MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 02:09 AM   #41
Knightrider

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Blue

Send a message via Yahoo to Knightrider
FYI - USAA goes through Progressive for the motorcycle insurance...also the insurance discount is 10% like stated before (it defensive driving for motorcycles lol) but not all insurance companies offer the discount, progressive used to not and now they do
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looks like we have another "slow rolling crises". Lets all go raid Bass Pro! Flip Flop The Circus 2 05-03-2015 04:12 PM
Lets get another pro life/choice argument going flip326 Off Topic 47 04-04-2012 07:08 PM
pro stunt+pro twisty+pro offroad+pro bull fighter Din General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 12-26-2005 11:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #42
AWD
Cruise'n

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'06 600rr

Send a message via AIM to AWD Send a message via Yahoo to AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes40 View Post
lets say i don't wanna pay for it by choice, does that mean i shouldn't be here ?
what kinda fked members does this community have ? i choose freewill. if it gets me banned, so be it.

babosos.
Do what you gotta do dude. Just remember, nobody in this thread is perfect. "Pro's", preachers and teachers have and will screw up at one point or another. No amount of experience can keep you from death/injury when riding. happens.

Advice from other riders is nice and can be noted, but honestly, I would try to make it out to an MSF course. Good luck
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #43
Mic

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Send a message via AIM to Mic Send a message via MSN to Mic
I'd recommend that anyone that is interested in becoming a better rider get a hold of and read any one of the great motorcycling books that are already published. They have proven knowledge from years of experience and are a consistent source of good information.

Visualization is a key part of learning and spending time thinking about riding techniques while you are not on the bike can help for when you are on the bike.

I own both Sport Riding Techniques and Total Control. I usually reread Total Control once a month or so just to keep everything freshed in my mind. I love that book.

Edit: (Clicked Submit too early) I'm not saying that reading a book is a substitute for real world experience, but the more you think about proper riding techniques the better.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #44
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

I think it's a cool idea, I think there was already a thread like this and for the most part everyone pointed to MSF
Old 05-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #45
SVmike
nuthin'

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
Wouldn't taking the MSF course be a pro active step?:dontknow:

Nothing wrong with learning from other riders, you just have to be able to screen out all the bullsh!t. That can be tough to do if someone(either listener or "teacher") is just plain ignorant about the subject which then leads to misinformation being passed on.
If you really want to be self taught then go pick up a copy of the Tx.DPS Motorcycle Operator's Manual for starters. Here's a link if you don't have time to pick one up in person http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/dl-8.pdf

Last edited by SVmike; 05-22-2008 at 08:38 AM.
SVmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #46
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

90% of motorcycle DEATHS, are people who are self taught or taught by family and friends.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #47
SVmike
nuthin'

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
I should clarify. When I say there is nothing wrong with learning from other riders, I mean picking up a few pointers here and there not learning how to properly operate a motorcycle.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #48
AWD
Cruise'n

Bike(s):
'06 600rr

Send a message via AIM to AWD Send a message via Yahoo to AWD
moAr pics of your avatar plz. thnx.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #49
proxim2020
The First Stig

Bike(s):
2001 Honda F4i

I took my MSF and learned a ton. There was only one draw back, you never venture out on the public roads. You don't have to contend with things like cages, potholes, puddles on curves, etc in MSF classes. I'm not knocking it and I'd suggest that anyone thinking of riding take it because it can save your life. But sharing tips/techniques, stories, and maybe even a noob group ride would help a ton. After a few group rides, I learned a lot more that I didn't get a chance the learn in the class. Any wise noob would be all over the idea.
proxim2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #50
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

^ sounds like the Experienced Rider Course, talk about stuff, but also do exercises. $75 and about 5-6hrs.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #51
PHRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes40 View Post
lets say i don't wanna pay for it by choice, does that mean i shouldn't be here ?
what kinda fked members does this community have ? i choose freewill. if it gets me banned, so be it.

babosos.
whats your reason not to take msf? i cant think of a good one if you haven't taken the class already, even if you've been riding for awhile i'm pretty sure you'll pick up a few good tips. f*ked members? he's trying to point people in the safer direction and prevent less incidents.
PHRESH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #52
av8_r22

Bike(s):
2005 SV650S

How can anyone be against a discussion on safety? What the ...

A round-table discussion about technique and safety is going to teach someone SOMETHING, and most likely will get a bunch of opinions out there to think about. You see it a lot in the aviation community, and it benefits everyone.

Getting together and discussing technique is an excellent idea. Even if there are differing opinions about something like the correct technique. Let everyone express their opinions, and you can choose on your own which you agree with. There is no one way to ride a motorcycle, no best technique for every situation on every bike for every rider. A discussion on safety can only be a good thing, and might give some useful insight into the decision making process for a particular situation, and how different riders might approach it.

Start off with a disclaimer that it's a discussion, not a class, and when everyone understands that, you're golden.
av8_r22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement