volts on the system with the bike running. The volts should be somewhere between 13.5 and 14.4. Sometimes at idle, the volts will be on the low side and come up if you rev the engine up. If the volts are low/non-existent, you will need to check the wiring in the charging system, the stator, rotor, and voltage regulator/rectifier.

We should just make a sticky in the How to section about this already, this is the third or fourth one of these threads in the last few weeks.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
Once the bike is started the charging system should be able to provide enough power for the bike to remain running with the battery dead, even at idle.
Not necessarily, most all modern sport bikes won't run with a bad battery.

Like Grinchy mentioned, start with easy stuff first; looking at your battery first, then move to the more difficult components. Before you even pull it to be tested, make sure all battery connections are tight as that would cause your problem too.

Have your battery tested. If it tests "good", then a simple way to check the charging system is to check voltage at the battery while it's running. If it still won't run long enough off the charger to do that test, then I would look at replacing the regulator/ rectifier first. Getting in to the charging system is much more expensive.

I have a very strong suspicion that the battery is the culprit.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
Mic

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

As long as the battery isn't brick dead, it should still filter the voltage in the system through it. The point I was trying to make is that a healthy charging system should provide enough volts to keep the bike running even at idle, it should not be running off the battery.

I think it's the battery too, which is why all of the questions I asked were about it.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
invalidalias

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Bonnevile

battery

thanks. getting it tested today!
invalidalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #10
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
As long as the battery isn't brick dead, it should still filter the voltage in the system through it. The point I was trying to make is that a healthy charging system should provide enough volts to keep the bike running even at idle, it should not be running off the battery.
I hear ya, but most of the time, especially with FI bikes, even a low battery (chronically low) will not keep the engine running. Batteries that hold a small charge with one or two dead cells will mimic this, not unlike the "brick dead" battery.

The demands on the computer and other systems is too great for the charging system alone to run it most of the time. Hence the reason even constant loss race bikes have a battery- otherwise, they'd just lose the battery and keep the charging system instead (yes, I know that there are other reasons for losing the charging system, but weight on the bike is one of them).

Regardless, we all agree here, and I'm sure he'll get a new battery, properly charge it and all his problems will go away
Old 05-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
Mic

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Gotcha, I didn't realize that the bikes these days were that sensitive.

I've jumped plenty of newer cars and driven them (to the parts store for a battery) when the battery was so dead they didn't have enough juice to even turn the engine over once. I've even done that with my old CB750 to get it home and it had no problems running after disconnecting the jumpers. Hardly any electronics on that one.

Advertisement