MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
kdub
Who needs > Two Wheels?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Tribal 600RR - Sold
Wide Glide - Harley - Sold
TTR90
SV1000
What to buy next.....Hmmmm

Where to drain coolant?

Track day coming up and I need to change antifreeze to non oily coolant. Dude at the cycle shop said to drain by the water pump. Where is the water pump on an 05 Honda 600rr? Should I flush the system with water before I add the other coolant? Thanks in advance for your help.
kdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
crush washers for coolant drain paniro187 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 02-20-2010 06:41 PM
Coolant Change crzy88 How To's and Q & A's 11 09-09-2009 10:01 PM
Coolant ???? lanzer913 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 07-05-2009 09:37 PM
coolant question quicksaveme How To's and Q & A's 16 02-22-2009 12:58 PM
how do I drain coolant on a 99 f4 ?? Silver Bullet How To's and Q & A's 7 06-02-2007 07:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

The water pump is on the left side, but you don't need to drain your anti-freeze just for a track day.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

On the R6 we found the lowest point in the system and disconnected the hose and flush that thing out. Worked like a charm.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
proxim2020
The First Stig

Bike(s):
2001 Honda F4i

The water pumps on the left like Pat said. Be sure to also drain the reserve tank also. Flush the system with distilled water (just to be safe) until it drains pretty clear. It took me 2 times. Then refill. Don't forget to bleed out the air.
proxim2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
kdub
Who needs > Two Wheels?

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Tribal 600RR - Sold
Wide Glide - Harley - Sold
TTR90
SV1000
What to buy next.....Hmmmm

Thanks for your help, I will get on it tonight.
kdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
strat1701
dainese poster boy

Bike(s):
06 ZX6R

I've done a few coolant changes, and I've never used distilled water. Yes I know it's reccomended, but riddle me this? Do you really think that the dealerships get distilled water to flush out systems when they perform coolant changes? My money's on no. Coolant changes aren't hard, just creates a lot of mess and liquid waste. I use some hot water, pour it in till it's clear. Never had any issues so far. I have heard that if you are going to be changing coolants to water wetter and you've been using the glycol based coolants, (like your stock types) it is imperative that you completely flush out all evidence of the glycol based coolant. You don't want any residue in there.
strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Ya I looked at waterwetter but you have to drain it before winter since it will freeze. I choose Engine Ice and it works great and year round.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
jeswin

Bike(s):
'05 Yamaha R6

I obviously cannot speak for track days because they sometimes ban the use of glycol based coolants... so u're stuck with clean H20 or Redline Water Wetter... or something similar

However... out on the street.... I can recommend Maxima Coolanol if you want a motorcycle based antifreeze and not comfortable with Prestone or something like that...

although I hear that if you buy the Prestone which states that it is suitable for aluminum engines it should be fine for motorcycles.... the way I see it... I'm not gonna take a risk of damaging my bike for the sake of saving 5 bucks... to each his own I guess!
jeswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
strat1701
dainese poster boy

Bike(s):
06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
Ya I looked at waterwetter but you have to drain it before winter since it will freeze. I choose Engine Ice and it works great and year round.

I use engine ice as well. It's approved by most tracks too. While I don't see the massive drop in temperatures, it does ok in my book.
strat1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #10
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat1701 View Post
I use engine ice as well. It's approved by most tracks too. While I don't see the massive drop in temperatures, it does ok in my book.
Ya I don't get the claimed difference. In fact I don't see much of a difference. But it does its job and that's all I'm worried about.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
proxim2020
The First Stig

Bike(s):
2001 Honda F4i

I put water wetter in my bike a couple weeks back and I'm getting the massive drops, actually better than advertised. I commute and got tired of hot air blowing on my constantly. I used to run about 220-227 at a stand still and in slow traffic and 210-220 at about 70+. Now I still run 220-227 at a stand still, but run 215-220 in slow traffic (15-30mph) and 175-198 in 70+ As soon as I get a little air down there, the temp falls in chunks. A lot other guys are using Radiator Relief by DEI and supposedly it's better. It's supposed to have some type of anti foam agent that makes it better.
proxim2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement