MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Question About Selling a Bike

Is it legal to sell a bike that is not titled in your name, but you legally own? Say you buy a bike for the sole purpose of re-selling, or you buy a bike then a week later(before you had time to register it) you run into financial trouble, are you allowed to sell it without waisting your time and money transferring it into your name? Assuming the title as well as a bill of sale is signed and dated by the original owner and your buyer could just fill out the rest; you're essentially acting as a middle man between the original seller and the new buyer. TX DMV page says to check with local authorities to see if it is legal in your area. What I don't understand is it would be state law whether you could or not, anyone know the answer?

~Keith

PS: I am NOT selling the R6
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike Selling Question morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 12-08-2011 12:12 PM
just a question about selling a motor casey10 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 02-09-2010 11:55 AM
Question about Selling ASAP! Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 07-19-2008 11:11 AM
question about selling a motorcycle chasee69 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 06-10-2008 12:39 PM
a question about selling a motorcycle cyclesnoopy General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 05-31-2008 08:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
sixshooter1125
Shiver me timbers

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 Harley Roadking
2007 CRF450r
2005 CR125r
2004 R6 *sold*
2001 xr50

I was bout to say!! Keith not again!!
sixshooter1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Probably a useless reply by me but I sold one that wasn't titled in my name. I had the application for title from the previous transaction. The seller only filled out his part and just signed the title.

When I sold it my buyer just filled in his information. No problem.

When I bought one that was not titled in the sellers name I went to the tax office I showed the lady the bill of sale and she pused it back to me real quick and said "I dont need this". Same situation. The buyer portion was not filled out on the app. for title. Only the sellers information.

I think it she didn't want to see it to be honest. May have caused problems. I do know that a dealer will NOT purchase a bike that is not titled in your name. Blue title in hand or not. They say there is a fine associated with doing that.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

there are also disclaimers on the app for title that talk about penalties of perjury and whatnot. So....that leads me to belive it is not legal but also not enforced.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
there are also disclaimers on the app for title that talk about penalties of perjury and whatnot. So....that leads me to belive it is not legal but also not enforced.
None of them address this issue. I would expect it to be legal as long as you had possession of the vehicle and obtained it legally. It's yours to sell, they shouldn't be able to restrict it. But I know Wisconsin law clearly states that the title must be in your name in order to sell the vehicle. The reason I ask: I bought a bike a while back from a member here. Sold it a couple months later. He just called asking me why I am racking up toll tickets... I explain that I already sold the bike and the new owner must be blowing tolls. He's going to send the paperwork saying I bought the bike, then I'm sure the tickets will come here. At which time, I'll send the paperwork saying I sold the bike. Are they going to say anything to me since I didn't register it in my name? Also, will it affect the new owner when he goes to register it now that they will have it on record that it went through a 3rd party before he got it?
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 05-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Here is the only thing I could find:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transportation Code
ß 501.071. SALE OF VEHICLE; TRANSFER OF TITLE.
(a) Except as provided in Section 503.039, a motor vehicle may not
be the subject of a subsequent sale unless the owner designated in
the certificate of title transfers the certificate of title at the
time of the sale.
It's not very clear but I think it's saying that it is NOT legal :/:

There are no penalties listed under the code for violation but later on it says if any parts of the code are violated the title cannot be transferred until they are met. I still feel like I'm missing something.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

I'v done it. bought and sold that way.

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Ogre
Ancient one

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Middleman eh? Me thinks the state would call it being an "unlicensed dealer"

Doing the transaction as you describe would cut Mr. Perry out of his share of the transaction. Most activities which involve the state not receiving what it deems to be its fair share (i.e., the sale tax and fees due on each transfer) are deemed illegal. Just my opinion...
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Middleman eh? Me thinks the state would call it being an "unlicensed dealer"
There is something in the law adressing this to the effect of "...as long as you have less than 5 transfers per year..."

Advertisement