MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
pbjsammich

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

Good and easy trail riding around Houston...

I'm new to Houston and my fiancee has expressed some interest in learning to ride. I've decided to start her out on a cheap dirtbike (gives me an excuse to pick up another one) and get her comfortable in the dirt before she hits the street.

Been reading up on the Sam Houston National Forest. Sounds perfect but I'm curious how difficult the trails are out there? And also how much "traffic" you hit on the trails?

Any other suggestions for light trail riding around Houston?

Any input is appreciated!!
Ken
pbjsammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YZ125 for trail riding Agent216 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 21 03-22-2015 03:45 PM
Trail riding in tomball vid. TheMagicMan General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 09-17-2009 12:30 PM
Easy Daily work out with Good results so far. darktoy02 Health and Fitness 12 09-14-2009 10:37 AM
Trail riding gear?? Scorpio Gear Talk 15 10-01-2008 11:11 AM
Where can I ride easy trail riding? Denee Forum Updates & Feedback 35 06-11-2006 08:06 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Street Ninja
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

Looks like a cool place....had a privately owned place like this in San Antonio where I used to ride.

Do they let potential new members out for a free or paid one time visit?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
infidel
drpickles

Trackdays: 10+

check out cherokee park too
Chlamydia. I think I might name my daughter Chlamydia.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

http://www.trh-cycle.org/
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Start off by having her accellerate and stop in a straight line while going through a few gears. Once she gets comfortable with that, have her do some slow speed turns and get used to the bike a little. You can do this in any empty parking lot or field.

Just trying to save you a trip to the trails for nothing.
I know my girlfriend would give me the finger if I just gave her a bike and tried to take her straight to the trails.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Start off by having her accellerate and stop in a straight line while going through a few gears. Once she gets comfortable with that, have her do some slow speed turns and get used to the bike a little. You can do this in any empty parking lot or field.

Just trying to save you a trip to the trails for nothing.
I know my girlfriend would give me the finger if I just gave her a bike and tried to take her straight to the trails.
Yeah, I have a place behind my house for her to practice on. Yeah, she wouldn't take it very well if I just tossed her the bike and said "have at it" hehe.

Thanks for the posts everyone!!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
kstrs
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Bike(s):
Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjsammich View Post
Looks like a cool place....had a privately owned place like this in San Antonio where I used to ride.

Do they let potential new members out for a free or paid one time visit?
Yes, the owner will likely discount your membership fee the cost of the day ride if you want to check the place out.

I wouldn't recommend shnf as a place to take a new rider, it is illegal to ride anywhere but the trails (or directly to/ from where you pit) she will likely find the riding difficult (sand, roots etc...)

As mentioned Cherokee cycle park would prolly be your best bet, although its farther than the others it has open areas for beginners to ride as well as some decent trail riding. On weekends the place gets packed with quadtards who spend thousands pimping out their machine so they can tear up the kiddy track & camping areas (or do 3.5mph on the trails) but its big enough that you can usually have a good time.
kstrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrs View Post
Yes, the owner will likely discount your membership fee the cost of the day ride if you want to check the place out.

I wouldn't recommend shnf as a place to take a new rider, it is illegal to ride anywhere but the trails (or directly to/ from where you pit) she will likely find the riding difficult (sand, roots etc...)

As mentioned Cherokee cycle park would prolly be your best bet, although its farther than the others it has open areas for beginners to ride as well as some decent trail riding. On weekends the place gets packed with quadtards who spend thousands pimping out their machine so they can tear up the kiddy track & camping areas (or do 3.5mph on the trails) but its big enough that you can usually have a good time.
Thanks for the advice!! I'm hoping to pick up two bikes by this weekend. I imagine places will be packed with it being the holiday....might keep her in the backyard for saturday and see how she does. If she feels pretty good maybe we'll try one of these places out on monday.

Thanks for the posts guys!!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

NW Houston....
Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I'm new to the dirt and don't know much about anywhere, but there is a MX track (290 Cycle World @ 290 and FM2920) about 30 minutes NW of BW8 and 290. It was fun for me, but wouldn't suggest a noob try it out.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #13
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

I've done the MX stuff before....enjoyed it but I guess I'm getting old and looking mainly for trail riding this time around, hehe.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
Twitch
yep.

Bike(s):
CRF250x

Send a message via AIM to Twitch Send a message via MSN to Twitch
Don't take her to Sam Houston. Sand, Roots, Whoops .. Not the easiest place around.
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
kstrs
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Bike(s):
Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjsammich View Post
Thanks for the advice!! I'm hoping to pick up two bikes by this weekend. I imagine places will be packed with it being the holiday....might keep her in the backyard for saturday and see how she does. If she feels pretty good maybe we'll try one of these places out on monday.

Thanks for the posts guys!!
Good luck, if you get set up shoot me a pm... There will likely be a few of us heading to cherokee this weekend. Or if you want to let her try it out before you buy her a bike let me know, I've got a ttr125 she can get her feet wet on.
kstrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 AM   #16
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrs View Post
Good luck, if you get set up shoot me a pm... There will likely be a few of us heading to cherokee this weekend. Or if you want to let her try it out before you buy her a bike let me know, I've got a ttr125 she can get her feet wet on.
I appreciate the offer. I'm supposed to be picking up an XR100 from a moto member later on this week. We'll see how she handles it and, if she's comfortable, I'll send you a pm and let you know when we're heading out.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #17
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

Figured I'd follow up with my post in case anyone was interested.

Picked up a KTM 300EXC for myself and a TTR125E for my fiancee. We headed out to Sam Houston National Forest on saturday and had a blast. She did pretty well for her first outing. Trails were pretty easy for her except for a few spots here and there that we either loose sand or rutted.

Definately want to get back out there again and explore some more....so let me know if anyone goes out there regularly and can show me around a bit!!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #18
Twitch
yep.

Bike(s):
CRF250x

Nice! .. The KTM 300EXC = AMAZING. Rode one for the first time at a KTM Demo at Red River. Sam Houston is a fun place, what trail head did you take?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #19
pbjsammich

Bike(s):
06 sv650 nekkid

Yeah I'm pretty impressed with the KTM....definately has a lot of snap to it and overall a pretty comfortable bike. It's a 96 so I won't brag too much about it...it's in good shape and it was CHEAP!!

We parked at Kelly's Pond camping area and went from there. Didn't go too far out....just kind of looped around the trails in that area. I'd really like to do a day of riding the trails out there....at a little faster pace than this last time
Old 05-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #20
Twitch
yep.

Bike(s):
CRF250x

Yea Kellys Pond is good. Once you get a nice pace going it gets good. First day the roots killed me but I got use to it as the more i started riding. I haven't ridden in a while and might go with ya some time if ya need someone to ride with.

Advertisement