MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #21
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

My Frank Thomas leathers help up to a 60mph lowside. However, the seams did come apart in a mini crash (go figure). I probably wouldn't buy FT brand again.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track Leathers Question ThomasNinja650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 06-29-2010 10:30 AM
question about leathers mattj0206 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 06-30-2008 11:47 AM
new leathers witchdoctor575 General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 05-30-2008 06:48 AM
Question about leathers rental logan5 Motorcycles Unlimited 6 07-13-2007 08:29 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #22
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

I'm a bigger guy and like the way my joe rockets fit me. The shoulder did get worn through on my last crash, about a quarter size hole. I had it fixed for $40. I've lowsided a couple times in them and they have minimal rashing on them. Newer suits are softer. I say go around and try on a few to see how they are cut and what fits you well.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #23
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

i like my fieldsheer flex, fits comfortably for bigger people. only drawback is the flex parts rip alot easier. tony and i have both repaired ours after a few lowsides, the rips were always in the flex fabrics. i think houseofpain paid around 1600 for his custom syed. check with patrick, he can tell you what suit would fit best for your body style.
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #24
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Not concerned about contingency $...for a while but thanks for the vote of confidence

Even though I don't "want" to find out if they are re-usable I would prefer that they are.
I'm getting a new helmet as well mine is a bit funky after so many TDs and 50k on the street:/:
Might as well consider it. It pays out in may different ways.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #25
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Quote:
So far none of the responses have come from anyone who has even set foot on a track...nice(maybe orchard idk)
Did you not see that picture of me on my kick a$$ 250 at MSRH in my sig? For what it's worth ... I wear a one piece and it's a pain to go to the bathroom in... If I could do it over again I'd get a two piece. That being said... I wear a Vanson with the double zipper in the front, makes getting in and out a lot easier than the normal single zipper one piece.

I got mine used off of the craigslist.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #26
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
I'm a bigger guy and like the way my joe rockets fit me. The shoulder did get worn through on my last crash, about a quarter size hole. I had it fixed for $40. I've lowsided a couple times in them and they have minimal rashing on them. Newer suits are softer. I say go around and try on a few to see how they are cut and what fits you well.
Another joe rocket fan. I am telling you they are tough. On a budget I would get rockets or maybe teknics. If price is not an object then get Vanson's. They are really well made but a little $$$cy. I look every once in a while
for a good used deal on them.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #27
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Did you not see that picture of me on my kick a$$ 250 at MSRH in my sig? For what it's worth ... I wear a one piece and it's a pain to go to the bathroom in... If I could do it over again I'd get a two piece. That being said... I wear a Vanson with the double zipper in the front, makes getting in and out a lot easier than the normal single zipper one piece.

I got mine used off of the craigslist.
you won't too worried about using the restroom when that two piece comes apart in a crash. i'm not saying that it would, but the possibility is there. i'll take safety over comfort anyday.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #28
logan5

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

You have a point ... is there much experience with two pieces seperating in a get off?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #29
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
My track gear is currently alpinestars. I've had a 40 mph lowside, and the worst damage was to the a* logo. They hold up great, but I will tell you they don't fit me well. I'm kind of a big boy: 5'9" 210, and I had to stuff deflated soccer into the legs, and inflate them to stretch the thighs out before they fit right.

You owe it to yourself to try on a bunch of different brands as they're all cut differently. My next suit will be custom, and likely come from Syed.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #30
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
You have a point ... is there much experience with two pieces seperating in a get off?
My roommate got off at hallet at about 65mph on sunday in a 2-piece joe rocket setup. I'm pretty sure it wasn't even the full width zipper. He slid on track for a good 100 ft, and the 2-piece stayed together.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #31
pigpen
Radiator Wrecker

Bike(s):
2000 ZX-12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by [poser] View Post
I picked up a used Komodo suit recently, it seems really well build and has tons of armor and protection.
it may because I have a smaller upper body compaired to my legs but it just a little baggy in the upper body but the legs fit perfect, if I went down a size my legs wouldn't fit
I wouldnt say that I had a small upper body, but my Teknic 1-piece (lower end) fits the same way - it must be made for a rounder person . It fits much better when I wear my AS vest with chest and spine protectors under the leathers. The stitching between the leather and the stretch/vent areas insnt all that hot though - there is some minor unraveling. If I did more track riding, I'd look into a higher end suit.

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about!!!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #32
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Part of the reasoning behind the 1 peice is not only safety but comfort. My 2-peice makes my back protector move out of place and rubs the back of my neck making hard to move my head around.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #33
[poser]
"the un-original"

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
I wouldnt say that I had a small upper body, but my Teknic 1-piece (lower end) fits the same way - it must be made for a rounder person . It fits much better when I wear my AS vest with chest and spine protectors under the leathers. The stitching between the leather and the stretch/vent areas insnt all that hot though - there is some minor unraveling. If I did more track riding, I'd look into a higher end suit.
i guess they expect tall guys to be tall and heavy, I'm know light weight at 6'3" and 220 lbs, my chest and gut just aren't as big as some
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #34
jodyhudson

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrolr1 View Post
i have owned 2 spidi suits.. both have seen pavement.. both have held up excellent... fit and finish excellent... if at all possible try a few on.. just like helmets even the same sizes fit different with brands... my .02
my SPIDI leathers have held up thru 5 years of abuse. the pair i had before that were DAINESE. and a couple of VANSON suits before that. out of them all i like the SPIDI suit best. it fits really well for rack leathers and were extremely durable ! they've been thru at least 4-5 high speed get-offs and i still wear them today...

Last edited by jodyhudson; 05-22-2008 at 11:02 AM.
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #35
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I've gotten one feed back on the Arlen Ness gear(via pm). anyone else?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #36
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha429 View Post
i think houseofpain paid around 1600 for his custom syed.

he paid 1450 for the custom syed.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #37
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
I've gotten one feed back on the Arlen Ness gear(via pm). anyone else?
Not all that great for anybody outside of a beginner in my opinion.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #38
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

I think your best bet is to figure out what is going to work for you off the rack first and then narrow it down from those choices. It is possible nothing off the rack will work the way you want and that will further narrow your choices.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #39
OJgsxr

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to OJgsxr
I am currently using Alpine Stars 2 piece suit. I got it fitted at Motorcycles Unlimited and it fits like it is almost custom. I have crashed in it once and they survived very well and I came away with only a small scratch. I would highly recommend going to Motorcycles Unlimited to get sized you don't want to guess wrong.
OJgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #40
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

Quote:
Mine didn't (Joe Rocket)...and neither did Scott's (Teknic).

Advertisement