MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
chadmod

Feedback Rating: (0)

VTX1800, got a few questions...

An older guy at work has a very nice VTX1800. It has V&H exhaust, power commander, and some type of air filter... anyways, my question is.. How fast is his bike?

Hes allways saying "Oh the other day, some kid on a crotch rocket cruised up next to me, and i smoked his " and, I beat 600's with no problems... My engine is 3x the size!

He also says, "Not only is this faster than a sports bike, its more comfy, and at higher speeds you sports bikes get blown all over the freeway, this VTX just cruises right along, with no windblasts..."

So I guess my question is, How fast can his bike really be?
chadmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 questions! zikaprevail General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 06-02-2014 01:00 PM
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
few questions yz117 How To's and Q & A's 20 09-14-2010 03:11 PM
VTX1800-F bigdaddyty General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 01-18-2010 08:17 PM
Questions Gideon Performance and Modifications 13 04-18-2007 01:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

He's a liar. Although it is more comfy, he was being honest there.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Check this out:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Honda--VTX-Drag-Racing.html

They are fast, but not as fast as your average sport bike.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
definately blowin smoke. cruisers feel like at high speed. anything over 80 and you're body's getting blown around too much to be comfortable. and there's no way he's running around beating 600's unless they don't know he's racing them.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
chadmod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
Check this out:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Honda--VTX-Drag-Racing.html

They are fast, but not as fast as your average sport bike.
Ironically, his looks identical to the "faster" one running the 11.3 at 115...

I dont really expect it to be faster than my R6, but it doooooooes look nice, and ride smoooth...

I was just looking for an idea on how fast they are stock. Im assuming the slower 12.4 at 105 was stockish, and the low 11, was decently modded...
chadmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

he's full of .
The v-max's are still one of the fastest "crusiers" out there #s wise and most 600cc and up sportbikes will reel them in, in the quarter.
1/8 mile tho it would come down to the rider.
tell your friend to do a little research or just go to the track and see how fast it really is.
He may want to stick to the 1/8th tho to not look SO bad.
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #7
blkbeaz28

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 3

Just show him what a "lil" 600 cc can do
Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
Mic

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
C14
WR450
CRF110F
TTR110

Send a message via AIM to Mic Send a message via MSN to Mic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmod View Post
Hes allways saying "Oh the other day, some kid on a crotch rocket cruised up next to me, and i smoked his " and, I beat 600's with no problems...
Maybe they didn't know they were racing? :dontknow:

dragtimes ZX-6r

Quote:
1/4 Mile ET: 10.470
1/4 Mile MPH: 131.230
1/8 Mile ET: 6.713
1/8 Mile MPH: 105.670
0-60 Foot ET: 1.627
I think just about any current 600+ sport bike would make short work of that cruiser.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #9
AWD
Cruise'n

Bike(s):
'06 600rr

Send a message via AIM to AWD Send a message via Yahoo to AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmod View Post
An older guy at work has a very nice VTX1800. It has V&H exhaust, power commander, and some type of air filter... anyways, my question is.. How fast is his bike?

Hes allways saying "Oh the other day, some kid on a crotch rocket cruised up next to me, and i smoked his " and, I beat 600's with no problems... My engine is 3x the size!

He also says, "Not only is this faster than a sports bike, its more comfy, and at higher speeds you sports bikes get blown all over the freeway, this VTX just cruises right along, with no windblasts..."

So I guess my question is, How fast can his bike really be?

Wait till you start hearing about speed from Harley owners. Save yourself the headache and just nod, smile and agree. lol

On a side note, awhile back I had a run in with a 109r on the freeway. Not a VTX, but almost 1800cc's I believe (just checked 1783 and a little lighter). Not sure what he had done, but it did have aftermarket pipes. Sucker was loud. I'm cruising at around 75 and he would flies past me hitting the hazards. He did this twice..lol I down to 4th...pull next to him, give him a thumbs up (I like those bikes) and slowly go about my way. About a car length or two ahead of him, I look in my mirror. I see him tuck, drop his wrist and the front in rise a bit. As he gets closer I down to 3rd and just roll into it. All he did was get smaller and smaller in the mirror. Stock '06 600rr
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
tru_pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Wait till you start hearing about speed from Harley owners. Save yourself the headache and just nod, smile and agree. lol

On a side note, awhile back I had a run in with a 109r on the freeway. Not a VTX, but almost 1800cc's I believe (just checked 1783 and a little lighter). Not sure what he had done, but it did have aftermarket pipes. Sucker was loud. I'm cruising at around 75 and he would flies past me hitting the hazards. He did this twice..lol I down to 4th...pull next to him, give him a thumbs up (I like those bikes) and slowly go about my way. About a car length or two ahead of him, I look in my mirror. I see him tuck, drop his wrist and the front in rise a bit. As he gets closer I down to 3rd and just roll into it. All he did was get smaller and smaller in the mirror. Stock '06 600rr
gawd ricer...................lol
tru_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
definately blowin smoke. cruisers feel like at high speed. anything over 80 and you're body's getting blown around too much to be comfortable. and there's no way he's running around beating 600's unless they don't know he's racing them.
I would say when I hit triple digits on the Vmax it gets that way:/:
Quote:
Originally Posted by train460 View Post
he's full of .
The v-max's are still one of the fastest "crusiers" out there #s wise and most 600cc and up sportbikes will reel them in, in the quarter.
1/8 mile tho it would come down to the rider.
tell your friend to do a little research or just go to the track and see how fast it really is.
He may want to stick to the 1/8th tho to not look SO bad.
straight Mike...
Old 05-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #12
DEMON
That's "Mr. McLovin" 2 U

Bike(s):
GTR1400
VTX1800 supercharged

the VTX 1800 is a very comfortable smooth bike at high speeds... it will top out about 135 mph... they run low 12's in the 1/4 mile. They will not keep up with a sport bike if the sport bike rider knows what to do...

I had a 1300 VTX, lots of my friends ride the 1800... I have riden the 1800 and raced them in the 1/4 mile while I rode a V-rod.

tell you coworker to keep dreaming... he has a nice cruiser but not as nice as he claims it is.

The VTX is so smooth at high speeds you can ride that bike all day long... I have done some 600+ mile days on a VTX. I like my ultra classic better mostly because of the radio and the better gas range on the VTX you have to refuel around 120-130 miles on the ultra I get around 180-200 miles per tank.

Advertisement