MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #61
SPHINX
Ominous Misanthropia

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 ZX6R
2005 749S

Send a message via AIM to SPHINX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
what good will that do. if they got the keys from him they likely got the alarm remote.
I always keep my remote in my pocket detached from the key...even when I'm riding. that's why I was asking.
SPHINX is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sweet end to a stolen bike story-stolen in 1967 grsa General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 11-05-2013 11:09 PM
BIKE STOLEN - please keep an eye out. Eddy.T Off Topic 10 05-12-2008 10:40 AM
BIKE STOLEN!! PLZ KEEP AN EYE OUT!! DuBwEaR General Discussion (Moto Related) 92 04-14-2008 03:04 PM
Don't normally agree with Cheney but we see eye to eye on these 2 issues... CaJuNsOuLjA Off Topic 5 02-24-2007 08:07 AM
Keep an eye out for this bike Greenway Smokey General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 10-20-2006 11:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #62
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxGRUBZx View Post
no full coverage
He said he was covered on theft through State Farm.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #63
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
This same thing happened 2 my customer about 5yrs ago. He was at a gas station pumping gas, dude with a glock walked up on him and told him to finish pumping the gas if i'm not mistaken, and took off.

I woulda tried 2 kick the bike over as he tried 2 leave,

I had someone do that with me in my Integra back in the day, off Westheimer and 610 at that Shell station.:/:
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #64
PB125

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSXR 750
2002 Suzuki SV650

Quote:
pop his as he tries to ride off. (wait would that be illegal) ? probally a sholder holster eaiser to unzip the main and grab rather than the pocket.
2007-2009 Legislative Update effective Sept 1, 2007 states:

$46.02. Unlawfully Carrying Weapons
* Biggest change is that it will no longer be a crime for most people to carry concealed weapons in their motor vehicles, even if they do not have a CHL.
Specifics:
* For a person who does carry a handgun in a motor vehicle owned or controlled by that person, there is now a separate offense under new section (a-1) that only makes the act a crime if:
1) the hand gun is in plain view; or
2) the person is:
a) engaged in criminal activity other that a traffic offense
b) otherwise prohibited by law from possessing a firearm (past conviction, active protective order,etc); or
c) a member of a street gang

(Yes...a motorcycle is a motor vehicle. Therefore, a gun in a tank bag or such would most likely be without a problem as long as it's concealed. As far as carrying on the cyclists person, I'm not sure but, I'm sure to carry)

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
they say you drive like a mad man
PB125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #65
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB125 View Post
2007-2009 Legislative Update effective Sept 1, 2007 states:

$46.02. Unlawfully Carrying Weapons
* Biggest change is that it will no longer be a crime for most people to carry concealed weapons in their motor vehicles, even if they do not have a CHL.
Specifics:
* For a person who does carry a handgun in a motor vehicle owned or controlled by that person, there is now a separate offense under new section (a-1) that only makes the act a crime if:
1) the hand gun is in plain view; or
2) the person is:
a) engaged in criminal activity other that a traffic offense
b) otherwise prohibited by law from possessing a firearm (past conviction, active protective order,etc); or
c) a member of a street gang

(Yes...a motorcycle is a motor vehicle. Therefore, a gun in a tank bag or such would most likely be without a problem as long as it's concealed. As far as carrying on the cyclists person, I'm not sure but, I'm sure to carry)

Good Luck
Don't want to be a stickler, but don't you think it be a little hard to pull from ANY concealed location, while a gun is in your face?

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #66
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
Don't want to be a stickler, but don't you think it be a little hard to pull from ANY concealed location, while a gun is in your face?
I wouldn't advise it but a very talented shooter in close proximity can draw fast enough if they use a disarm technique and / or distraction to their advantage. This first video is of Jim Zubiena. This clip is used as a training video at a lot of police academies to show the speed of a highly trained shooter. He was an IPSC Grandmaster in the 80's and Michael Mann picked him specifically for this scene in Miami Vice. The original show was not slowed down or edited in any way. The guy who did the youtube clip did it in slow mo to point out a few things.

http://www.thegunzone.com/software/zubiena2.html

The second vid is Tom Cruise in Collateral. He supposedly went through quite a bit of firearms training for this movie. In this scene he starts from a surrender position (hands in air) and shoves the BG's gun hand out of the way with his weak hand while simultaneously drawing from concealment and firing two shots from the hip. BG #2 is met with a perfectly executed mozambique drill, two handed strong hand, then finishes up BG #1 with a nice head shot.

andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #67
PB125

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSXR 750
2002 Suzuki SV650

Quote:
I don't advise any person to be a hero. I merely answered the question as to whether it's illegal or not to carry. There are TONS of "what-ifs" in any situation. But, yes. I do agree it would be difficult to pull a handgun from a concealed location in a hurry.
For arguements sake, based on the thread starter, The victim, as he walked across the street, could have capped the SOB (Suspect) as he attempted to ride away.

Quote:
Old 05-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #68
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

gotcha

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #69
Daytona_Rider
3rd Ward PoPo

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2007 Daytona 675 - Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_618 View Post
to my understanding, you can now carry a gun in your car due to the castle law. that should apply to your bike as well. so you can acually carry a gun while riding without a chl. I just went to a chl class and the instructor said the same thing.

If you do...it better be hidden on your bike somewhere. If you have it on your body, as soon as you step off the bike you are breaking the law if you don't have a CHL.
Just like in cars, the gun has to be concealed inside the vehicle and remain there. It cannot come out of the vehicle unless you are on your own property.
If you carry on a bike it has to be concealed on the bike....under the seat, in a bag, etc. Which as someone already pointed out would defeat the purpose of having one anyways. Now they have your bike.....and your gun.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #70
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
This was pulled straight from the Tx Penal Code.

A person is justified in using deadly force against another if he would be justified in using force under Section 9.31 of the statute when and to the degree he reasonable believes that deadly force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force, if a reasonable person in the same situation would have not retreated. The use of deadly force is also justified to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, rape or robbery.

The highlighted section is the most important part here. Is a fleeing suspect that no longer poses an immediate threat justification for use of deadly force? These are the same elements that a grand jury would look at in a self dense case that involved deadly force.
but isnt there another law that says you can use any force to get your "loot" back?

i think its the same def. they are trying to use in the horne case
Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #71
PB125

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSXR 750
2002 Suzuki SV650

Quote:
If you do...it better be hidden on your bike somewhere. If you have it on your body, as soon as you step off the bike you are breaking the law if you don't have a CHL.
Just like in cars, the gun has to be concealed inside the vehicle and remain there. It cannot come out of the vehicle unless you are on your own property.
If you carry on a bike it has to be concealed on the bike....under the seat, in a bag, etc. Which as someone already pointed out would defeat the purpose of having one anyways. Now they have your bike.....and your gun.
While I agree with you as far as under the seat (defeats the purpose) or in a bag being a better place to carry your weapon but.....Also included in this ruling.......
* A second new "negative element" of the offense that also must be disproved by the state (prosecution)in every case is that a person is not "inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control."
* A person's premesis or premesis under that person's control

layman's terms......to and from your vehicle. I would believe (not the Gospel) that carrying a gun on a cyclists person would be OK ON THE BIKE.

Quote:
Old 05-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #72
Ogre
Ancient one

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaflatoonx View Post
Thanks to all for the kind words...

I know its a materialistic loss - but i am sure you all know what this "material" means to us riders...

Update:

The officer called - and said this pair tried the same thing with a car last night.... and shot the guy while trying to do so.... the guy is okay cuz the bullet didnt damage any vital organs....
They have not recovered my bike yet - and as every hour passes by - i loose that hope...

i am not sure what CHL is -
but i will look into it...

to everyone else - ride safe, ride in groups, or ride with a ****IN GUN.

These guys like to put a gun to your head so they can take away what you have - if you get a chance - point a gun to their when they try to run and just ****ING SHOOT. you are doing everyone else a favor.
In spite of the comments about what you shoulda done, know that you did the right thing for your situation. Your number 1 priority, when a gun is pointed at you is to 1). stay alive and 2). not get shot or hurt. You accomplished both of those things. Trying to save the bike is a distant third. In the overall scheme of things, the bike itself is relatively trivial though I know it's immensely aggravating to lose one to theft.

Congrats for acting in a manner that let you live to talk about it. Condolences on losing the bike. I hope it's recovered intact and that the carjacking predators die young.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #73
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
He said he was covered on theft through State Farm.
so why is he saying he cant get a new bike ??? ... if he already has answered this im sorry i jst dont feel like going back through all these pages
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #74
Eddy.T

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Diavel
2005 GSXR 600
2015 Ducati Diavel

when i got full coverage - i said the bike is worth 4 grands...
even if the insurance company is nice enough to compensate for the whole thing... i would need more to actually get anything decent...

i have to pay my brothers international tuition fee - so i will probably use that money for that...

will get a bike next year when he graduates....
Eddy.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #75
Ogre
Ancient one

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
Or in this case (from what I have read in this thread) preventing them from robbing someone else AND shooting them.
I can see it now: "Why yes, Mr. Prosecutor, I shot him in the back to prevent him from committing the crime that I am sure he would have committed against some unknown individual at sometime in the future." You get jail and his "family" and their contingency fee lawyer get to come take everything else you still owned in the civil trial for wrongful death.

You would be foolish to try to use such an argument. You can soot out of fear, but not out of anger. Better to argue "Mr. Prosecutor, I was sooo scared after he held that gun in my face. I was afraid the he was going to shoot me as he was pulling away, even though I had complied with his demands. I thought I was going to die right there in the street."
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #76
PB125

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSXR 750
2002 Suzuki SV650

Quote:
"Mr. Prosecutor, I was sooo scared after he held that gun in my face. I was afraid the he was going to shoot me as he was pulling away, even though I had complied with his demands. I thought I was going to die right there in the street."
PERFECT!

No one can tell someone else how they are feeling at any given situation. From that point of view, whose to say you weren't about to yourself.

Quote:
Old 05-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #77
Daytona_Rider
3rd Ward PoPo

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2007 Daytona 675 - Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB125 View Post
While I agree with you as far as under the seat (defeats the purpose) or in a bag being a better place to carry your weapon but.....Also included in this ruling.......
* A second new "negative element" of the offense that also must be disproved by the state (prosecution)in every case is that a person is not "inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control."
* A person's premesis or premesis under that person's control

layman's terms......to and from your vehicle. I would believe (not the Gospel) that carrying a gun on a cyclists person would be OK ON THE BIKE.

Only to and from your vehicle on YOUR property, ie your house/apt. not to and from your car/bike at Wal-Mart or Billy Bob's Liquor Store.
If you walk away from the car/bike with a gun on your person in public and you do not have a CHL you are breaking the law.
UNLESS like already stated...you are either going DIRECTLY to your car from your house or going DIRECTLY to your house from your car.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #78
Nonsense

Feedback Rating: (-1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1999 CBR 600-Wrecked
2000 GSXR 750-Sold
2001 R1-Sold
2005 GSXR 750-Wrecked
2005 GSXR 1000

Sorry to hear this.
Hope they are ridding your bike and someone jacks them!
That would be some funny !
Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #79
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_Rider View Post
Only to and from your vehicle on YOUR property, ie your house/apt. not to and from your car/bike at Wal-Mart or Billy Bob's Liquor Store.
If you walk away from the car/bike with a gun on your person in public and you do not have a CHL you are breaking the law.
UNLESS like already stated...you are either going DIRECTLY to your car from your house or going DIRECTLY to your house from your car.
How about to and from work. My mom owns her own business. She does not own the property but she rents the storefront. Could she walk from her car to the business? My mom actually asked me to post this. Plus I work here also. Could I do the same even though I don't rent it? But I am a signer for the company. Christmas time gets kinda sketchy. There have been several car jackings and roberies at gunpoint.
TheMagicMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #80
RinasDaddy
When in doubt, restart!

Bike(s):
10 Speed :(

Dang that's pretty scary, at least you still have your life
RinasDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement