MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #21
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo View Post
Is the lojack worth it? I was told no, but to me its logical. I just moved it to a apartment complex and I keep it garaged, anyone had a problem with someone breaking into a garage and taking a bike?
Yes MooCBR1000 had his sv stolen from an apartment garage. The problem is: everyone knows your business so you are an easy target. Apartments really suck for motorcycles. Lowjack is not perfect, too. I can't tell you how many threads I have seen where people are counting on lowjack with no return in sight. Full coverage insurance is the best way to go on this one.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Professional moto theft ring 51 arrested $840k + recovered r6racer General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 12-20-2013 10:44 PM
★Moto Insurance, Moto-Houston.com t-shirts are in.. TnTEntR1 Moto Insurance 2 05-22-2011 01:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #22
elmo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

I was reading up on the new one at Motorcycles Unlimited, the remote sounds like a good idea. They had some statistic about 97% being recovered in the first 24 hours and 100% being recovered at all. Not sure if this is true, but sounds like a good investment anyway.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #23
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:
Is the lojack worth it? I was told no, but to me its logical. I just moved it to a apartment complex and I keep it garaged, anyone had a problem with someone breaking into a garage and taking a bike?
NO lojack sux. if 2 guys roll up and throw ur bike in the back of there truck and take off, go home and tear it apart to scrap the motor and other parts (which they do all the time) yeah lojack can get ur bike back no problem. do u still want it back??? full coverage insurance, and buy an alarm if u want
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:47 PM   #24
elmo

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
NO lojack sux. if 2 guys roll up and throw ur bike in the back of there truck and take off, go home and tear it apart to scrap the motor and other parts (which they do all the time) yeah lojack can get ur bike back no problem. do u still want it back??? full coverage insurance, and buy an alarm if u want
*sigh* So theft insurance is a must... and what about disc brake locks when your out? or alarm? sorry all my past bikes were and used, this is my first "new" one.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:47 PM   #25
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Yes MooCBR1000 had his sv stolen from an apartment garage. The problem is: everyone knows your business so you are an easy target. Apartments really suck for motorcycles. Lowjack is not perfect, too. I can't tell you how many threads I have seen where people are counting on lowjack with no return in sight. Full coverage insurance is the best way to go on this one.
word.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #26
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Quote:
*sigh* So theft insurance is a must... and what about disc brake locks when your out? or alarm? sorry all my past bikes were and used, this is my first "new" one.
yuup disc locks r good too, i got 2 on my bike and i sleep good at night
Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #27
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

just dont forget to take them off lol
Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #28
elmo

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

haha yeah, that would suck. thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #29
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Those will help, but if they want it there is nothing to stop them from taking it. The easiest way now is with a matress. They roll up on your bike put down a matress, tip your bike on it, and throw the whole thing in the back of a van. Takes about 30 seconds and two big dudes. Insurance 1st, chains locks alarms 2nd, lowjack 3rd. But if you want to be sure. Park your baby in your apartment. Done and done.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 PM   #30
elmo

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Those will help, but if they want it there is nothing to stop them from taking it. The easiest way now is with a matress. They roll up on your bike put down a matress, tip your bike on it, and throw the whole thing in the back of a van. Takes about 30 seconds and two big dudes. Insurance 1st, chains locks alarms 2nd, lowjack 3rd. But if you want to be sure. Park your baby in your apartment. Done and done.
clever bastards, I park it in a garage and my truck in front of it blocking it off, but when I leave, only thing blocking it is a thin sheet metal, but I do lock it to a structural beam, hope this will help a little. but like you said, if they want it they will take it
Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #31
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Member Garage

Park it in the apartment and buy a firearm. Best solution.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:39 PM   #32
leehom

I live in a home, so that shouldn't be a problem. I was concerned about theft in public area's like the mall, school, work etc.

I'm a newbie heavily considering purchasing a bike soon. If I do, I'm sold on a new Kawasaki Ninja 250R. Is this model popular to thieves? I might consider purchasing a used bike if it's less likely to be stolen.
leehom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #33
Ogre
Ancient one

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Blackbird

If any apartment dwellers are concerned about their rides being stolen, I can offer space for a newer 1K and up sport bike in my very nice, secure country garage, free of charge. Understand that you will need to leave me a key and that I may need to move it on occasion, you know, just so that I can get to other things in my garage, etc. Oh, and I'll need to be listed as a rider on your insurance policy, but that's just for your protection...

In all seriousness, if someone needs temp storage while their on vaca, moving, etc. I'd be happy to put it up short term, even without the joyrides.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #34
Gimpin2Fold
Wake up already

useless thread, saw the title, yes it is, case shut, no need to read it all, leave your bike, pretty boy got it
Gimpin2Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:48 AM   #35
Ogre
Ancient one

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpin2Fold View Post
useless thread, saw the title, yes it is, case shut, no need to read it all, leave your bike, pretty boy got it
Why would you make such a comment? A new member had a question regarding theft and he got the answers he sought. Then you come in here and declare his thread useless and give a pointless response that only duplicates what has already been communicated. What was "useful" in your post? What were you trying to accomplish with it? Are you the self-appointed arbiter of topical value now that they've asked you to stop ranting on people's sale threads?
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #36
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

who here wants to ask me if Lojack works?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:09 AM   #37
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Really?

With a 97% recovery rate within the first 24 hours, that truly DOES NOT suck.

With a 100% recovery rate in the Houston area in the last year and a half, that truly DOES NOT suck

Lojack is:

The only stolen vehicle recovery system operated by the Police

Has helped break up 76 motorcycle theft rings

LoJack has helped to recover more than $2.8 million in motorcycle assets in the U.S. alone.

With the new LoJack Early Warning Recovery System it provides an added layer of protection for your motorcycle.

The LoJack Early Warning Recovery System notifies you directly if your bike is moved without your authorization. LoJack Early Warning will alert you by phone, e-mail and/or pager so you can quickly check on the status of your motorcycle.

Lastly, and here's the thing; There is a 24-hour money back warranty; if your motorcycle is stolen within a LoJack coverage area and is not recovered within 24-hours, LoJack will refund to you the purchase price of the LoJack unit up to $595, not including installation costs incurred by your dealer.
That's putting your money where your mouth is.

IMO, Lojack should not be a substitute for theft insurance, but a means of recovery IF something were to happen.

The majority of the recovered bikes that I know of were returned whole and intact.

Azylum, tell them how many times your bike was recovered, untouched.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #38
Charly2626
Charly

Bike(s):
02' Yamaha R6

my bike was stolen

my bike was just stolen last night. i had it chained up to my staircase and they cut the chain and i guess carried it somewhere. that was my transportation to work. the police told me that they have a high bike theft rate right now. gave me some about its gods way of telling me i shouldn't have a bike.... his way of saying he can't do about it without looking bad. i am a single mom of four kids and i am going to miss my bike in more ways than one. There is no way I can afford to get another one.

If yall see one that looks like the one in the pic please let someone know its STOLEN
Charly2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #39
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I'm very sorry to hear about your bike.
I hope they can find it.

Which brings me to another reason I like LoJack, it helps find the p.o.s. thieves that steal bikes and puts them away.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #40
Mic