MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #21
Waerloga
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c1ej8 View Post
for houston streets i wouldnt think hangin off bike close to scraping knee wouldn't be the best choice but on track sounds good i was taught at msf to counter steer and lean WITH bike not hang off
That answered my question!
  Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who is in the wrong here? Solracer The Circus 88 10-15-2014 10:16 PM
WHERE DID WE GO WRONG? bunxx Off Topic 30 08-18-2009 10:29 PM
Was it Wrong? Htownz General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 06-25-2008 01:02 PM
this is very very wrong Jango Off Topic 9 05-24-2007 11:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #22
BigComfy
Senior Member
 
BigComfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: under a rock
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 24,335

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorenet View Post
thats about the best peice of advise i've read on this board EVER.

cheers to you martin!
TY

I paraphrased Ronnie Hays aka the lead instructor at Lone Star Track Days.
__________________
"I haven't seen the crash, but I think Marc needs to be penalized for two or three seasons! Until I stop racing!"-VR46
BigComfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #23
IndyRC
Mutant
 
IndyRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Colorado
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,416

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None









Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c1ej8 View Post
for houston streets i wouldnt think hangin off bike close to scraping knee wouldn't be the best choice but on track sounds good i was taught at msf to counter steer and lean WITH bike not hang off
But there is a difference between leaning your body a little (like doing the kiss the mirror type of thing) and hanging way off and extending your knee out.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #24
FKNA
Senior Member
 
FKNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,707

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing








Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
Come to find out, apparently I take turns the wrong way.

Example.

I am on I-45 South taking the ramp to get onto I-10 West. Its a large sweeping right ramp.
I push with my right hand, initiating the turn. 1/3 of the way I start to accelerate. Push more with the right hand to correct going too wide. Lean a little to the left because I feel like my knee is about to start scraping and the bike would fall over.

Last night I talked to few people and they told me to not to use the hands after I initiated the turn. They said to move my body off the bike and not apply any pressure on handlebars.
Ok fair enough. I try to do it that way. Now I feel like I am doing it too much and I am even closer to the ground and now I am going to narrow on the turn. Who can explain or show this to me?
It's actually a combination of both. At speed limit speeds, really no need to lean the body off the bike. As the saying goes, practice makes perfect. Take the same curve over and over and over again at the same speed. You'll start to get the feel for it.

The whole purpose of leaning the body off the bike is to keep the bike from leaning as much, which in turn gives you a bigger contact patch and more traction. So unless you're traveling at high rates of speed, counter steering and throttle control is all you need
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #25
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster
 
Sassy Chassis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: All up in there where them planes is
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,124

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821









Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
The whole purpose of leaning the body off the bike is to keep the bike from leaning as much, which in turn gives you a bigger contact patch and more traction. So unless you're traveling at high rates of speed, counter steering and throttle control is all you need

That...and I don't think the Po-Pos appreciate it when they see us on the streets hanging off and dragging knee
__________________
indecision may or may not be my problem
Sassy Chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #26
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dickinson
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 15,920

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50









come over and ride the 50... you'll see what a difference hanging off the bike will do and what lean angle is all about... what's better is you can do it in a parking lot and drag knee at 25 mph
I am doing it wrong!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
Its the stupidity. It gets added to our forum in normal and controlled doses which actually serves to the benefit of the website.
sbfuller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #27
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets
 
Sifu-TZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 14,586

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard









A. if you're only going +5 of the speed limit on legal streets, you can't possibly be carrying enough speed to hang off draggin your knee.
B. you will never ever ever ever in your whole life ever mofukin ever get faster by reading on this board. I'm cereal, I have been riding for 27 years, and at the lasttrack day I did Gonzo (at MSR) showed me some things that made me infinitely faster, and much safer. in about 20 minutes, the light suddenly went off in my head and wham. my whole game changed, just like that. worth twice the price, and I did it safely and had more fun than I ever did hauling around town like I did when I was younger. one of the best days of my life that day.

trust me.
__________________
fastline logo

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
SBN. We're coming for your wife and daughters.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #28
klassik
Senior Member
 
klassik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rosharon Tx
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 7,984

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
929
rnz450








watch pros on tv and watch how they do it. you should be able to learn alot just from that. imitate it if it works for them why cant it for u.
__________________
www.teamstunters.com
klassik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #29
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector
 
texlurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Colo
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 10,236

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito View Post
watch pros on tv and watch how they do it. you should be able to learn alot just from that. imitate it if it works for them why cant it for u.
Watching and imitating without understanding the hows and whys will get you in trouble quick.

Or a poser ticket for sure!
__________________
sig pic
A wise man once told me: "No matter how fine she is, just remember. Somewhere, someone is tired of her !"
.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #30
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,270


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Quote:
Originally Posted by tz420 View Post
A. if you're only going +5 of the speed limit on legal streets, you can't possibly be carrying enough speed to hang off draggin your knee.
B. you will never ever ever ever in your whole life ever mofukin ever get faster by reading on this board. I'm cereal, I have been riding for 27 years, and at the lasttrack day I did Gonzo (at MSR) showed me some things that made me infinitely faster, and much safer. in about 20 minutes, the light suddenly went off in my head and wham. my whole game changed, just like that. worth twice the price, and I did it safely and had more fun than I ever did hauling around town like I did when I was younger. one of the best days of my life that day.

trust me.


^^^ All true and correct. Well said. ^^^
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #31
Waerloga
Guest
 
Posts: n/a







Member Garage





Sounds like I need to sign up for one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #32
gsxrjai
Sink or swim
 
gsxrjai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,649

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???








heres something that may help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxODoscChNo
gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:45 AM   #33
Hondahead
Senior Member
 
Hondahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Channelview/Northshore
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 107


Bike(s):
05 CBR600rr









Send a message via AIM to Hondahead
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjai View Post
heres something that may help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxODoscChNo
+1, I have watched this a million time, really helps you understand the whole hanging off issue
Hondahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #34
strat1701
dainese poster boy
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 123


Bike(s):
06 ZX6R









Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
Sounds like I need to sign up for one.
Do it. I've done 2 track days so far and am doing some in June. I noticed an improvement in my riding from my last track day. Even though I've been riding for about 5 1/2 yrs, I have a hard time trusting the bike/tyres. I'm getting better but it takes a lot of time and practice and the thing that sucks is that I ONLY feel the confidence boost on track. On streets I can't make myself push it to the limits and I suppose that's a good thing. Your 250 on a track will out corner my 636 probably. Heck my instructor at MSR ran one session on a 50! He was carrying some insane corner speed. By the last 2 sessions on the last track day I felt like I had improved from earlier that day.
strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #35
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor
 
SCRC John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Magnolia, Tx
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 2,747

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
Sounds like I need to sign up for one.
Grandsport this Monday

www.lstd.com
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #36
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor
 
SCRC John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Magnolia, Tx
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 2,747

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by strat1701 View Post
Do it. I've done 2 track days so far and am doing some in June. I noticed an improvement in my riding from my last track day. Even though I've been riding for about 5 1/2 yrs, I have a hard time trusting the bike/tyres. I'm getting better but it takes a lot of time and practice and the thing that sucks is that I ONLY feel the confidence boost on track. On streets I can't make myself push it to the limits and I suppose that's a good thing. Your 250 on a track will out corner my 636 probably. Heck my instructor at MSR ran one session on a 50! He was carrying some insane corner speed. By the last 2 sessions on the last track day I felt like I had improved from earlier that day.
Your not supposed to push it on the street. Riding on the track made me slow down on the street as well as be a smoother rider
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #37
strat1701
dainese poster boy
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NW Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 123


Bike(s):
06 ZX6R









Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
Your not supposed to push it on the street. Riding on the track made me slow down on the street as well as be a smoother rider
I don't on the streets, never have, that's why I'm insanely slow on track because I have a hard time adjusting from street to track, but getting better.
strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #38
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor
 
SCRC John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Magnolia, Tx
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 2,747

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by strat1701 View Post
I don't on the streets, never have, that's why I'm insanely slow on track because I have a hard time adjusting from street to track, but getting better.
If your trying to improve, then nothing more can be asked of you.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #39
rhenriksen
Senior Member
 
rhenriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rice Military, Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)






Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjai View Post
heres something that may help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxODoscChNo
This is a great video - thanks very much for posting the link.
rhenriksen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #40
Javi
Siempre positivo..
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,515












Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerloga View Post
Come to find out, apparently I take turns the wrong way.

Example.

I am on I-45 South taking the ramp to get onto I-10 West. Its a large sweeping right ramp.
I push with my right hand, initiating the turn. 1/3 of the way I start to accelerate. Push more with the right hand to correct going too wide. Lean a little to the left because I feel like my knee is about to start scraping and the bike would fall over.

Last night I talked to few people and they told me to not to use the hands after I initiated the turn. They said to move my body off the bike and not apply any pressure on handlebars.
Ok fair enough. I try to do it that way. Now I feel like I am doing it too much and I am even closer to the ground and now I am going to narrow on the turn. Who can explain or show this to me?



dont think bout it 2 much just do it.. so says my friend

beckyillegalbmx048
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy