MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #41
0oAndyo0
Trying togo fast again!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Race bike forsale!
2006 GSXR Race bike SOLD!!!
2007 GSXR 750 SOLD!!!
2001 GSXR 600 SOLD!!!
2007 R1 SOLD!!!

Replica Racing Leather Suit hands down best one I ever wore around. A true fit
315604 red315604 gray315604 blue

Last edited by 0oAndyo0; 05-22-2008 at 12:26 PM.
0oAndyo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track Leathers Question ThomasNinja650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 06-29-2010 10:30 AM
question about leathers mattj0206 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 06-30-2008 11:47 AM
new leathers witchdoctor575 General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 05-30-2008 06:48 AM
Question about leathers rental logan5 Motorcycles Unlimited 6 07-13-2007 08:29 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #42
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0oAndyo0 View Post
Replica Racing Leather Suit hands down best one I ever wore around. A true fit
315604 red315604 gray315604 blue
martin is not getting into one of those anytime soon.

no offense martin.....but we are healthy guys. i went with Syed leathers, and their leathers seem very durable. and ask anybody with syed leathers around the track, most of them have had their suit for over 10 years. their older stuff looks kinda funky, but the new stuff looks pretty decent.

you should check them out.....great customer service also. and you dont' have to wait months on end to get your suit. i got mine in 2 weeks (paid for express service) but i believe the normal turn around time is 3-4 weeks.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #43
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Best on the market- custom suits like Syed, Vanson, Barnacle Bill's, Komodo

The suits I have owned that I really liked were my off-the-rack AGV Sport. They held up really well to 4 years of abuse and several get-offs. Good armor, good stitching, good padding (triple layered in "high impact" areas), fit very well for off-the-rack.

My next suit will be Syed custom. Might be by the end of this season...
Old 05-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #44
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

i have 2 sets of suits. A fieldsheer 2 pc and a dainese 1 pc. For the money spent the fieldsheer stuff works great and has held up for 3 years now of constant use. The new 1 pc blows the fieldsheer out of the water when it comes to fitment and air flow. Seems alot heavier duty as well.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #45
LEANANGLE

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
.07 Harley Davidson softail fsxtc-
05 gixxer 750
04 YZ 450
03 CR 125

i got a kobe misano from pete at texas track bikes ... i love it ... he will hook you up also a great dude and has rentals you can try on to get fitted correctly, LESS THAN 400.00
LEANANGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #46
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

for a noob and just for a couple track days

would this be fine??
http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm/cid/1001004/pid/15033
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #47
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck84 View Post

would this be fine??
Read all the posts....

I had one (a one piece though) and it was a great suit. Especially for the cost.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #48
orchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck84 View Post

would this be fine??
Doesn't matter homey. Your gonna crash just like Ben Spies does, or anybody else for that matter.

When I was a noob, I said "I'll just pick me up a 2 peice Frank Thomas at cycle gear." Now I have all new shiney skin on my shoulder because of it!

I had enough contingency money from last year to get a Komodo so I got an FX suit. Went down cpl weeks ago at Hallet topping the hill after the .Not sure how fast I was going, top of 3rd gear. I know I was still moving pretty good when I hit the tire wall. Suit held up good. A little better than my Spidi f/ last year. It's the best off the rack suit I've ever been in. Support those who support your local racing scene.

Its your skin folks.

Oh.... and I just might know a guy that gets good deals on em, so hit me up if you need one.

Last edited by orchard; 05-22-2008 at 07:19 PM.
orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #49
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

I'm not a hugh Komodo fan, the suits are very heavy. They hold up well, but for the money you can get a custom Syed or even a Dianese. They are not cheap.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #50
Tobey

Bike(s):
SV650, Vulcan 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
no offense martin.....but we are healthy guys. i went with Syed leathers, and their leathers seem very durable. and ask anybody with syed leathers around the track, most of them have had their suit for over 10 years. their older stuff looks kinda funky, but the new stuff looks pretty decent.
I don't know you guys, but I'm no flyweight myself. I bought a used Spyke suit from a guy on this board. I'm 5'-10", and at 225, the suit fit pretty tight. At 205, it fits perfect. The previous owner went down in it at least once; one shoulder has a small hole and the arm is scuffed. He walked away uninjured, and I have no complaints after 2 track days.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:40 PM   #51
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
I'm not a hugh Komodo fan, the suits are very heavy. They hold up well, but for the money you can get a custom Syed or even a Dianese. They are not cheap.
+1

I'm all about supporting those that support the racers however. Still, I would sooner spend the cabbage on Syed (never again with "Dangcheesy" ) over Komodo.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:18 PM   #52
MotoNerdX
Thinks way too much

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha YZF-R1, 2007 Kawasaki Z1000

I really, really like my MotoGP Kangaroo leathers. The kangaroo leather is lighter and more flexible (for equal strength kangaroo doesn't have to be as thick as cows). I also stay pretty cool.

I read a magazine recently where a motojournalist went down in kangaroo leathers and he said they performed great.

"Kangaroo vs. Cow Hide
And I figured that as long as I was going all the way, I might as well do it right and use kangaroo skin, rather than cow hide.

Why kangaroo? It's supposed to be one of the strongest yet lightest leathers available. The Australian kangaroo industry conducted many studies on kangaroo leather, and they claim that the hides have a "highly uniform orientation of fiber bundles in parallel with the skin" that, along with the lack of sweat glands, gives kangaroo skin excellent abrasion resistance, which is perfect for motorcycle leathers.

Custom motorcycle leathers made from kangaroo skin are usually much lighter than their cow hide counterparts. The Lookwell one-piece suit weighs in at a hefty 10.5 pounds (size 56), compared to the GiMoto custom made kangaroo skin suit shown here at just a hair over 7 pounds, about 30% less. The weight difference is very noticeable when wearing or carrying the suits.

Sharp-eyed readers will realize that this is somewhat of an apples-to-oranges comparison, because the Lookwell size 56 suit has bunches of extra leather to begin with simply because it doesn't fit me as snugly as the GiMoto custom motorcycle leathers. A true weight comparison could only be found by having two identical custom suits made, one in cow hide and one in kangaroo.

Nevertheless, I'd guess that a kangaroo suit would weigh around 20-35% less than the same suit made from cow skin."

Source: http://www.webbikeworld.com/custom-motorcycle-leathers/

Last edited by MotoNerdX; 05-22-2008 at 11:22 PM.
MotoNerdX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:21 PM   #53
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
plus they are ugly as & fit like !
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #54
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Who has experience with Barnacle Bill products?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #55
lb3tx

Bike(s):
ZX10

The most important thing in my opinion is the fit. If you're not comfortable or fatigue more quickly you're much more likely to NEED the suit. I've worn a Komodo off the shelf and their torso seemed a bit shorter than other brands which left my boys gasping for air.

I ended up with a FieldSheer flex and am pleased with it's fit and how it held up on the pavement. My second get off busted about an inch of stitching in the shoulder but considering what shape my bike and helmet were in I'm quite pleased that I didn't need to buy a new suit.

If money isn't a consideration, go custom. Otherwise go with what fits you best.
lb3tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #56
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignmz04 View Post
Who has experience with Barnacle Bill products?
Most all of the WERA National guys. Probably the most popular suit in WERA. BB suits are on-par with Vanson and Syed.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #57
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNerdX View Post
I really, really like my MotoGP Kangaroo leathers. The kangaroo leather is lighter and more flexible (for equal strength kangaroo doesn't have to be as thick as cows). I also stay pretty cool.

I read a magazine recently where a motojournalist went down in kangaroo leathers and he said they performed great.

"Kangaroo vs. Cow Hide
And I figured that as long as I was going all the way, I might as well do it right and use kangaroo skin, rather than cow hide.

Why kangaroo? It's supposed to be one of the strongest yet lightest leathers available. The Australian kangaroo industry conducted many studies on kangaroo leather, and they claim that the hides have a "highly uniform orientation of fiber bundles in parallel with the skin" that, along with the lack of sweat glands, gives kangaroo skin excellent abrasion resistance, which is perfect for motorcycle leathers.

Custom motorcycle leathers made from kangaroo skin are usually much lighter than their cow hide counterparts. The Lookwell one-piece suit weighs in at a hefty 10.5 pounds (size 56), compared to the GiMoto custom made kangaroo skin suit shown here at just a hair over 7 pounds, about 30% less. The weight difference is very noticeable when wearing or carrying the suits.

Sharp-eyed readers will realize that this is somewhat of an apples-to-oranges comparison, because the Lookwell size 56 suit has bunches of extra leather to begin with simply because it doesn't fit me as snugly as the GiMoto custom motorcycle leathers. A true weight comparison could only be found by having two identical custom suits made, one in cow hide and one in kangaroo.

Nevertheless, I'd guess that a kangaroo suit would weigh around 20-35% less than the same suit made from cow skin."

Source: http://www.webbikeworld.com/custom-motorcycle-leathers/
Sorry dude motoGp stuff is junk. I trust my FT more than that $%@p
Old 05-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #58
MotoNerdX
Thinks way too much

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha YZF-R1, 2007 Kawasaki Z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Sorry dude motoGp stuff is junk. I trust my FT more than that $%@p
Other brands do do the 'roo hide also.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #59
[poser]
"the un-original"

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

Quote:
my adidas soccer cleat (copa mundial) I used playing soccer in college and high school are kangaroo. they're still in good shape and I wear them when playing softball or football even today.
they're 12 or 13 years old and I don't think they'd fit anyone's foot but mine
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #60
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Motogp stuff has a tendency to rip apart at the seams. Do a search on wera.

Advertisement