MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Sherroid
BabyBoyBusa

Feedback Rating: (0)

Newbie on Gixxer 1000!

Hey so I'm a newbie. I had a 50cc at 8 years old. Since then rode maybe three times up and down neighborhoods on friends bikes. I was in the market to get on again with a 600cc. I know/knew a 1000cc was too much for me right now because I did my homework.

Here comes this sweeeeet deal for a 1000cc. I could buy the bike and resell it for at least $500 more easily as it would still be well below average retail. Hey, I jumped on it! After all was said and paid for I just watched it and said I was just gonna resell it..... I let it sit in the garage that day til 12am at night and cracked...I jumped on it! Man I rode til about 4am.

It was sweeeeet!

Now I'm 35, super-cautious, no need for speed, and a seriously defensive driver. All that and there's just one thing any other newbie should take from my experience: The bike's are honestly too much. You can't have any fun on it or you're risking death. The things are just tooo fast and tooo responsive. So for anyone thinking about jumping on something big for the first time here's my list of negatives from hands on experience.

1. You can't have fun. You can't 'let it go'. Riding with friends is somewhat fun but you're sitting there slow-poking and everyone listening and watching you struggle through gears and what-not. Why? You're riding with what you've learned and not reflexes. Until you're riding with reflexes leave these things alone or have no fun.

2. You better be strong. I'm 225lbs. and no stranger to free weights. I've needed it. You're always one turn from dropping the thing and it takes away from the fun. Still, strength alone isn't enough to keep a bike up. U can't know this until you're on it. Slow and awkward turns are recipes for trouble. And going off pavement unto gravel??? Better watch out my friend.

3. Traffic. I ride at night when there is no traffic at all. Been in traffic a little. Your vision is limited on these things and it is scary (Strangely, your vision is like driving an 18 wheeler except you can pivot and look back...which is still dangerous). Not being able to ride in traffic means you can't go to certain places at certain times...no fun.

4. The throttle, clutch, brakes (front or back?) always leave you just one mistake away from crashing or dropping the bike. Plus, you don't have the experience at low speeds to get yourself out of a jam. Cars (and the bike itself) assume that since you're on a bike you can drive it like a car. This, for me, is the single reason I'm leaving the thing alone. As I'm working through the gears and brakes and what-not my mind is thinking on what to do next. When something unexpected happens, and they've already have, I'm left to the mercy of the other drivers or what's directly in front of me because I can't quickly shift gears and accelerate/brake as needed. The only reason I haven't crashed four times is that there wasn't anything in front of me or drivers were cautious and bailed me out. Seriously. The throttle....one bump and zooom! Hit it just a little too hard and zooom! Better keep your hand on that clutch cuz you're going to be holding on for dear life...and whatever is in front of you is what you're hitting...better hope it's open pavement. Been there...done that.

5. Fun. It's just not as fun because there are too many limits and chances to crash. If you try and have a little fun you're just asking for trouble. People come up on the side of you revving their bikes testing and playing with you. Girls want you to 'hit it' or get on the back (a big newbie no-no). Hey, it's not just skills that's tempting you. I mean, you finally get this bad azz bike and can't have fun...trust me, it'll you off (This is the true test, you either get off and get somethin' proper or you push your luck).

6. Bottom Line: You can't ride until riding is reflexive. Only luck will save a newbie on these monsters or you WILL CRASH AND/OR DROP IT.

Look I did my homework on what I should ride and knew this wasn't for me. But I also wanted to relay to others who're thinking about it and wanted an honest opinion on what it ACTUALLY is like riding something "too big." Fact is, you can ride these things if you're super careful, super lucky and have cash to fix it when you drop it (Did I say lucky?). I lucked out so far but I'm not pushing Lady Luck. Sadly, the Gixxer is going up for sale. (I was gonna keep it until I can ride but the insurance is $273/month from Geico!!!! Geeeez!!!)
It'll be sad to see it go but I know a 600 is in my sights. I got a few newbie friends on 600s and they all said they could at least have a little fun after a short while. I can't wait! With the sweet deal I got I should be able to clear a few pennies on this deal anyway.
Sherroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gixxer 09 1000 M@tt General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 05-29-2009 07:54 AM
Blake? Used to own a Gixxer 1000 or still may own one. txferrari Off Topic 12 01-16-2008 08:53 PM
180HP Gixxer 1000 TxVrod General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 09-20-2006 01:52 PM
K7 GIXXER 1000 PHOTOS FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 06-22-2006 11:39 AM
New color gixxer 1000 chasee69 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 09-14-2005 06:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

First...WELCOME!
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years

Member Garage

2nd and welcome.
You must of had a lot on your mind LOL
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Haha long first post, Welcome to MH

Check w/ other insurance companies, if you're looking for full coverage check out State Farm. $273 is insane for 35 years old, unless you have tickets or accidents
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Welcome old noob.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
txgsxrbob
THE SH*T STARTER IS BACK

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 1K SOLD !
2012 R1 Moto GP replica # 1287

WELCOME !!! 1 more SUZUKI to the board !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
NOW WHERE IS TXGSXRBOB WHEN WE NEED HIM????
txgsxrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
Sherroid
BabyBoyBusa

Thanks!

I got two speeding tickets. They'll be on my record til July.

U know the scariest part? Coming down 288 and ramping to 610 around that curve. Here I am a newbie at about 2am and here comes Mr.Azzhole in a truck behind me barreling. I'm trying to brake cuz I'm not used to fast corners and he's trying to race me thinking I'm experienced.

He's riding my azz at 65 coming to the corner. I'm trying to brake but not too hard that he rear ends me. I can't downshift or brake because the corner comes too fast and he's RIGHT THERE with lights blinding me. I said fu** it and braked a little anyway and dipped into the corner. About halfway out I hit it a little putting space between us. I must have thrown fifty fu** you signs to the guy and a few other things.

Like I said, people assume cuz you're on the things you know what you're doing.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
onewheelmoto

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR1000

welcome to MH and i think you need the 600 or smaller
onewheelmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
Sherroid
BabyBoyBusa

Wink

I'm taking the BRC June 7th and 8th.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
Welcome!!

How much do u want for the 1k, I need ANOTHER?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
Sherroid
BabyBoyBusa

I'm going to post it for sale tonight or tomorrow for sure here in the classifieds and craigslist.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
amber|alexis

Experience: 4 years

Member Garage

welcome to the fam! Hope you enjoy your stay!

amber|alexis is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement