MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
dang chris i like the bike when it was red and white.
werd. what was you thinking?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old-school sport bikes Gixxerguy86 Vintage / Cafe Racers 34 11-24-2016 07:01 PM
Older Sport Bike Owners? 768MPH General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 08-30-2014 09:59 PM
Sport bikes Vs. Cruisers FowleR6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 59 11-07-2012 07:50 PM
Busted speeding... 86 on a 70... No Endorsement bikes get towed?! WTF since when!! TeleRomeo General Discussion (Moto Related) 111 09-30-2009 02:28 AM
Starter Sport Bikes....which.... Slingblade92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 04-05-2006 10:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #22
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
werd. what was you thinking?
He was thinking Riaz (who has the most awesome man meat on the planet) said paint it black....

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #23
Azylum
The Chosen One

this thread is just getting gayer and gayer....
Old 05-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #24
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
Quote:
this thread is just getting gayer and gayer....
Only cause you are posting in it. We are manly men here...not frilly girly mens

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #25
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexualChocolate View Post
Only cause you are posting in it. We are manly men here...not frilly girly mens
ya ok. keep thinking that....man meat......
Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #26
txferrari
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

User is banned

txferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #27
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Get it!! Ahhh, bringing back the memories..... I remember when these new crop of sportbikes (as we know them today) came out. I was in HS, and what an era that was!!

My friend bought a 750 Interceptor, and that bike, along with the Suzuki GSXR started it all. Especially in that decade, the Big 4 were just goin' at each other year after year!! The 700 was actually a USA version of the 750VFR. Honda had to trim it down due to the high tarriffs placed on imports (to save Harley Davidson's *ss) over 700cc. That's why even the Nighthawk S was limited to 700cc as well.

The 750 and 700 were otherwise basicly the same. I think both were available at the same time, but the 700 was alot cheaper, and barely held an edge over the Nighthawk S. So if you had the money, you got the 750. I was (and still am) a big '80s Nighthawk fan, but that VFR was awesome!!! I'm gonna envy you bigtime if you get this bike!!
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #28
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Old 05-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #29
Azylum
The Chosen One

oh snap!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #30
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I loved that bike.

That accident made me wake up and realize I shouldnt be hauling on the street anymore....and what can happen.

TRACK FTMFW!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #31
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
Get it!! Ahhh, bringing back the memories..... I remember when these new crop of sportbikes (as we know them today) came out. I was in HS, and what an era that was!!

My friend bought a 750 Interceptor, and that bike, along with the Suzuki GSXR started it all. Especially in that decade, the Big 4 were just goin' at each other year after year!! The 700 was actually a USA version of the 750VFR. Honda had to trim it down due to the high tarriffs placed on imports (to save Harley Davidson's *ss) over 700cc. That's why even the Nighthawk S was limited to 700cc as well.

The 750 and 700 were otherwise basicly the same. I think both were available at the same time, but the 700 was alot cheaper, and barely held an edge over the Nighthawk S. So if you had the money, you got the 750. I was (and still am) a big '80s Nighthawk fan, but that VFR was awesome!!! I'm gonna envy you bigtime if you get this bike!!
Thank you flipside, very informative post. I will have to check it out.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #32
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
88-91 gsxr 750's and 1100's FTW!
No kiddin'

If I recall correctly, those bikes dominated the track in the late '80s. They were definitely the most aggressive along with the FZRs.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #33
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...RC-30-89729725

looks like the same guy selling a RC30
Old 05-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #34
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:

that bike is SEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXYYYYYYYYYYYY. wish i had 30grand to just throw around.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #35
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
I was and still am up in the air... either cruiser or an older sport bike like the ones posted above
not likin' the ol ninja or keeping it?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #36
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
I found an '86 VFR 700 and I am curious. Any input on this model? I know it is gear driven. In decent shape. I am the same way about cars, so maybe it is just me. Is this a mechanically reliable bike?
You might find this intresting Cogs
Quote:
How did Honda do it? Back in 1986 when the VFR750 was first introduced Honda was on the slippery slope to motorcycle oblivion.
They had proved to one and all that they couldn't make a reliable V4 engine. The early eighties V4 engined models, the VF500 and VF750, both blew up if ridden hard, and wore cam chains out at an alarming rate regardless Honda's in line four cylinder bikes were failing in comparison to faster rivals from Suzuki, and more reliable bikes from Kawasaki. The smaller bikes in the range were dying a death too, Yamaha and new Italian manufacturers taking over Honda's bread and butter market with aplomb.

In short the big H's motorcycle arm was in big trouble.
Then along came the VFR 750 and everything changed. The first models were C registered 86 bikes, and featured a more powerful 100hp engine, 16" front wheel, the camchain faults fixed through expensive gear driven cams, a nice looking four into two exhaust, and powerful (for the time) twin pot disc brakes all round.

The first time I ever saw one was on BBC TV, in fact the old Grandstand sports program on a Saturday afternoon. Racing legend Ron Haslam was taking part in the old Europe vs. America challenge race series called the Transatlantic Challenge, and his race bike had gone AWOL. The legend has it that Honda unpacked a brand new (dark blue) VFR 750 for him to ride in the race. You could easily spot it on TV, no bright paint job, not even any stickers. He hadn't qualified, and as a consequence he started from the back of the grid. Against full race machinery this standard road bike starting from the back should have had absolutely no chance, no more than someone driving a Ford Mondeo at the back of a Formula 1 car race.
In this fairy tale sadly Ron didn't come from the back and win, but his standard road bike passed all but three bikes in the race, and was gaining on them at the end. It was unbelievable riding talent, but everyone knew right then that the VFR750 was a serious machine. For Rocket Ron to beat the best riders of the day was amazing, to do it on a road bike straight from the crate was unbelievable. The queues at Honda dealers started on the Monday after the race, and Honda are effectively still selling the bike now nearly 20 years later in modified 800cc form.

So what made it so good?
Simply put, Honda bet the house on it. They massively over engineered every component at huge expense, gambling that one great motorcycle would rescue the company's failing image. For example, the engine is very expensive to produce, the gear driven cams cost many times what a simple chain driven equivalent would to manufacture, it is the only production bike that uses them as a result. The same logic was applied to frame and chassis. The beam alloy frame on the first FG 86 models looks like a work of art and compared to the tubular steel efforts from rivals at the time was lighter, more rigid, and much nicer to look at. The alloy welds are perfect. A hydraulic clutch was fitted, smoother compared to cables on rival machines. This over engineering exercise meant that the development costs of the VFR were huge, and in order to recover some of the investment the VFR had to be expensive in comparison to its peers of the time.

The gamble worked though, enormous numbers of the VFR sold worldwide in 1986. The sales success was so strong that Honda did not modify the bike at all for the FH 87 model year, the first modifications coming in 1988 when 17" wheels front and rear were brought in, along with updated colours (red, white, or black) and some minor changes to the plastics. Again this model sold for two years, the first major revamp taking place in 1990.
The early VFR was so successful that Honda themselevs made a copy! The NSR125 mimicked the styling and colour schemes of the original VFRs so that aspiring learners restricted to 125cc could get in on the VFR act.

During 1988 the VFR became the basis for the most successful race bike of all time, the VFR750R, internally designated the RC30. Based closely on the VFR's engine, the RC30 was an out and out race bike that was road legal for homologation purposes. On a fast uncrowded road the RC30 is simply magical, on a crowded one it's hellish. It is geared for a somewhat ridiculous 94mph at the redline in 1st gear.... Standard RC30s fetch a mint and are collector's items, most went straight to the race track, where they won every major production race bike series for the next three years, including Fred Merkel winning the inaugural World Superbike series.
In 1990 the VFR got a major facelift, a single sided swing arm was added, the engine was revised in line with knowledge gained from the RC30 (firing order was now 360 degrees instead of 180), and the bikes was made larger and heavier. This model (the FL in 1990) continued with mainly cosmetic changes until the end of model life at the FV model in 1997. Cosmetic changes in this time almost always added to the weight, without adding extra horsepower. The FV model with twin headlights is probably the best looking of the VFRs, its style is still current even now 9 years later.

Some (me included) say the VFR lost its way a little in 1990, and that the best models to own were the full powered light weight FJ (1988) and FK (1989) models with the 17" wheels and close to the original body styling.
The FJ and FK are identical in every discernible way, so are effectively the same motorcycle. They have a claimed 105bhp output compared to the FV model's claimed 97.5bhp. Combined with a dry weight of 440lbs this delivers a power to weight ratio of 525bhp per tonne, pretty impressive even now. The FJ and FK models are also the cheapest to run, they manage the best fuel economy at around 45mpg, and have the lowest service costs too. The smallish but grippy tyres also help to keep costs in the real world. Having tried most brands on a VFR at some point I would recommend Michelin Macadam radials, the standard sizes are 110 front and 140 rear. The rear can be taken up to 150 without any hassle; these are easier to find in current tyre ranges. I used to manage around 8,000 miles for a rear and 10,000 miles for a front on Michelins. Bridgestone now get rave reviews in comparison, but I haven't tried them on a VFR yet.

Performance
Top speed is around 150mph from FJ / FK, and about 145 mph from later bikes. Rapid and torquey acceleration from the V4 engine makes overtaking not something to worry about. The VFR is not up with current sports bikes in terms of out and out performance, but if the VFR is ridden well it should be at least able to keep up with tackle 15 years younger. This can be great fun... if a little disturbing for the rider on the newer machine. The VFRs are not in Yamaha R1 territory on a track though, but A-B on real world roads are probably quicker.

The engine has a flat torque curve up to 8000 revs, at which point it remembers its a multi and takes off like scalded cat. This split personality can make progress very rapid, or very relaxed depending on your mood, a perfect compromise between fast and friendly.
Handling

Relaxed rather than razor, but secure even in the wet nonetheless. The VFR is soft enough for comfort but hard enough for spirited riding when the mood takes you. Again it strikes a perfect balance between the two opposing requirements.
What goes wrong?

Not much is the answer to this one. The VFRs tend to fail more due to abuse that reliability. Falling off is expensive as the plastic breaks, and cheapskates tend not to get the bikes properly repaired. Mechanically as long as there is oil and water in the engine the VFR will keep going. I know of several older models that have passed 200,000 miles without major failures.
The exhaust collector box is a weak spot through rust, as are the downpipes which also rot. The electric fuel pump occasionally fails and is expensive to replace, and I have heard of CDI unit and alternator failure but this is very rare. The last common fault is the discs which are prone to warping when worn. Pattern discs are available but wear much quicker than the standard ones, and will warp much more easily as a consequence. And that's it... the VFR is exceptionally reliable if well maintained.
Buying one

Lots about, ranging from real nails (I've got one in the garage if anyone's interested!) to minters that have done less than 10,000 miles and have been kept in a heated garage. A reasonable FH-FK model should cost around 600-1000 and FL/FM a little more at between 1400 and 1700. Later models can still fetch up to 4k at a dealer, and absolute mint low mileage examples can still fetch even more. The best option for me would be to find a very good condition 1989 FK model at around 1000-1200. These bikes simply do not depreciate at all, keep it tidy and it will be worth what you paid for it or more in five years time! Try that with a Mondeo!
Maintenance

Maintenance is easy, 10W40 oil, cartridge oil filter, air filter under the tank, check the coolant levels, and once every 20,000 miles take it to a dealer to have the valve clearances done and the carburettors balanced.
Technical Data

Sorry, do a web search. Technical data can be found everywhere and I don't see what's to be gained apart from the items included above. If the bore and stroke makes a difference to you then you're from a different mould to me...
Summary

Simply the best road bike ever made. If you haven't had one yet, go and buy one now. You'll love it.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #37
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

older 87/88 honda hurricanes are cool...

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #38
Azylum
The Chosen One

you can do what this guy is doing:

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/pic...eady-ride.html

and heres a vid of it running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2RnqCFF5cs

his little project is turning out to be pretty sick.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #39
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Quote:

i want an rc30 and 45 badly.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #40
bignmz04
My better is better

Bike(s):
too many to list. but dreaming and waiting on the ktm RC8.

Send a message via AIM to bignmz04 Send a message via Yahoo to bignmz04
Quote:
you can do what this guy is doing:

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/pic...eady-ride.html

and heres a vid of it running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2RnqCFF5cs

his little project is turning out to be pretty sick.
thats bad . ducati tail swing arm, ducati rear wheel with brake and sproket., new forks, vortex rearsets, clipons.

Advertisement