MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Archell

Feedback Rating: (0)

Engine Problems - Any Advice?

A friend of mine has a sportster that had been sitting up for a while and wouldn’t start. Went to take a look and the plugs weren’t firing – changed them out and it started like a champ. Since it had been sitting up for a while, I flushed the fuel system / carb with solvent and let it run for about 20 minutes. I decided to take it for a spin - it ran great for about 10 minutes, but then it backfired a few times, started to lose power and eventually crapped out - wouldn't start back up. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and then it fired right back up. It was still backfiring, but after idling for a while it eventually stopped so I took it for a spin again. Same thing – ran great through the whole range of rpms (had it up to 65mph), but after about 20 minutes it started to backfire and crapped out again. This happened one more time. My first thought was the carbs b/c it had been sitting up, but when it ran it was smooth through the whole throttle range and idled great. The way that it backfired made it seem like it was something with the timing, but it would only happen after it had run for a while. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Archell is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problems problems problems Aunnest General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 07-12-2015 10:09 AM
problems... BoyO Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 4 06-18-2010 01:29 PM
Still having problems!!!! Crystalline Off Topic 18 05-07-2008 10:20 AM
engine problems Poptarts How To's and Q & A's 10 09-12-2007 04:29 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Probably still a fuel mixture issue. Did you remove and clean the carburetors or just throw some cleaner stuff in the tank? It may have to also do with the cooling system.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Drain the whole tank?

Excriment in the tank can heat up with the engine temperature below it and clog the filters... TL and three others didn't believe me until it happened to their bikes...

Does this happen after you open the choke? Or just after riding w no aggrivation?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Archell

I didn't clean the tank, but I did pull the hose at the carbs and it was getting plenty of gas...Also pulled the air filter and put my hand over inlet to put plenty of juice in the carbs...Runs fine with the choke open or closed (once it has been on for a while)....Would a lack of gas make it backfire like that? Thanks again
Archell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Sounds like dirty carbs and/or the diaphrams ruined from your carb cleaner.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
AZ slide

Experience: 4 years

Send a message via AIM to AZ slide
clean carbs and check out the air filter
AZ slide is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement