MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #61
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):

if your gonna brake mid corner, why the would you only use the front? if you think about it that WOULD upset the suspension since the front is loading up anyway, if you apply slight amount of rear brake with it both shocks would compress the same amount and there wouldnt be a shift of weight all to the front tire, (thoughts on this? this is just my theory)
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to corner and brake on a sport bike. omer General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 12-16-2010 10:44 PM
Covering your front brakes and clutch logan5 Taking it to the Track 9 08-10-2009 01:30 PM
Debate (& Poll): Covering the Front Brakes FlipSideUp General Discussion (Moto Related) 55 10-08-2007 03:10 PM
Try the front brake... Steve O Chap General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 04-30-2006 06:05 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #62
you da man

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
and he has a good looking woman
or that's his mom.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #63
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty View Post
if your gonna brake mid corner, why the would you only use the front? if you think about it that WOULD upset the suspension since the front is loading up anyway, if you apply slight amount of rear brake with it both shocks would compress the same amount and there wouldnt be a shift of weight all to the front tire, (thoughts on this? this is just my theory)
we think your full of . and besides by usung the front brake your compressing the forks more which makes the wheelbase shorter which allows the bike to carve the corner better

with an avatar like yours i doubt anyone is gonna listen to your terrorist

Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #64
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
we think your full of . and besides by using the front brake your compressing the forks more which makes the wheelbase shorter which allows the bike to carve the corner better

level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #65
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
we think your full of . and besides by usung the front brake your compressing the forks more which makes the wheelbase shorter which allows the bike to carve the corner better

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!...
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #66
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
henry.....i haven't forgotten, i still owe you a beer and a meal next time we hit up chili's at cresson!

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #67
GsxrStar
drama patrol

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 750

Send a message via AIM to GsxrStar
Quote:

Old 05-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #68
Buck Nasty
-playboy-

Bike(s):

Quote:

lol thanks for chiming in, remember 2 things. First, this terrorist is a few laps ahead of you when we hit the parties, even though your the mr. badass topgun of cmra

numero dos - using front brake only mid corner is putting extra load on the front end when your already leaned over all the way, the rear brake would distribute the weight front to back evenly keeping the bike planted.

so stfu anyway which your little baby class toddler trophy . Man up and jump in big bike class . BTW maverick i still have all your gear here and your suit is ready drop by and pick this up
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #69
NOsquid

Slowing down puts more weight on the front, even if you're just using the rear brake. Just letting off the throttle quickly puts weight on the front. You're never going to have an even weight distribution on the brakes, unless you brake like a *****

The main reason not to use the rear (IMO) is that it's a LOT more prone to lock and a LOT less powerful. And trailing it into right hand corners would get ugly. You can go fast without it (Schwantz--"Used it twice in GP. Crashed twice."). Basically it's your choice to make, some really fast people do use it, some don't. Personally you couldn't pay me enough to try to trail the rear brake into a fast corner. Using it upright I'd consider, but still more trouble than it's worth IMHO. Probably most useful at high speeds, and I don't have that issue on an SV.

I used to cover the front at all times when I rode on the street, at the track I prefer to put all fingers back on the throttle when I'm done braking, I'm smoother that way.
NOsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #70
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:

hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #71
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
Stoner uses just the middle as well
So does Tiller1k...I just saw it in his pics from GSS
Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #72
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty View Post
lol thanks for chiming in, remember 2 things. First, this terrorist is a few laps ahead of you when we hit the parties, even though your the mr. badass topgun of cmra

numero dos - using front brake only mid corner is putting extra load on the front end when your already leaned over all the way, the rear brake would distribute the weight front to back evenly keeping the bike planted.

so stfu anyway which your little baby class toddler trophy . Man up and jump in big bike class . BTW maverick i still have all your gear here and your suit is ready drop by and pick this up
You think too much.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #73
J lo
I am who U say I am

F... Jody and his militant azz opinions..... as for the rest of you so called "racers" they are all doing it WRONG.

All this talk about covering brakes... bla bla bla Brakes just make you SLOW down. Take em off, get rid of em all together.

If you’re not using "the Jedi force" to get around the track than you are ALL wrong.

, I close my eyes and rarely drop the second hand onto the bars. It's more thrilling that way, kinda like riding a bull. You don't get mad skills like that in any classroom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.11.08 turn 10 # 3 compressed.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	12011

IF YOUR NOT FIRST, YOUR LAST

Jerrel
J lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #74
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by J lo View Post

F... Jody and his militant azz opinions..... as for the rest of you so called "racers" they are all doing it WRONG.

All this talk about covering brakes... bla bla bla Brakes just make you SLOW down. Take em off, get rid of em all together.

If you’re not using "the Jedi force" to get around the track than you are ALL wrong.

, I close my eyes and rarely drop the second hand onto the bars. It's more thrilling that way, kinda like riding a bull. You don't get mad skills like that in any classroom.

Attachment 12011

IF YOUR NOT FIRST, YOUR LAST

Jerrel
AHHHHHH... THAT EXPLAINS WHY UR SO FUKIN SLOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #75
J lo
I am who U say I am

exactly........
Old 05-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #76
J lo
I am who U say I am

ya, you may be fast on the flat surfaces. Heads up, same bike. You give me a downhill and a tailwind and I will smoke you any day.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #77
[poser]
"the un-original"

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

ok, so I'm getting that you really never use the rear brake on the track (I haven't riden the track yet)
for some reason, when braking into a turn I always let off the front brake as I lean over and ease the rear brake if I need to slow down more. I kinda transition from front brake to rear brake and then get on the gas.
is this wrong?
I guess I'm a little gun shy on the street as I have had the front come out from under neither me twice due to front braking mid turn and there being dirt or gravel on the road.
so next month when I do my first track day I shouldn't worry about using the rear brake at all?
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #78
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
I gotta have my brakes. I tried it without it at TWS (Texas World Speedway) this past Sat. and it felt weird and lost. Almost hit someone in t10 because he slowed down lucky for me for covering the brake.
No doubt I was following some dude in the bus stop at houston and he stopped mid corner too. I hit the brakes pretty hard and only stood up just a little and it still didn't wash the front.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #79
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by [poser] View Post
ok, so I'm getting that you really never use the rear brake on the track (I haven't riden the track yet)
for some reason, when braking into a turn I always let off the front brake as I lean over and ease the rear brake if I need to slow down more. I kinda transition from front brake to rear brake and then get on the gas.
is this wrong?
I guess I'm a little gun shy on the street as I have had the front come out from under neither me twice due to front braking mid turn and there being dirt or gravel on the road.
so next month when I do my first track day I shouldn't worry about using the rear brake at all?
I never use the rear brake on the track. With that said, trail braking not only puts more demand on the front tire, it also puts more demand on your suspension.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #80
qumanramos
?

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
02 GSXR Hybrid 1000

don't you guys watch nascar?
qumanramos is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement