MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #21
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito View Post
i just spray on some wax every time i ride before. i thought the rest of the steps where kinda excesive.
dood you gotta clean that thang!

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best way to clean chain lube off wheels AYEELE General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 12-13-2013 12:54 PM
How to Clean Chain and Lube? SaidNoJuanEver How To's and Q & A's 23 11-19-2012 09:42 AM
Bel-Ray super clean chain lube flinging onto tire zombiejesus General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 10-27-2010 09:15 AM
What do you use to lube your chain? CaJuNsOuLjA How To's and Q & A's 31 04-03-2007 01:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #22
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rnz450

every time i pressure wash it. so about once every few weeks. is that really that big a deal
Old 05-15-2008, 12:54 AM   #23
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
If cleaning the chain becomes a regular thing, you merely need a red rag soaked in a small amount of WD40 to clean the grime off before you relube...

The only way its gonna get cleaned or lube is if you do it...
Old 05-15-2008, 05:12 AM   #24
JBIRD5363

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
01 50
85 Honda atc 250 sx
95 dr 650

steph its cool my phone dosent work i would think you could just ask i have some good chain lube in my tool box come get it when you get a chance or i could leave it at dads this weekend i think he has some too at the house
JBIRD5363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #25
FJRmgm

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

If you aren't going to bother cleaning it, don't bother spraying it with WD40.

WD40 will clean the off the chain and that is the most important thing.

Modern O-ring chains have all the lube they need sealed inside them.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #26
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmart2 View Post
so, i've put about 1500 miles on my '07 ninja 250 this past month and i read some where (can't remember where though) that it's good practice to clean and lube the chain every 500+ miles or so. is this something I could do myself, or is something better left to a professional (like say, ummm...Tim!)?

If this is something I could be trusted to do on my own, how do i do it??? what items will i need, ect...?

any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

-Stephanie

If you get a chance come by and pick up some chain lube and we'll show you how to lube and adjust your chain no charge.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #27
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybikes View Post
Beat me to it! I'd highly recommend attending one of these classes.
+ 2 that quick class really taght me a handful of helpful tips on maintaining my machine. just make sure ur bike isn't the most screwed up bike out of the attending group. that's how i met dude i remember standing next to him when patrick went outside to glance at all the bikes and choose one to put on the jack and demonstrate what stuff to work on. gary looked down at the floor and muttered " oh man i know he's gonna pick mine " and boom! he did. the first thing patrick said was " have u ever cleaned ur chain? " that was a good mornin. what up gary
lbjasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #28
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
If you aren't going to bother cleaning it, don't bother spraying it with WD40.

WD40 will clean the off the chain and that is the most important thing.

Modern O-ring chains have all the lube they need sealed inside them.
WD40 will destroy the orings on the chain. It will dry them out in a heartbeat because its not a lubricate, it has an alcohol base. Thats why we say to put it on a rag and clean off the muck on the chain. WD40 is only used on my bike for the chain and when the kickstand and levers begin sticking from riding in the rain.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #29
skmart2
Stephanie

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIRD5363 View Post
steph its cool my phone dosent work i would think you could just ask i have some good chain lube in my tool box come get it when you get a chance or i could leave it at dads this weekend i think he has some too at the house
hey cracker! sorry i haven't been able to call you this week...my sidekick crashed and i lost all my #'s and it's not allowing me to accept calls. anyhoo, PM me your number so i can put it in my work phone to have as a back up
Old 05-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #30
skmart2
Stephanie

Bike(s):
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
Hi Sweetie, lots of people have lots of advise, but on Ur bike, its not gonna take much U ride so easy and not too much power to stretch chains like a bigger bike, and prolly wont need the grunge brush, just spray it down with some cleaner or wd 40 and apply some chain lube/wax but getting it warm by riding first does help, If U need anything just let me know, I,ll do it for free if U like and show U how as well also
Thanks Tim! i just figured i would give it a shot since it's going to be a while before i can take off during the week again to make it out to the shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
If you get a chance come by and pick up some chain lube and we'll show you how to lube and adjust your chain no charge.
it would def. be more fiesable for me to make it into your shop since you guys are open on Saturdays. I am going to try to make this Saturday morning if that's ok?

I really do appreciate everyone's input! thanks everyone
Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #31
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

on my last bike the engine never lasted long enough for the chain to matter... too bad too, it was fun while it lasted.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #32
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
I warm up the chain before and after cleaning.

I use store bought lamp oil and a stiff brush (not a wire brush!) to clean it off.

I then wipe off or use a pressure washer to spray off any excess and residue from the lamp oil mixing with the grime.

Then I ride around for about 10min, give or take, to get the chain warm again and fling off any water left from washing it off. Pop the bike up on the rear stand and spray the o-rings down with some lube.

Simple enough.

Moose use to make a chain cleaning box. All you would do is hook a string to your rear set, clamp the box on the chain (filled with chain cleaning solvent) and walk the bike in circles for a minute or two. It had brushes on the inside that did the work for you. That thing worked AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! But they don't make it anymore, and I can't find it anywhere.

-Adam
Old 05-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #33
skmart2
Stephanie

Bike(s):
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post

I use store bought lamp oil and a stiff brush (not a wire brush!) to clean it off.

I then wipe off or use a pressure washer to spray off any excess and residue from the lamp oil mixing with the grime.

Then I ride around for about 10min, give or take, to get the chain warm again and fling off any water left from washing it off. Pop the bike up on the rear stand and spray the o-rings down with some lube.

Simple enough.

Moose use to make a chain cleaning box. All you would do is hook a string to your rear set, clamp the box on the chain (filled with chain cleaning solvent) and walk the bike in circles for a minute or two. It had brushes on the inside that did the work for you. That thing worked AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! But they don't make it anymore, and I can't find it anywhere.

-Adam

man that would be great! too bad it's not around any more i think i'm gonna take Patrick from Motorcycles Unlimited up on his offer to show me. i'm more of a visual learner and want to be sure i'm doing it right. thanks for the tips
Old 05-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #34
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post

Simple enough.

-Adam
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...in-cleaner.htm

You meant that? Looks like a cool idea but according to that review doesn't work so hot. You could just put it on a rear stand run it in first gear and hold a grunge brush. same thing basically.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #35
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...in-cleaner.htm

You meant that? Looks like a cool idea but according to that review doesn't work so hot. You could just put it on a rear stand run it in first gear and hold a grunge brush. same thing basically.
That's exactly what I was talking about. Trust me, the box works like magic. I've used it many times (when I had one to use that is), and it seriously made the chain look brand spakin new. It's tricky to get on the chain at first, but once you get used to it, it does wonders.

But yea it's basically the same idea, except less work and the solvent it comes with works great!

Not all reviews are right my friend.

-Adam