MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #21
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Sounds like a neat idea to me

Maybe just a big group in a bike shop type atmosphere get together and have a big group discussion on different topics. I'm sure everyone knows atleast one thing each other person doesn't Plus a good group discussion may help spur some debate on why someone does something different than someone else and it should help keep the basics fresh in everyone's mind atleast for a while.

~Keith
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looks like we have another "slow rolling crises". Lets all go raid Bass Pro! Flip Flop The Circus 2 05-03-2015 04:12 PM
Lets get another pro life/choice argument going flip326 Off Topic 47 04-04-2012 07:08 PM
pro stunt+pro twisty+pro offroad+pro bull fighter Din General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 12-26-2005 11:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #22
hughes40
Staatsfeind Nr. 1

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R6
2003 Sv650
2003 CBR 600rr
2003 Katana -pos
Mongoose Circa 87

Send a message via MSN to hughes40 Send a message via Yahoo to hughes40 Send a message via Skype™ to hughes40
yeah . . thats' what i meant to relay. woot!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #23
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

No offense, but the OP is a self taught rider and had his 'friend' critique him about riding. Before you start calling the kettle black, why don't you take the MSF and see how much of a better rider you become? I guarantee it will help.

A lot of people here have bad habits when they ride so no one is in a position to 'teach.' The instructors at MSF are licensed and are in a position to teach this they cost money.

I like the idea, but not with some joe schmoe punk kid teaching me that I don't know is right and he doesn't know at all either... so, I will pass...
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #24
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Some newbies and oldies all need the refeshers! Some track people to talk about the track so on and so on. 1 every quarter big bar b que M&G all MH with enough planning and scheduling that mostly everyone can try to make it. Not just north south east or west side all of houston
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #25
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoMLA View Post
A lot of people here have bad habits when they ride so no one is in a position to 'teach.' The instructors at MSF are licensed and are in a position to teach this they cost money.

I like the idea, but not with some joe schmoe punk kid teaching me that I don't know is right and he doesn't know at all either... so, I will pass...
That's why I proposed it to be much more of a group discussion instead of a one person taught class.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 05-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #26
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
1 every quarter big bar b que M&G all MH with enough planning and scheduling that mostly everyone can try to make it. Not just north south east or west side all of houston
There's one of those just around the corner Check the BBQ thread
Old 05-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #27
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Got it THANKS! I must of over looked it, but now if we had 3 competent persons to give some sort of class at this bar b que 30 mins or so each. All MH is there and we eat and get edgemucated and mingle all in that day!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #28
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
or you could just go take the MSF class!!!! why are some of you so against it? are ya'll really that cheap? just an fyi, insurance companies give a 10% discount for taking the MSF, so the cost of the class literally pays for itself in less than a year for most riders.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #29
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

I took the MSF BUT I COULD STILL LEARN FROM OTHERS ------AMESOME CYCLES 373227
Old 05-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #30
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

and at $150 from a few diff schools, what do you have to loose?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #31
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Already taken April of 2007, so the question is, why are you so against the possibility of sharing knowledge between members in a controlled setting? Is the discount really 10%, I thought it varied and was generally pretty low?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #32
dasboot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2004 R1 - sold

listening...
dasboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #33
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
Already taken April of 2007, so the question is, why are you so against the possibility of sharing knowledge between members in a controlled setting? Is the discount really 10%, I thought it varied and was generally pretty low?
i already stated why i'm against it. most members here are NOWHERE near qualified to be teaching others how they should ride and protect themselves. all it will do is spread a bunch of bad habits and misinformation. leave teaching to the trained professionals who are certified!

and yes, with every major insurance company i have checked with, USAA, Geico, State Farm, AAA, Farmers, Progressive, Allstate, etc etc etc their discount for any state approved rider's education course, i.e. MSF, is 10%.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #34
hughes40
Staatsfeind Nr. 1

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R6
2003 Sv650
2003 CBR 600rr
2003 Katana -pos
Mongoose Circa 87

Send a message via MSN to hughes40 Send a message via Yahoo to hughes40 Send a message via Skype™ to hughes40
i'm not talking bout teaching anything to n e one, a discussion between a group of riders is all. M&G BBQ thats all.
i don't have the time and money for some course.
can you deal with that?
I'm sure its great if you have free time and cash, I don't have either.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #35
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes40 View Post
i'm not talking bout teaching anything to n e one, a discussion between a group of riders is all. M&G BBQ thats all.
i don't have the time and money for some course.
can you deal with that?
I'm sure its great if you have free time and cash, I don't have either.
if you can't afford 150 bucks to save your life, you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle. the money for the msf should've been saved before you even bought the bike.

and if you have time to organize a meet to "discuss" riding techniques, you can find the time to take the class. you're excuses for not taking the class won't mean when you're layin on the side of the road.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #36
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

EASY EASY EASY, I can understand both points but arguing on the forum and bashing each others ways is not gonna get ya'll anywhere! Let me ask this, who is the most knowlegeable on or off the forum in bike maint? Bike shop Tech? Who is the most knowlegeable in road safety? MSF instructor??? Who is the most knowlegeable in Tires???? Do you think getting info from M&G or rides is really the place to gain you riding knowledge? Other newbies hear say, older riders suggestions? hughes40 may hear from many different riders many different tactics, but won't find the real answers until he makes many different mistakes. SecretAgent many people can't afford what some can . I am not making a excuse but I am just thowing it out there that maybe this forum is getting big enough that MORE quality training while having fun can be accomplished when getting together. Just kick the bucket around! Lets find out what can help all of us riders go home the same way we left, and take it to another level. JMHO
Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #37
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

I know Patrick holds a basic maintnence class every once in a while. If you want to get together and do this, just post up a thread. If someone doesnt like it they dont have to come. I think flaming people that are trying to get together and discuss moto safety is pretty dumb. We can all learn from each other. Ive got a big garage we can use.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #38
kit_kat

take MSF... $150 is much cheaper then hospital bills
kit_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #39
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

heard this idea before, but I didn't go. I don't see what the big argument about MSF is, it isn't just about being cheap. If you want, you can take MSF and do this, it can't hurt. MSF is great and you can learn plenty, but in addition to 'learn from your mistakes' there is also 'learn from others mistakes'... I really don't understand why people have to get offensive about people wanting to trade some war stories and show off battle scars.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:48 AM   #40
hughes40
Staatsfeind Nr. 1

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R6
2003 Sv650
2003 CBR 600rr
2003 Katana -pos
Mongoose Circa 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
if you can't afford 150 bucks to save your life, you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle. the money for the msf should've been saved before you even bought the bike.

and if you have time to organize a meet to "discuss" riding techniques, you can find the time to take the class. you're excuses for not taking the class won't mean when you're layin on the side of the road.
lets say i don't wanna pay for it by choice, does that mean i shouldn't be here ?
what kinda fked members does this community have ? i choose freewill. if it gets me banned, so be it.

babosos.

Last edited by hughes40; 05-22-2008 at 01:51 AM.
hughes40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement